Is this a gimmick? Should I save my money?

Arielle

I am not sure if I am allowed to post this here, but I wanted to get opinions before I spend over $300.00 for a program. Has anyone heard of http://www.thetotaltransformation.com/Default.aspx and is it worthwhile to check it out? Does it work or is it just a money getting scheme? It looks to be genuine. Sometimes, however, appearances can be fooling. My daughter's psychologist does not put much faith in it. Then again, she is the one to lose out with respect to her weekly bills of $100 if the program does work. So, I wanted to get an unbiased opinion from you folks. Thanks for any replies.

LittleDudesMom

Ariella,

I don't know if it works. I have heard it advertised on the radio.

I think my general feeling would be sceptical. Anything that is "one child fits all" just doesn't have the history of working with our complicated and complex difficult children. But, you have to do what feels right for you.

Sharon

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
I would be leary. If it worked that well we'd all be using it! I wish there was a box of stuff we could order to make it all better but I somehow don't see it happening. Just my 2 cents
-Dara

CrazyinVA

Staff member
This quote in the FAQ page bothered me: "Children with severe autism, profound mental retardation, and disorders that result in an inability to communicate will generally not benefit from the techniques outlined in The Total Transformation® program. But their parents will definitely benefit from the parenting concepts taught in the program."

Seems to me many psychiatric disorders out there "result in an inability to communicate." I'm not sure this program is for difficult children like many of us have. Any benefit a parent might get from the "parenting concepts" could also be gotten from many books that are readily available about parenting difficult children. Not to mention from advice on these boards. I wouldn't waste the money, personally.

Star*

call 911........call 911
There are no quick fixes. At this point with a 17 year old difficult child and EVERYTHING we have done (sans this program) I am skeptical that ANYTHING works other than putting them in LONG term therapy and getting some family therapy to learn how not to fall apart and be a united front, stick to the rules and grow a spine.

My vote would be - if you think it is going to be an answer = get it.
If you have doubts - you'll see me there.

Hugs
Star

witzend

I found this outside review of his work. I'm not sure how "independent" it is. It sounds as though there would be more costs than the initial $300, but if it works, why not?

Honestly, it looks a little "Slick" to me. It kind of reminds me of this woman I used to work with who was a groupie of Dr. Wayne Dyer. You know, the lecturer and author of "I'm OK, you're OK". BB was one of the most bitter, superior thinking people I'd ever met. She had me picked out for some reason, and would hound me and made my life at work miserable. We didn't really depend upon each other for work, we were just there at the same time. But I'd come around a corner and I'd hear her telling my boss "Did you hear about Witzend? What an idiot!" It was more along the lines of "I'm OK, You're not."

I guess what I'm saying is that the web site and all of the self promotion using testimonials from families gets my B-S-o-meter
going. Too much like groupies.

Arielle

Thank you everyone. I am going to first do a couple of things before I get this program. First, I just ordered The Explosive Child by Ross Greene and 10 Days to a Less Defiant Child: The Breakthrough Program for Overcoming Your Child's Difficult Behavior"
Jeffrey Bernstein. I also ordered some DVD set for Parenting the Explosive Child (which only set me back $59.00). I hope these can give me some insight as to how to better deal with my difficult daughter. If not, I will try the Total Transformation. I need help with a less than supportive husband who thinks that daughter is a normal child that just acts out at times. (He seems to do all the fun stuff with her that does not require her to listen.) It seems since she spends most of the time with me that this anger and defiance is directed mostly towards me and my Mother, as well. husband gets it to some degree, but nowhere in comparison to me and my Mom. I really feel lost and alone in this and at my wits end.