is this the bipolar, or reg. kid junk?

Jena

yea me again.

difficult child will often say to me, "when i become famous I will ______". she loves to sing has been an obsession since she was 2.

yet the way she says it to me is so matter of factly. like today she looked at me and said when i'm famous i'm going to give my family alot of money and i'm really excited because i'll be singing with demi lavato also.

there is no laugh, or joke. she just says it like yup that's what i'll be, famous. she sits for hours on my easy child videotaping herself making videos singing again, via youcam.

her energies back. she's more revved up lately again.

is this the bipolar, the "grandiose" thinking part of it, or is this just a very immature almost twelve year old?"

one thing that jerky dr. at the hospital said stuck in my mind was alot of her behaviors were bipolar, the grandiose thing. like when she snuck into pyschotherapy i thought wow good for her. he thought no, she went in there to grandstand, make herself the focus get what she wanted, manipulate.

i watch her alot lately. being im here with-her alone now other kids in school. been watching her behaviors alot. there is a whole lot of manipulation in her and these types of things.

any thoughts on that? anyone with bipolar can relate to a thought like that?

Jena

no thoughts on this one?? husband and i were just talking about it, when he got home. he said BiPolar (BP). we couldn't do movies we planned difficult child had hard night said her mind was racing, couldn't sleep

Wiped Out

Staff member
Jen,
I think it could be but it's hard to say. My easy child/difficult child has always said she will be making a ton of money and buying us a house among many other things. However, she doesn't do the high energy thing and do anything for hours practicing. difficult child, on the other hand (who has bipolar) gets that high energy and grandiose thinking but his is different (I think because of his cognitive delays).

Sorry movie night had to be canceled.

H

HaoZi

I recall plenty of friends and myself doing the "When I'm rich/famous/win the lottery I'm gonna...." thing, I'd consider it normal.

dashcat

If she's combining declarations of being famous with practicing, I wouldn't worry as much as I would if she declared she was going to be famous and then went off to hang out of Facebook for six hours. It's so hard to tell what is BiPolar (BP) behavior and what is just plain kid behavior. My difficult child (who is not diagnosis'd, but she is definately a difficult child) went through a famous singer phase, a famous dancer phase, a soccer star phase AND a famous rock star keyboard player phase. I encouraged her through the whole process, because you never know what's going to stick AND just the pure joy of singing or dancing might have been enough to get her through a particular day. Was it normal kid behavior or the beginning signs that she was a difficult child? I honestly don't know, but I am glad I enouraged her. I never encouraged the "famous" (always part of the equation) thing, but I did encourage her interests and let it be known that, with hard work, you can realize your dreams. Just let your daughter be - let her sing her heart out ... time will telll.
Dash