ISO Residential Treatment

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Kody Bug's Mom, Nov 3, 2008.

  1. Kody Bug's Mom

    Kody Bug's Mom Hopeful

    Need a Residential for my 10 yr old son. diagnosis bipolar/adhd at 5 yrs. Extensive history of aggression and violence. Tried all the medications. Admitted to phych hospital 3 times. Is now in the juvenile justice system with court date Dec 1st. If anyone has heard anything good about a particular residential or experience with one, please drop me a line. He doesn't get any better, just bigger and stronger. This is the last hope pretty much. Thanks. And good luck to all of you as well.
  2. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that he is in the court system. My son has been in legal trouble and it's all I can do to keep him from getting a long term sentence- it might happen yet. We aren't supposed to recommend a specific place here and I'm not around Texas so I wouldn't know of one anyway. But, there are many parents here who will understand your situation.

    Can you give us a little more detail? Why specifically is he in juvy? What kind of treatment and testing was he given in the past? What is the school's standing on all this? Did you ever have a therapist involved that did anything other than the typical rewards and consequences routine?

    Oh, and Welcome! I guess with election day being tomorrow things are a little slow today. Hang in there!!
  3. Wiped Out

    Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I'm sorry your difficult child is struggling so much. I don't know much about RTCs but hopefully someone will be along who can offer more help.
  4. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

  5. dadside

    dadside New Member

    I can suggest several places to consider, though none are in Texas. Still, I think finding the best option is more important than finding one near your home Also, as my comments are long and I'm not sure about listing all the names, they are in a private message.

    None of these will be cheap. However, it seems likely that his issues hurt his school performance. If so, you may be able to get the local school to pay much of the cost of a specialized placement so long as education is provided there. (That is another process, and could take several months to see through, but is worth pursuing if applicable as you'd not necessarily need to wait before placing your son.)
  6. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    I know others have had luck using an educational advocate to find the best placement. Best is not necessarily closest, it depends more on what is offered and what the child needs.

    I am sorry you are having such problems. It is very scary. Have you consulted your healthcare or your pediatrician?