It never rains but it pours.

Lil

HAs Cricket Wireless ever called back?

He finally got a hold of them only to be told that they aren't hiring after all. You'd think they'd have said that the first time he called! But it is what it is. On to different jobs (hopefully). He did just call me to see if I knew when the bus would get to the stop closest to our house. So apparently he's on his way to do something!

Lil

Or not. :(

He didn't go. Said he went to the bus stop...also said there was no sign, which is impossible because I've SEEN the damn sign, and he waited but must have missed the bus. Anyway, also said J told him they aren't hiring, so he put some applications in on-line.

Whatever. I'm sick of the whole thing.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Have him call the bus lines offices and ask them for the number of the bus that stops near your house, it's route, and what times it shows up. Then, have him ask them how to get to wherever he has to go. They can tell him if he has to change buses, where to change, and approximately how long the wheeled or rail part of the trip will take.

When I first got back to Chicago in 92, I discovered that the CTA had rearranged its light rail schedules, changed the nomenclature used for the train routes, and complete rearranged what buses ran where when. I must've driven the CTA call center folks insane until I started to figure out the new layout (and got a map).

Your son can actually do this himself. It's part of being a grownup, and he will feel better when he can handle public transportation on his own.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Gosh Lil sorry!

We get our hopes up and bam. I do that to myself too but I'm getting better at it!!

Lil

Have him call the bus lines offices and ask them for the number of the bus that stops near your house, it's route, and what times it shows up. Then, have him ask them how to get to wherever he has to go. They can tell him if he has to change buses, where to change, and approximately how long the wheeled or rail part of the trip will take.

He KNOWS all this. In fact, he has a route map! There are exactly four bus routes in this town and you transfer in exactly TWO places! You get on and ride to the main terminal, or you ride to Menards and transfer there - whichever one you get to first! This is not rocket science. He wasn't at the right place! It's that simple.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Ah, you're in a much smaller area than I am. I'm in a large metropolitan area and you definitely need a map to keep track of the bus routes, especially as they also run out into the collar suburbs, like the one I live in.

Unfortunately, they don't have light rail here. They've been talking for 30 years about putting in high speed rail between Chicago and Milwaukee and lets just say (politics) it ain't gonna happen so long as this state is red.

Right now, If I want to take the bus, I have to call MTA to get help planning my route.

Transfers are a nightmare, just like in Chicago.

Lil

Oh we have terrible public transportation here. We're tiny compared to Chicago; under 50,000 people, and fairly spread out, about 38 square miles, but the busses literally run from about 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. They run anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes apart, depending on the route, so if you miss one, you get to be late wherever you are going. They also don't go everywhere. So there are a lot of places that you still have quite a hike after you get off the bus to get there.

BusynMember

GN, I believe we were supposed to also get a train from Madison to Milwaukee. Then King Red said, "Nope."
Agree that it wont happen while we are the color of a bad sunburn;)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
As I recall it, the train(s) were supposed to run from Chicago to Green Bay, with stops at most of the population centers along the Lake Michigan coastline. There would also be expresses that ran straight to Kenosha and Racine, and straight to Milwaukee.

A "spur rail" off of Milwaukee would run direct to Madison, enabling folks in Chicago to get to Madison by changing trains once, in Milwaukee.

Illinoisans from Chicago north were eagerly awaiting this rail system as many Illinoisans still drive from home as far as Milwaukee to work every day. Rail would've cut way back on fuel use and pollution generation.

Not gonna happen while WI is owned by the Kochs.

savior no more

Lil -
Today I drove by a tax preparation business and a guy in a wheelchair was out wearing a statue of liberty hat and advertising the business. He had a recent amputation below the knee, but I thought, good for you guy, at least doing what you can. So be it if your son gets a job holding an advertising sign - at least it's an honest dollar.

so ready to live

Hi Lil (and Jabber)
He didn't go. Said he went to the bus stop...
So difficult when we question if we're getting the whole story-what a roller coaster for you all. Yet, it's amazing they can continue on as it seems to me it would take much less effort/pain on their part "to just do it", but I guess if that were true, they would. So--- once again, (I really hate this part) it must be our agenda not theirs.
Whatever. I'm sick of the whole thing.
of course you are...your space has been invaded. Whenever we have allowed our son home again, we have then looked forward to him leaving from day one. He starts always with an effort for 3 wks or so and then falls back to old friends, old ways, the staying out most/all night, sleeping days. "JUST GET A JOB, ANY JOB,WOULD YOU?" ...and then we pack him up...with more lying (add some cursing) rinse, repeat. Keep your deadline for move out, job or no job, it is up to him. The eggshell walk in your own sanctuary is too much. Prayers.

pasajes4

They are too comfortable with us. It takes absolutely no time for everyone to slip into old patterns. They push back 10X harder for every effort we make to propel them forward.

Lil

Just got a text from our son that his buddy has a job interview and is friendly with the boss, so is a shoe-in for a job. He's very upset that he will now be the only one without a job.

This is good. Maybe if he feels bad enough he'll double-down on the job hunting.

I believe he's looking, but he's being a little bit weird about it. At this point he needs whatever he can get. For instance, there's a temp agency with a LOT of jobs right now; manufacturing and data entry. My son types something like 70 words a minute, knows lots of computer stuff, he'd be great for data entry. But he won't apply because it's temporary and the one time (2 years ago) that he put in at a temp agency (a different one) he was never placed. Maybe now he'll apply??? Time will tell.

Albatross

Hoping for the best, Lil. It seems like what their peers are doing still holds much more sway than what we say. My son's friends graduating from college is what got him to try one more time.

I think the temp jobs are great for our DCs. Not too big of a commitment, usually easy to learn, lots of variety from job to job. Hope he follows up on it!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I hope he follows through as well. I will say that data entry is quite a bit different than typing.

Also, I was signed with a few agencies to do data entry during my off hours to bring in xtra money. The sort of data entry jobs that require temps (incl the IRS' contractors) are VERY high pressure. He wouldn't be tested for typing speed but rather for keystrokes per hour or KPH. 12-14K KPH was the minimum required when I was doing data entry. It may have, and most likely has changed quite a bit since the early 'aughts when I was last doing it.

The last gig I had was in 06 up in Rhinelander. It involved entering coupons. I found it quite difficult as I had trouble reading the tiny numbers on the coupons.

Good eyesight is mandatory for many data entry jobs. I used to work with a plate magnifier, but you need serious speed to get away with that, as you have to make up for the time needed to move the magnifier around.

I used to type 110 wpm and "keypunch" 17KPH. Last time my typing was tested, I had slowed down to 75wpm and when I was tested in 06, my data entry speed had dropped to 12K KPH.

If he can learn and handle data entry, it's an excellent way to pick up temp jobs. If he can learn to handle a multi line phone and take a course in MS Office apps, with his typing speed, he can get a job as an admin assist. (If he's willing to clean up and dress for the job.)

InsaneCdn

Just got a text from our son that his buddy has a job interview and is friendly with the boss, so is a shoe-in for a job. He's very upset that he will now be the only one without a job.
It's his buddy's turn to pay the bills. At least one of them will have money. And your son will find a job.

Lil

It's his buddy's turn to pay the bills. At least one of them will have money. And your son will find a job.

While I wanted to say, "ABOUT TIME!" when he told me buddy had a job interview, I held my tongue. :speechless:

I just told him to keep looking, someone will hire him. There's actually a brand new job listing today for the cafeteria in the biggest state office building, which is walking distance from his next apartment. No evenings, no weekends, closed state holidays. Would be a good place to work. But of course, he won't go there today, said he'd go Monday.

Because, showing up today and saying, "I saw an ad that went on-line today for this job and I really want it!" would be ... too ambitious? o_O Whatever.

Jabber worked doing data entry of some sort several years back...part time for extra $$$. I never have. Then again, while I've waited tables and hostessed and worked retail and other short-term jobs, my first full-time, permanent job was as a lawyer. :rolleyes:LOL