Is concerta a narcotic?

tinamarie1

I have always heard this, and I know at one time a pharmacist told me this when he had to make a copy of my drivers license and I had to sign some weird statement when I picked up a refill.

Can someone confirm or deny this?
husband says technically it is a narcotic by medically not so much. I am trying to find a source online that says it is.
(this is just for debate purposes....difficult child is on concerta and we have no problems with it)

W

Wonderful Family

Concerta is considered a controlled substance-but not a narcotic; any of the stimulants for ADHD fall into this category. Different states have different requirements; but typically - they don't even allow for normal refills; you have to have a new physical prescription for each refill.

Sheila

It's a controlled medication, but it's not a narcotic.

From a partial Table of Contents at http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/abuse/doa-p.pdf (US Drug Enforcement Adm):

1 The Controlled Substances Act
13 U.S. Chemical Control
16 Introduction to Drug Classes

18 Narcotics
20 Opium
20 Morphine
21 Codeine
21 Thebaine
21 Heroin
22 Hydromorphone
23 Oxycodone
23 Hydrocodone
24 Meperidine
25 Methadone
24 LAAM
25 Buprenorphine
25 Dextropropoxyphene
25 Fentanyl
26 Pentazocine
26 Butorphanol

31 Stimulants
32 Cocaine
34 Amphetamines
35 Methcathinone
35 Methylphenidate
35 Anorectic Drugs
36 Khat

39 Depressants
40 Barbiturates
41 Benzodiazepines
41 Flunitrazepam
42 GHB
42 Paraldehyde
43 Chloral Hydrate
43 Glutethimide & Methaqualone
43 Meprobamate
43 Newly Marketed Drugs

48 Cannabis
49 Marijuana
50 Hashish
50 Hashish Oil

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
the pharmacy laws here in NJ have just been getting more and more strict, my poor Aunt who was a Pharmacy Cashier just got booted out of her job because she has a record from when she was young (she's 60 now)

Holliewho

I have always heard this, and I know at one time a pharmacist told me this when he had to make a copy of my drivers license and I had to sign some weird statement when I picked up a refill.

Can someone confirm or deny this?
husband says technically it is a narcotic by medically not so much. I am trying to find a source online that says it is.
(this is just for debate purposes....difficult child is on concerta and we have no problems with it)

Concerta should never be a refill. They ask for the driver's license etc because this way if you say you got it and then come back in again in 2 wks saying you need more they can monitor your amounts. Make sure your not selling them for money instead. Which is why most psychiatrist do not like to write a long scrip for them. They want them back in again in 30-45 days. You can though get the original scrip for up to 90 days but I think that is the max by law.

Medically its not a narcotic but if you were arrested by a cop with excess amounts it would be termed a narcotic because you would be using it to get high and not as a medical substance.