Is Parenting A Joy Or A Trial? - Science Daily

R

runawaybunny

Is Parenting A Joy Or A Trial? - Science Daily

In an article in the latest issue of The Psychologist, Dr Nattavudh Powdthavee, of the University's Department of Economics and Related Studies, offers an explanation to one of the most surprising conclusions of recent research into wellbeing -- that having children does not increase our level of happiness.

Social scientists have found almost zero association between having children and happiness," he said. "In a recent study of British adults for example we found that parents and non-parents reported the same levels of life satisfaction. Other studies from Europe and the USA found that parents report significantly lower levels of satisfaction than people who haven't had children."

I found this to be a very interesting article. From personal experience, while I love my kids with all my heart, raising my difficult children has not been a joyful experience. In fact, it's mostly been a negative experience - Lots of stress, frustration, anger, sadness... I feel like I've lost a part of myself while trying to prepare them for adult life... I feel suffocated... trapped...

on the other hand, raising my easy child has been mostly positive. While she is going through her teen years, there are problems. However, these problems are minor compared to the daily HE77 and constant chaos my difficult children create... I'm actually enjoying watching her grow up - Now, ask me the same question the next time her typical teen behavior raises it's ugly head..., lol...

Would I do it all over again? My initial response is NO!!! WFEN

gcvmom

Here we go again!
To me, it IS a trial, but one that has moments of joy. I believe it broadens and enriches the depth of my human experience and makes me a more complete person -- the sacrifice, the humility, the pain all go into making me who I am and appreciative of life all the more. But that's just me. I guess I look at it in terms of "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger."