Is this legal?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by Liahona, Sep 6, 2013.

  1. Liahona

    Liahona Guest

    difficult child 3 had an iep today. I was told that because I homeschool my kids I am refusing FAPE and they didn't have to provide services. LEA actually read to me the district policy. Before they would provide Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) or Occupational Therapist (OT) services I just had to bring them in. Now the iep goes out the window.
  2. svengandhi

    svengandhi Well-Known Member

    Do they mean not homeschool or did they mean you have to bring them to school to receive the services and that they won't send someone to your home? I know in my state, homeschooled students can't participate in extracurricular activities but I've never looked into services. Have you gone to your state's education dept. website and checked or called the state to inquire?
  3. Liahona

    Liahona Guest

    I haven't called the state yet.
  4. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    I depends on the state. In Wisconsin, if you homeschool, you get no services at all from the public school. They do not have to offer them and they don't. They don't even have to offer any services if you decide to put your child into a private school. They only need to give services to children enrolled in public schools, and that's all they usually do. I know it's not the same in every state though. Wisconsin also doesn't mandate any testing at all for homeschooled kids. Every state handles homeschooling separately.
  5. Bunny

    Bunny Active Member

    I know in my district unless the child is enrolled and attending school they will not get services, but that can vary from state to state.