Isn't this just spot on?

slsh

member since 1999
"They may not experience the problem as within themselves," Duckworth said. "They often see the problem as outside themselves."

This is a quote from Dr. Kenneth Duckwork, who is the medical director for NAMI, related to Richard Jeni's family's revelation that the comedian suffered from severe clinical depression with bouts of psychotic paranoia. He was speaking specifically to the paranoia issue but it just struck me this morning... Isn't this a *lot* of our kids, to a tee? It's all external, has nothing to do with- them. With different parents, school, friends, home, it would be all better, *without* any internal adjustments.

Maybe it's just that the coffee hasn't hit yet this morning, but this really struck me as a really *good* part of the definition of many difficult children.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sue, this statement sounds very familiar - I believe I hear similar versions from both kt & wm's attachment tdocs.

It's very true; it's hard for me to grasp being that unaware on ones' self.

K

Kjs

it is a relief to know I do not have the only difficult child that does that.

Something being a difficult child's fault....No Way!!

K will blame the dog, the TV, his guinea pig, the lava lamp, a stone on the ground, of course us....anything but him!!

Fran

Former desparate mom
I just had the conversation with difficult child this AM. Nothing is his fault. It's pitiful. A good offense is the best defense in difficult child's book. Deflect, act clueless,and blame someone else. Pitiful.