Is pot a problem for your adult kid?

in a daze

I've never tried it. My sister said it made her super paranoid.

I think it really has a lot of clinical applications. I think I read somewhere that the government is starting to do more research on it. The DEA, I read, has been dead set against this. The trouble with smoking it or eating it is that the dose is not controlled.

Now I remember being pulled to the oncology floor and passing out THC pills (that's the active ingredient in marijuana) but that was like 20 years ago. It was helpful for poor appetite and nausea.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I get random drug tested at work since I work for a steel company and SAFETY is #1. I work in the corporate office but they test us just like the steel mills. I probably would smoke it once in a while if I did not get tested. I have seen many people in high paying jobs here get fired for dirty drug tests that I know were pot.

A good friend of mine recently got introduced to marijuana and smokes it rarely but really enjoys it and I think it would be fun to smoke it with her. We'd probably die laughing (I could seriously use a night of total laughter) and then pig out! LOL

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Youngest tried it in high school a few times, and it made her ultra paranoid. I came home from work one day and she thought she was dying.. I was convinced she'd gotten some pot laced with something else. Took her to the ER, they tested her, and nope, was jut plain old THC. They said it just affects some people that way. To my knowlege she never did it again. Not much, anyway.

Oldest has used it for pain control, usually baked into something. I've read that people with Crohn's can be helped with cannibas oil too, and wish it were legal here for medicinal use so she could try that instead of some of the heavy duty medications she's on (immunosuppresants, etc.) Quite honestly, I'd rather she used pot for pain vs. the pain pills she has gotten so addicted to. It's not that simple though.

I have several friends that still smoke recreationally. They're all productive, successful adults. To me the addictive nature of pot is similar to alcohol - some folks are able to enjoy/consume it responsibly, and some have an addictive personality and become addicts and add more dangerous substances as time goes on. A lot of D C 's tend to fall into the latter category, unfortunately.

I do think overall, pot is less dangerous than alcohol (by itself, anyway). Just my opinion, though.

New Leaf

Child of the 70's pot was sold in our high school ready rolled for fifty cents, (guess that's why they called it high school).
:smartass:..... More like dumbass......

It made me silly and my imagination would go wild, then I would get the munchies. Wrote my best papers on the stuff.........

Definitely think it changed my mindset. It was all about partying. My friends mom was a nuclear activist and gave a talk in our class about nuclear weapons and all that, I thought the world was going to end, so "might as well enjoy."
That lasted from 14-18....I graduated, held jobs, then decided that was enough of the party life.
I think both my two tried pot in middle school. From there it went up and down for awhile, and they nosedived maybe five years ago. Found out Tornado was mixing pot and crack and eventually that learned that Rain was on meth. Sigh.
The kids in my neighborhood smoke pot
and it...s t I n k s.
I don't remember it smelling so.....pungent.
The stuff we smoked way back when, was sweeter and lighter smelling. I am convinced dealers mix it with all kinds of stuff. I wouldn't trust it.

I am not opposed to medical pot. I do think it has a usefulness. I would rather use it for pain management if I had to.
Pain medications are scary.

Is pot a problem for my two? Yes. Their problems stem from initial pot use to graduating to harder stuff. If it was pot, they would probably overdo that, too.

They just can't seem to do life, without being high.

That is a problem.

Leafy

pigless in VA

When I questioned a psychiatrist as to why my husband became psychotic from smoking weed (that was not the only drug in his system), the psychiatrist told me that the marijuana of today is 10 times stronger than that of the 70s. He said he sees "a lot" of marijuana induced psychosis.

From my own observations, my husband's reaction was atypical. I grew up with many, many people who were frequent users. I always preferred them to the angry alcoholics. The potheads were laid back, calm, and quiet, if a bit silly.

I wanted to add my brother in law's life to this discussion. When he was a young man, he was very popular with the ladies. His first serious girlfriend was an unstable person. She physically attacked him during arguments. My husband viewed him after one of these attacks and said, "it looked Iike he had been attacked by a wild animal. His body was covered in bite marks and burns." There was never a second girlfriend in my brother in law's life. He was a severe alcoholic. To his credit, he did stop drinking alcohol, but he continued the daily pot use. What I saw was a basically a good man, but a man who was emotionally stunted.

His life revolved around work (he was good at his job), smoking weed and collecting pets . . . many, many pets. When we would see him at family gatherings, he was always very uncomfortable and would spend a great deal of time outside smoking. When we went to my in-laws' house for holidays, brother in law spent the majority of his time asleep or watching television. This extended family would often rent a beach house for a week during the summer. brother in law introduced all of his cousin's kids to weed on these vacations. Due to the knowledge of that and his complete lack of safety issues, I simply could not allow brother in law to take my kids anywhere unsupervised. My late husband and I discussed this many times. Neither one of us felt confident in brother in law's ability to keep the kids safe. I know that was extremely hard on brother in law after my husband's (his brother's) death. He loved my kids very much and wanted to spend time with them. I couldn't allow it. I knew he was still smoking weed daily. It is my opinion that brother in law's self-medication is what kept him from coping with my husband's suicide. Three years later, brother in law took his own life in the same way.

brother in law was a hurt man. His choice to daily wash his pain away with weed kept him from finding a wife and having kids of his own. He said something years ago which sums up his life. He had just had his fortieth birthday and he said, "I still think like a kid!" He was a middle-aged child - no maturity whatsoever.

ksm

My adult son uses pot some, and gets edible items from a nearby state. He has had a difficult time with his back, and was addicted to pain pills, because he has had two spinal fusion surgeries at age 26 and 36 (L5-S1 then L4-L5). Very rocky recovery. Then two years ago, at 39, he had a sudden cardiac arrest and have to have CPR for 8 minutes until EMS got there and used the shock paddles. Now has a defibrillator installed In case it happens again. He confided to me that he does use it for his anxiety and back pain. But at least he no longer takes any Rx pain medications. He works about 55 hours a week. So he is adulting, and I don't say anything... I just hope he never gets drug tested for work or any accident... KSM

KTMom91

Not for Miss KT or Son #2, though we are concerned about Son #1's habitual use. And his greenhouse full of plants. About a year ago, I was really suffering with chronic leg/hip pain that I just couldn't ease, and he offered me some of his special baked goods. Being pretty desperate, I accepted.

I guess the pain went away. I don't know, because it put me to sleep. I still hurt when I got up again, though.