Is it just me? Does anyone else get a PMS power surge?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I noticed that sometimes before my cycle starts I get a surge of energy and go off on a cleaning frenzy. It's almost like that "nesting" period some people go through during pregnancy. And I'm very testy when I'm going through this, too. (It was great, everyone avoided me today and I got a LOT done! :redface: )

Is it just me? Anyone else like this?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Not me. I didn't start getting "power surges" until I hit perimenopause and those weren't the type that made me clean....just made me sweat my rear end off. (the only thing that got clean was me because taking a shower in the middle of the night does that to you)

Some people with PMS do get anxious and hyper along with the usual depression and crankiness.

I'm quite relieved that the egg factory finally shut down a few months ago. I had horrible periods/PMS/endometreosis, all that fun stuff.

Menopause is a wonderful cure for PMS.

Seriously, I don't see why PMS couldn't make you clean like crazy, especially if that's a normal response to stress in your case. (Only thing that makes me clean is not wanting to live in filth--I HATE housework)

Marguerite

I never got PMS and never got the menopausal hot flushes. The worst problem I got with perimenopause was dangerously heavy periods. I was even preparing a stand-up comedy routine, in dubious taste but very therapeutic. I went on HRT and they stopped, like turning off a tap. But two years later when my blood pressure began to climb, I was about to be put on anti-hypertensives - and I said, "How about I come off the HRT instead?"
And my BiPolar (BP) went back to normal. But the heavy periods had gone. I waited for the power surges, "tropical moments", I've also heard them called, but nothing.

I am delighted.

While I never had PMT, I DID have painful periods for the entire time (however many decades). I was told that they should ease in severity after having a baby.

Nope.

So although I never had PMT, I still had a lot of problems. I paid my dues.

I hope your power surges ease off soon for you.

Marg

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You're lucky, Marg. The whole mess started for me about three years ago. Hot flashes, sweats, the whole thing, and with the endo, periods were a nightmare to the point that I sometimes had to take opiates for the pain when ibuprofen didn't work.

I had the 'maiden' part, missed the 'mother' part, and am, now that my cycles have ceased, am officially a "crone" (Wiccan religious reference--the goddess is believed to have three "faces")

I had hot flashes so bad I used to go outside in just my pajamas...in the dead of winter. Mine were noticeable, too. I'd turn bright red and start dripping sweat.

Icky. I'm just glad it's over even if it means I'm getting older. Now that I'm over that and the peri stuff, I'm waiting to see if my brain comes back, too.

I have a good friend, who simply stopped cycling. No problems/symptoms at all. I hate her (jk)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Gvc, I get power surges/ My gyno tells me it's related the early stages of perimeno. Not sure how old you are, but mine started at about age 38-ish, went away for a bit, came back. I like the power surges (which is really a hormone HIGH) but I sure hate when my hormones bottom out because the opposite of that power surge leaves me feeling quite drained and sad. If you don't mind the power surges and you're not experiencing any bottoming out, no need to worry yourself.

jal

JoG,

I get those too. I had been on the pill for a long time and when I turned 35 I went off of it. At that point I could always tell when my cycle was coming because I too get those power surges. I get so much accomplished around the house, but more and more I find after that power surge I do feel like I'm bottoming out in terms of being sad and very irritable. I will be 37 this yr and I've noticed too my cycle had changed. I figured that may be what coming ahead. Not looking foward to going through that!

I better check my calendar...I cleaned out the fridge this weekend!

Lothlorien

I'm completely opposite....I get an overdose of tired. I wish I got a surge of energy, but sadly, no.

Last edited:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
...but more and more I find after that power surge I do feel like I'm bottoming out in terms of being sad and very irritable. I will be 37 this yr and I've noticed too my cycle had changed. I figured that may be what coming ahead. Not looking foward to going through that!

Jal, my cycle is still like a clock - always on time and the same time each month, however, it's is shorter cycle. It used to be exactly every 30 days. Now it's about 27 days. On the exact day before I actually get my monthly, I just feel like I can't get out of bed and my whole body just aches. I usually cancel any plans I have for that day and lay low. What else can you do? I kind of like the power surges!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I get them. I think it balances out my complete will to #(%U slap everyone. But I said it with a SMILE.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't get these cleaning urges EVERY month, but when they hit I am usually due for my period within days and I clean like a fiend. And I'm irritable.

But I also do get weird sleep things that happen. For a week or so before, I have a hard time shutting down my brain before midnight. And then the day or two before the period starts, I'm falling asleep at 8:30pm. And then it starts all over again.

By the time we start to figure our bodies out, something else changes.

I would love to be able to harness that energy I get during the rest of the month... my house could sure use it. Just don't know if my family could survive the emotional rollercoaster!

Star, some people ENJOY being #(%U slapped with a smile... :D No one I know, though... (snort!)

Well, I got nothing done today... we were gone at a basketball game. So it will be interesting to see what my mood and energy allow to happen tomorrow! Will I be the Motivated Maven or the Lazy Lady?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Chicken Lady - I always thought the "nesting" was just before delivery (hatching) of a baby. ;)

Never experienced this - seriously I was a slug the week before & a few days after my cycle started.

I'm now post-menopausal & do not miss any of this. Nope, not a bit.