Is Retesting Necessary?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Pam R, Nov 18, 2007.

  1. Pam R

    Pam R New Member

    DS started his neuropsyche testing in September 2004. He is very resistant to testing. It took his doctor until March of 2005, doing weekly testing (and retesting the ones he blew off) to finish it with something resembling where he actually was.

    Fast forward to now. We are starting the IEP process to get him where he can get extended services after 18 and adult services after that.

    The school wanted the testing done over, as it was over 3 years since it was started. The doctor said only some of it needed to be done, as some would not change, i.e. IQ, etc. She agreed to do the bits that might change.

    We did not want the school doing it for several reasons:
    1. His resistance
    2. The doctor's persistance in getting true results
    3. DS's intense dislike of the school psyche person
    4. Our bad history with the school
    5. The school decidedly does NOT have DS's best interests at heart

    So the school at the first meeting rejected the original report with-o even seeing what was in it. They wanted the testing done over. I expressed that the doctor felt just some parts needed redone. They agreed to that.

    That was in early September. I've been after the doctor to get authorization and start the testing. The school has completed the Occupational Therapist (OT), academic assessment, and speech & language. (DS did blow off the academic but seems to have co-operated on the other 2.)

    I finally confronted the doctor about when testing would start. She's not even put in for authorization, having decided NONE of the testing needed to be done.

    So I told the school. They said they would NOW look at the old testing and decide. I sent them the old testing and they say they will accept that, as while it's older than 3 years at the start, it was not finished in over 3 years, just over 2 yrs old.

    I told my advocate about this and she feels that new testing SHOULD be done, by the school if necessary. She does know why we did not want the school to do it.

    My question:

    What do any of you know about the testing, time periods, and the pluses and minuses of doing vs. not doing the testing over?

    As far as I can tell, not much has changed with DS. The ODD stuff is much less, as long as he's stable on the food program. But it comes roaring back at the first wobble. Other than that, he's much the same as he's always been.

    I don't know where to stand in the advocate vs. doctor thing. I think I need to know more, but have no idea what that should be. I have until early January, when the next meeting is, to find out.

    Thanks for any help or info. :thumbsup:

    Pam R.
  2. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful


    Is there any possible way you can have the testing done Privately and leave the school out of it, just hand them the report when you're done? Would your insurance cover it?

    I had all of my kids testing done privately. I wouldn't let the school evaluation either of them. They spent to much time and effort trying to pull the IEP out from under Travis as it was, even though he qualified for many reasons, not just a single diagnosis. :rolleyes:

    School didn't like it, but they had no choice but to accept it.

    With the other evaluation taking so very long, and difficult child better because of the diet, a new evaluation might go smoother and you'll get more accurate feedback from it. If it were me, I'd retest, but I wouldn't have the school do it.

  3. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    I suggest that you recopy your question and post it on our Special Education board.

    My gut feeling is that if the testing is already 2+ years old and you're going for a first time IEP, the school district is justified in asking for a new set of test results. Extended services into adulthood can be very costly and strictly from a taxpayers point of view, they do have the responsibility to know exactly where the student stands before granting those services. A doctor or parent telling them nothing has changed isn't as justifiable as cold hard test scores.

    I would be more concerned for the long term (getting accurate data to justify appropriate services) than the short term impacts of missed periods.
  4. Pam R

    Pam R New Member

    Daisylover wrote:
    > s there any possible way you can have the testing done
    > Privately and leave the school out of it, just hand
    > them the report when you're done? Would your insurance
    > cover it?

    This is what we were trying to do, but the doctor refused to retest. As far as going to another doctor, we had a hard enough time finding this one. We'd have to travel farther than we do, to find another and we just can't afford the gas.

    As far as the school accepting it, my advocate here in Mass. said that the school may chose to look at any report we have done, but they are NOT required to accept it, if they have not done it.

    The way to work it is to have them do it, then WE don't accept theirs, and then the school must pay for a second and private assessment.

    DS is already 16.75 yrs old and he'd be at least 17.5 yrs. or older if we try to get it done by someone else, if he would co-operate, and IF they would take the time the first doctor did.

    I agree on not wanting the school to do it, but the advocate suggested that if he doesn't co-operate with the school testing, it's further indication that he can NOT function in a school setting and with school personnel.

    So it's more for me to think on. Thank you for the ideas.

    Pam R.
  5. Pam R

    Pam R New Member

    The point about not taking the parents' word for it is very valid. Odd I had not thought of that given the circumstances.

    I will also post to the other board.

    Thank you for the ideas.

    Pam R.