Is it just because it is summer or

W

Wishing4Sanity

is it really ODD and ADHD?

I am kind of new here, been reading for a few weeks but did not really want to post, until NOW.

D, my son, was diagnosed with ODD with high risk of ADHD back in 2007 by a neuropysch. At the time, medications were NOT recommended as part of treatment, just therapy. Due to issues beyond my control, therapy was not able to happen. His SD has repeatedly told me that he is a little behind where he should be but not far enough behind for him to get any type of therapy.

He really is a sweet and loving child, but he does NOT listen for anything. This summer has been H377 on wheels for me. He is extremely overstimulated and we really have no outlet to let that stimulation out. When he is told to come in for a break or for the night, it turns into a MAJOR meltdown. He also has had this thing lately that he must be where I am no matter what.

I am at a loss about what to do. I am at the point where I called our pediatrician and told them how bad the behaviors are getting and that something needs to change especially with school starting soon. We see the doctor on 8/28. I told them I wanted to start him on the lowest possible dose of soemthing to bring him down some notches.

I hope this made sense.

smallworld

In your shoes, I'd want to know for sure what disorder I'd be medicating before asking for medications.

If he has ADHD, it's one class of medications. If it's anxiety -- which it could be because he's not letting you out of his sight -- it's a different class of medications entirely. And if he happens to have a mood disorder, the medications for ADHD and the medications for anxiety make kids with mood disorders far, far worse.

Sounds to me as if you need a further evaluation before jumping on the medication merry-go-round.

susiestar

Roll With It
It also could be sensory issues, which have to be evaluated to see how best to treat them. An occupational therapist does this.

Smallworld is very much on target, though, that you need more in-depth and current evaluation before you jump on the medication merry-go-round.

BusynMember

I agree with another evaluation before medications. Stimulants can be very bad if the child actually does not have ADHD, which is often a misdiagnosis. ODD rarely stands alone, but ODD by itself is not controlled by medicine.
Do you know if ex has any mental health or substance abuse issues? Often parents pass along their lovely genetic problems...I passed my mood disorder along to my only biological child...it does happen...

W

Wishing4Sanity

I agree with another evaluation before medications. Stimulants can be very bad if the child actually does not have ADHD, which is often a misdiagnosis. ODD rarely stands alone, but ODD by itself is not controlled by medicine.
Do you know if ex has any mental health or substance abuse issues? Often parents pass along their lovely genetic problems...I passed my mood disorder along to my only biological child...it does happen...

Yes, DNA donor has SEVERE mental issues, was doing cocaine when I got pregnant(I did not know) and so does 99% of his family. So basically my son is SOL when it comes to mental health issues, since my family has issues as well.

Sorry I took so long to respond, life got in the way.

W

Wishing4Sanity

After speaking with the doctor for 45 minutes, she totally believes that ADHD is NOW officially part of the diagnosis. She saw just a minimum of what we go through with the not listening and impulsivity. She agrees about over stimulation being part of the cause.

She was hesitant at first but the last 30 minutes changed her mind. She gave me a list for counseling places and FIGHTING for the transportation in order to make the counseling appointment. YAY!!!!

She also advised STRONGLY that I NOT tell the school and let them tell me what is going on with him without the prior knowledge of medication!!

So, the medications that she prescribed are Strattera 10mg every morning. He starts tomorrow. What should I be aware of, be cautious of? What I did read is that this medication is NOT a stimulant, which is great.

PRAYING that I actually did the right thing and the medications do help him.

DazedandConfused

Is the pediatrician prescribing the Strattera?

Just something I learned the hard way and I will pass it along to you. Pediatricians are out of their area of expertise prescribing such medication. They are GPs for children. It can be very difficult for the medical professionals THAT DO have the expertise to get it right. Please, be careful.

Now, many of us on here started with the ADHD/ODD diagnoses. That may be what your son has. I find it interesting that a Neuropysch diagnosed the ADHD and the ODD. Usually, when one gets an evaluation by a neuropsychologist, it's a grueling process taking days of testing. Yes, if you child as ADHD, it will be very difficult for him to get through the process. I no longer use the ADHD label for my son. I prefer the simple "hyperactive", and it was very obvious during testing because Son needed several breaks. Even having to do jumping jacks in the parking lot outside the Npsych's office and then running around the whole complex of buildings. Anyway, generally Npsychs don't have a specific test for ADHD that I know of. So, I'm wondering what test exactly indicated ADHD? There should be a report stating all tests that were given.

There is no medication for ODD. Most times, ODD is no more than a description of oppositional behaviors that manifest themselves for various reasons. Finding those reasons is the tricky part is something that many of us can testify to.

Like previous responses, I would be looking for opinions and evaluations done by people that specialize in treating children with behavioral/mental disorders before starting medications.

Sara PA

Strattera is an SNRI (selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor), one in a class of drugs approved in some countries as antidepressants but in this country only for the treatment of ADHD. It has all the same warnings an any other antidepressant including a black box warning about suicidal ideation in children.

Many parents report that it does help with focus but a lot report psychiatric side effects including hostility, aggression, "just plain nasty" which generally leads to discontinuing the drug. Some parents say the side effects started almost immediately, others notice problems beginning around three months. That's pretty much the way it works with antidepressants.

Didn't the doctor advise you of what psychiatric side effects you should be watching for? She should have.

W

Wishing4Sanity

****UPDATE****

I have been so busy with school for D and I that I have not been able to post an update. I am sorry.

We went back for a medication check one month ago and the doctor was very glad to hear that he has improved 75%. We continued medications were they were.

We went for a conference this past week and D got a glowing report from teacher. This teacher knew D from bus duty and said that he knew who he was BEFORE the school year even started. Scary thought. However, he has seen such a different D, that he is very glad that D has a parent that is actual concerned with his behaviors and hid academics. Phonics is the biggest thing that D is struggling with.

New goal for him: one day with all 12 checkmarks in the very good section, and he gets a gift, if he does it before Christmas, he will get double the gift. It will be a struggle but worth it if he can do it!! Which I know if he tries, he will do it!!!!

Sorry I have not updated.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Good for you and for your son!!! It is nice to read that something is working!
Keep up the good work.
One thing I would suggest is keeping a journal with updates on his moods attitudes etc. Everything from weight gain, to sleeping habits, eating habits.
Just in case things change or you feels something is not right or the medications stop working, you can look back and see when and maybe why.