Is it too political

klmno

to give my opinion on Elizabeth Edwards and whether or not this baby is John's? If not, here it is. LOL!!

I think John has a pretty good idea this is his. I think he didn't take a paternity test because he is trying now to stand by Elizabeth for her remaining time. I don't think people should be pushing this- it is Elizabeth who will suffer most right now and this could do her in. I believe that once Elizabeth's time has passed, he will take the test and be involved in the baby's life. I really believe that he has only refused this test and not wanted this to be focused on because of Elizabeth's terminal prognosis and that people should respect that.

I know- it's controversial- what are others' thoughts on this?

DammitJanet

Is he paying child support now anyway? I should probably know more about this story than I do shouldnt I? Hometown boy and all...lol.

If he is paying support just in case its his...well then I guess it isnt that big a deal even though the kid should have him in his life if he is daddy. Emotionally and all.

I dont know...if he wasnt a big shot he would be forced to take the test, ill wife or not.

klmno

You bring up a good point. I was under the impression that the woman was wealthy, but I could be wrong. Also, he's being investigated for a shadey payment of about $100,000 to her business, I think. I don't think he's innocent here, or that the baby shouldn't have him in her life, I just feel sorry for Elizabeth and do believe he's trying to consider her situation. I could be wrong- he could be a real louse.

KTMom91

I agree that Elizabeth should have a certain measure of peace since her illness is terminal. After that, let the story hit the National Enquirer.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
It was my understanding that they were separated and she was facing her illness with support from her family, children and friends - that John was not all that involved. I would imagine (and likely be wrong!) the she wouldn't really want him around her all that much these days. She seems to talking a lot about what's transpired in her own right, so in a way, it's free game for the media. If she (and he) were to remain silent and keep it as a personal private matter, then I could see the test waiting, the media keeping out of it, etc....but they opened the door.

She's a very strong, patient and loving woman (from what I know of her through her publicity and the media). I find it hard to to believe she'd want him hanging around at all or giving a darn about the paternity of the baby at this point. She's got to have her health in the forefront of her mind, no?

I always liked him - it was such a disappointment when the news broke.

SRL

Everything I've read said it was the mistress that was refusing the paternity testing. Anything outside of that test is purely speculation.

As much as I think JE was a schmuck for doing this to a terminally ill wife, I think it's very odd for Elizabeth Edwards to be doing the book and book tour thing at this point. The whole story had died down and now it's risen back to the surface again.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
As much as I think JE was a schmuck for doing this to a terminally ill wife, I think it's very odd for Elizabeth Edwards to be doing the book and book tour thing at this point. The whole story had died down and now it's risen back to the surface again.

Maybe she is just finally having her say? Maybe she was in shock at how the media picked up on it way back and only now has found her voice and is ready to talk about it? Maybe she needed time to organize her thoughts and very personal feelings about it and finally can comment? Just a thought.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE

This has me totally perplexed, also. I don't get it. I can see Jo's point of giving her a voice but I just don't understand why she would want to air their dirty laundry in public again. Money? The book and her tours must certainly be generating a lot of dough. Is that the legacy?

Is this kind of "purging" beneficial or hurtful to her physical and/or emotional health? I have no idea.

Suz

Lothlorien

I didn't watch the show. I've been hearing about it on the news. I find it a little bizarre. If she divorced him and wrote it, I'd understand. I don't see how airing his and her dirty laundry is helpful for this marriage. I certainly see this as a career buster for him....doubt he'll be running for a high office again. So, other than the money or humiliating him, what's the point.

By the way....this isn't about politics, klmno. It's just about a famous couple with marital issues.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I saw some of the interview - and thought it odd that part of the agreement that she do it was that the other womans name was not to be spoken outloud.

She referred to the baby as "it". I am always amazed, appaled, amused that people try and do the "revisionist history" speel. John told her it was once, and the other woman bated him, she believes his **** and bull story, and she's sticking to it despite quite a few people of "that" woman said the affair went on over a year, and that it was his baby.

All I can say is Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. She has pretty much neutered him for the rest of his life, and whats he going to do, dispute the version of a terminally ill wife? I can hear them at home in my head 'whatever you say dear"

Being in the public eye does strange things to people..

Marcie

BusynMember

He is a total scumbag. I'm thinking more of Elizabeth than his mistress. I'm sure he pays her well and the child is compensated. Maybe she can find a better role model for her baby than him, although she can't be anything great to be having an affair with a man who has a terminally ill wife.

And I wanted him to be President at one time. :mad: Jerk.

I don't care why Elizabeth is doing it. I'm sure she has her reasons. Maybe she wants to have her say before she leaves this earth. I don't really care. He's the dirtbag, not her.

SRL

I remembered this thread about John Edwards and thought it would be timely to bump it up in light of his announcement yesterday that he was the baby's father.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100121/ap_on_re_us/us_edwards_daughter

His earlier was hardly plausible given the last photos I saw of that baby looked just like him. He sure would have been a lot better off to admit it all during the first round than to wait until he was forced by the inevitable tell-all book.

Nancy

She's taking a lot of criticism for how she is handling this. I can't think this is good for her emotional well being at this difficult time. She has so much negative energy around her right now when she needs all the positive energy she can get to fight this disease. I know this is not the way I would want to spend what precious time may be left.

Nancy

klmno

I've heard this news but haven't read that article yet. My guess is that he got tic'd after reading Elizabeth's book and figured he was better off now just admitting it. I really think he was denying it before just to try to help Elizabeth get thru her last years. Well, that's how he probably justified it to himself anyway.

Lothlorien

Doncha just love it that even though we all KNEW the truth, he wouldn't admit anything until his hand got smashed down with the lid of the cookie jar? Without a doubt, this whole thing was just political suicide on his part.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I thought I read somewhere that the aide of John Edwards, the one who professed to be the baby's father (probably at John's urging) was writing a tell-all book and that was why John finally claimed the baby was his...... Elizabeth probably knew it was coming...... I think she knew it would all come out and I hope she left him at the curb, but what do you tell your children about their father? Not easy when you consider her health situation and the kids will probably end up with him......

Oh, and SCUM comes in all political flavors........

klmno

I think it's all too sad for many people- mostly all the kids involved. The only good thing- he's got plenty of money to provide for their needs in that respect. They will have advantages that the unknown, poor dead-beat dads' kids never have.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I still don't understand why they would air their personal, private business. Now that her husband isn't running for office, it's none of our business. Why does she want us to rehash it?
Most of us come to grips with the catastrophe's in our life without writing a book or going on tour.
Her feelings of betrayal are something we can all relate to but how she is punishing him is pretty public and somewhat vindictive.
As many of you have said, this can't be good for her emotional health.

muttmeister

Put me in the camp that thinks it's really none of our business. I don't understand how we got to the point that we all seem to want to live vacariously through celebreties and politicians. I have places to go, books to read, causes to volunteer for, traveling to do, friends to see.... I don't give a rat's behind what any of them are doing to and with whoever else and I don't see why it is newsworthy. Are we all that sick that we have to look at people who have hit bottom to make ourselves feel better?
I find John Edwards to be a slime ball (even though there was a time I would probably have voted for him). If he were running for office, I can see that we would want to know the details but his political future is nonexistent already. I feel sorry for Elizabeth, although at this point I doubt if any revelation will come as a shock to her and I wonder how much she knew but didn't admit early on. Not that it matters. I feel sorry for John and Elizabeth's children. I think the mistress is a slime ball too. Anybody who knowingly has an affair with a married man deserves whatever trouble they get. It's called being responsible for your actions. I feel especially sorry for the baby; can you imagine growing up and every few years having the tabloids do a story about "Where is John Edwards' love child today?" but as long as people keep buying and reading that trash and they can make a profit they will keep publishing it. Who can blame them? The reason we are so inundated with this trash is that we (meaning the country collectively) keep putting out money to read and hear about it. If people quit paying attention we would hear much less of this garbage.