Is this normal for a teen girl?

K

Kjs

Neighbor girl who has never ever come home from school - came home yesterday. Collapsed at school. Throwing up. SEVERE cramps.

All that from cramps? She is 15, only 6 weeks older than difficult child. But that just sounds awfully painful for a young girl.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Could be a miscarraige but could also be "just" cramps. I have always had issues with my period and have had some severe pain. Another thing this could be is an ovarian cyst. That would produce some major pain. It could also be her appendix...I had a friend in high school whose appendix burst because her idiot FEMALE doctor blew her pain and symptoms off as period related. I would suggest she go to the doctor ASAP to rule things out.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My first thought was Appendicitis!!!! She needs to see a Dr - asap.

I have heard of debilitatingly painful period crampsm but just to be sure, she should be seen.

TerryJ2

I vote for an OBGYN to be on the safe side. Could be a miscarriage, could be an out-of-what hormone system.
I was like that as a teen, and ended up on the pill. I've had 2 or 3 D&Cs along the way, as well as ablation.
There is no rest for the weary.
I hope she feels better.

BusynMember

I got very sick with my period every month as a teen (and older). I didn't throw up, but I totally got such bad cramps I would almost pass out. I had to go home too. I found it very embarrassing.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have a friend from high school, a very close one, who had most of that with EVERY period until just about 5 yrs ago. She finally got a doctor to listen and see how bad it was. They did an immediate hysterectomy and she has never been so happy to have surgery in her life.

She used to sit there and try not to breathe because every single movement hurt so bad. We talked her out of suicide many times (her parents didn't realize how bad it could get and they had a lot of problems with her gfgbro and her mom's health so she didn't tell them the full extent of things at the time.) and would get her a job at places we worked so we could cover for her as needed. Otherwise she lost several jobs because it was just so awful.

There SHOULD be doctor visits, GYN and reg doctor, and in that much pain? A trip to the ER.

It could be many things, but some women are just cursed and have awful periods. NOW medicine can help ease the pain, or figure out why it is so bad.

I really hope this won't be an ongoing thing and that she gets medical attention and help (it was over 25yrs ago that we helped my friend, so medicine HAS advanced and should be able to help).

Hugs to her, and to you for being so sweet to worry about her!

Mattsmom277

That's what happened to easy child when her appendix was ready to implode. She was in surgery same day. Oddly, after a entire LONG night of attacks just like that, she was comfortable all day while waiting for the OR to be ready for her. So it doesn't have to last for it to be a appendix. It can come and go. And it is very dangerous. If we had put easy child's symptom off to something else, it would have burst and she likely would be taken from us.

On the other hand, I started my period at age 9. (YUCK!) and until I had difficult child, my periods were THAT bad. I couldn't go to school, later I couldn't work. It was debilitating. I really think no matter what the cause, that kind of cramping has a cause and she should see a doctor who will check and find out exactly whats going on.

How scary!

skeeter

yep. Nausea, vomiting, cramps so bad my legs would go numb. And very irregular and heavy bleeding (sorry if too much information).
I was on the BCP for over 10 years because of this, went back on them in between kids because of it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Could be she's developing endometriosis. Could be something else causing the pain. Her mom should at least get her checked out if this is not a monthly symptom for her when Aunt Flow comes to visit.

svengandhi

If the pain is on the left side and she has rebound tenderness (it hurts not when you push down on the area but when you release and the area comes back up), it could be appendicitis. If it's on the right side or she has her period, it could just be bad periods. My sister's were so bad at that age that even on the Pill, she would miss several school days a month.

Other options might be the flu, food poisoning, gastroenteritis. I remember being laid out on the floor at work one Friday afternoon after everyone else had left because I was new on the job and didn't want to bother anyone. I was supposed to meet 2 friends and they came to my office when I didn't show up. They took me to the ER - I had cramps so severe I could barely stand, was puking and the like. It was NOT a miscarriage because I was not bleeding. It turned out to be gastroenteritis and I was admitted to the hospital with dehydration.

My question is why would the first assumption be that a 15 year old is having a miscarriage?

busywend

I was thinking Endo, too. My cousin had it awful and it caused SEVERE cramps. She would pass out, vomit, etc. She ended up staying home every month for a few days.