Is my boy being disrepectful/rude?

Jane Parry

So, a few days ago me and my boy were at my sisters house. We all decided to sit down on the sofa and watch a film.

My sister and quite the chatterbox and I know for sure that my son likes to concentrate on films so he does not miss any important bits. My sister tried to make a remark about the scene that was happening but my son keeping his eyes glued to the TV covered her mouth with his hand effectivley gagging her. She tried to speak under his hand and then started making muffled sniggers under his hand.

He removed his hand about a minute later still watching the TV. My sister did not seem fazed by it.

As it was happening I saw my sister was laughing and seemed completely fine so I just smiled and continued watching the film.

Should I have stopped him?

MommaK

I, personally would have. To me if either of my kids did that I would take it as rude and or disrespectful. My daughter doesn't realize when things she does seem rude or disrespectful. She is very blunt, so I'm having to be very intentional about pointing it out to her to help her learn. If your sister knows how your son is about watching movies and talked during the movie anyway, I'd take that as disrespectful of him as well as his placing his hand over her mouth as disrespectful. I have to tell my daughter multiple times a day that even if someone is rude or disrespectful to her that it does not excuse her behaving rude and disrespectful to them. That is just my take on things tho. I may be way off in my assessment of the entire situation. I was raised in the south, and respect was something my mom insisted on towards all people no matter what their age, color, beliefs, or nationality.

Jane Parry

I, personally would have. To me if either of my kids did that I would take it as rude and or disrespectful. My daughter doesn't realize when things she does seem rude or disrespectful. She is very blunt, so I'm having to be very intentional about pointing it out to her to help her learn. If your sister knows how your son is about watching movies and talked during the movie anyway, I'd take that as disrespectful of him as well as his placing his hand over her mouth as disrespectful. I have to tell my daughter multiple times a day that even if someone is rude or disrespectful to her that it does not excuse her behaving rude and disrespectful to them. That is just my take on things tho. I may be way off in my assessment of the entire situation. I was raised in the south, and respect was something my mom insisted on towards all people no matter what their age, color, beliefs, or nationality.

I see. My son is only 5 so do you think that plays a role in it? I will be sure to teach him not to do it if he ever does it again.

MommaK

At that age he is learning to be respectful. My daughter is 14 and there is a big difference. At 5 I would simply say we don't put our hands over the mouths of others. Instead we ask if they will please be quiet. I wouldn't let it slide, but I wouldn't be harsh either. I get that it could seem cute or funny at that age, but when we allow it or laugh at it they will repeat it. Like a toddler being sassy or cussing. People think it's funny, but when we allow them to do it they think it's ok and will do it again.

Ironbutterfly

If focused on a single leaf you won't see the tree
I think it's disrespectful on your sisters end as well. People are trying to watch a movie and someone is talking non- stop is just aggravating. I think telling the son it is not right to put your hand over someone's mouth is correct. Telling him to ask her to please be quiet is the correct handling. But you should also talk to sister for next time. Children learn from the adults around them. You don't want him growing up talking during movies and thinking it's ok behavior either.

Roxona

Was it disrespectful? How would you feel if a man put his hand over your mouth because you were talking during a film?

I agree with MommaK that at the age of 5 he is still learning how to be respectful. If he doesn't learn it now, it will be much harder in the future. My SS10 was not raised to be respectful. Every day he blindly smashes through life not giving a lick of thought of how it is affecting other people. Drives me crazy.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Welcome Jane! Ditto to what the others said. I recommend not using your full name. For anonymity purpose you might want to change your user name :)