It still hurts......He's my blood.

1000sunsets

1000sunsets
Mechdonna2, Thank you for your thoughts and support. I have realized that throughout the years the RA does not go away but can only be controlled to a certain point with medication. The flre-ups can be very painful and unbearable as I have witnessed my wife in the past. I pray that you can have the strength everyday to perform your daily activities and simply enjoy life. I am glad that your husband is very supportive. God bless.

1000sunsets

1000sunsets
Tiredof33,
Your situation is so simialr to ours with our son. I am so glad to be on this site to be able to receive support and advise from so many wonderful people. I have always believed that things happen for a reason. Eventhough sometimes it is hard to comprehend why they happen. My son and his wife have always fought since the day they met because she is also so jealous, possessive, demanding, etc.......He also has lost association with his friends and has none or else he wouldn't be homeless. He texed me yesterday saying he had not bathe in 3 weeks and was starving and also has contracted poison ivy from somewhere and was very desperate. He thinks I am still working out of town and he asked if I could rent him the cheapest hotel I could. Again, I had to swallow the hurt and declined to answer back and erased the text message. I know that if i were to see him in the streets I would still be very hurt but would have to reach for all my strength to turn away. I am tired of all of it just like you and others. I told me son (the beginning of the year when I last talked to him) that I am 60 years old and his mother and I should be taking it easy and enjoying life instead of trying to support him. It is true that the detachment process is not so easy and one has to reach for strength from deep inside, continue to pray, and gain support and comfort from this site. I pray that you and your family can rise with comfort and joy and begin to enjoy the rest of your lives. God Bless.

Tiredof33

This was one of the first books I read, it's free and written by a therapist, she gives wonderful advice for detaching and letting them follow their paths.
http://www.support4change.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131&Itemid=177/7/23.html

I applaud your strength! I fell for my son's homeless conn. He was in college last year (laid off and trying to start over), on the Dean's list (that part was true lol) and girlie had kicked him out, he was homeless, couch surfing and trying to finish the semester. He needed money for food. I was jumping hoops to get him money for about 4 months.

Girlie had been sending nasty emails and I blocked her, then sent nasty emails pretending to be my son. Girlie started calling me one morning before 6AM. Someone, I strongly believe my son, had hacked into my computer and forwarded my emails to her email account and now she had my home phone number. She repeatedly dialed my number and left nasty obscene messages as we refused to answer the phone after the first few times. The last message said, "I've got all day so it's on b****". I had met this person 1 time! I changed all of my accounts and bought a new computer.

I called the police and they went to the home within 30 minutes. The policeman called me back and said my son told him he was not suicidal or homeless and he gave me the number where the mother worked (for the police department no less!) he said I needed to inform her of what exactly was going on in her home.

I hesitated to call her at work and I was very polite. She informed me that my son was not homeless and they went out each and every night, coming home when she was leaving for work. Shortly after that was when they had the big fight and he really was homeless. I helped again, thinking maybe this time he is serious. He had high achieving, non drugging friends helping him find a sponsor and was looking for a job.

A few weeks later he was back with girlie. When I confronted him he lied and became angry. He was posting suicidal messages on FB and of course all of my family was upset. Several told me I had to do anything and everything I could to help him - some questioned why I didn't have him living with me. I called and gave him clinic numbers and hot line numbers. He said he would make appointments and never did.

We have to reach a point where we draw the line in the sand and mean it, I finally had reached that point. When you do, somehow they know you mean it! That's when my son told me he was out of my life forever and he was going to commit suicide so I wouldn't be bothered, that I had never loved him to start with.

I don't know how I lived through it! He did get better for a while (about 3 years) and the first year he was with girlie they both were clean and sober. I actually looked forward to his phone calls. Now, he is worse than he has been in his life - she affects him negatively so much. The one time I met her she told me she had two older siblings that she had not heard from on years - they didn't like her. I don't see good things for either of them until they both get treatment.

He started no contact (NC) in November and some of his friends and family have asked about him. I just say I haven't heard from him in a while. It is very hard at first, even with all my son has done I still felt like I was turning my back on him. The more you read and talk to other it gets easier. Some think we are cold hearted, that's where the support from this forum comes in. THE MEMBERS ACTUALLY "GET IT" THEY ARE LIVING IT TOO!

When my son was young I worked with a lady having problems with her son. When she let him live on the streets because he would not work I thought she was so mean. I thought I could never do that to my son. Sadly, I now understand!

My arthritis started bothering me, my BiPolar (BP) went sky high and I was having panic attacks. I had to force myself to put me first. My son has taught me the meaning of unconditional love.

I find keeping a journal helps me, some times what I write is so blunt I tear it up immediately, but writing it out helps me from becoming very angry at life. I have so many positives in my life, and I am going to enjoy the rest of my life as much as possible.
(((hugs and blessings)))

scent of cedar

1000 Sunsets, you might want to take your town and state out of your signature/introduction. For your own sake, you need to be anonymous on the site. You do not want anyone who does not understand reading posts that come from the heart ~ some angry, some filled with pain, some filled with details it is no one else's right to know ~ and using that information to hurt you, or your wife or son.

Just put south central United States. Or, leave that area blank.

Also, I wanted to say that we went through something similar when our son was using drugs. Here is a phrase I found most helpful: "I love you too much to watch you self destruct."

There is truth in that phrase. You can fill it in any way that fits the current situation. "I am not giving you money. You were raised better than to do what you are doing. I love you too much to watch you self-destruct."

We found that there is a time in that process of self-destruction when the addicted person actually thinks their situation is funny. (The old "I woke up in a mudhole/fell down the stairs/got picked up/ lost my license again ~ ha, ha, ha.") To that, we would answer: I love you too much to laugh at you, with you. What is happening to you is tragic. There is nothing funny about watching someone you love wet himself in public. You were raised better than to do what you are doing. I love you too much to watch you self-destruct. Stop using drugs."

Just keep repeating a version of those phrases, whatever the addicted child says, however he blames you, however he condemns you, whatever he expects.

When we started talking to our son like this (thank you to everyone on this site) HE seemed to start believing it, too. There were a number of years when he hated us and made no bones about it. But he hated us, anyway. He hated us as he took our money, lived in our home, destroyed himself right before our eyes and from our own home, time and time again. Until WE turned away, until WE started telling him the real truth ~ that he had been raised better, that he knew right from wrong, that we loved him too much to watch him self-destruct ~ I don't know how to describe it, really. It was like, before we changed OUR ways, we were slyly complicit in his destruction. We would be so angry and would hate where he was and what he was doing...but we would never actually SAY it to him, just like that.

Once we did start talking to him like that, once we clarified our own understanding of what was happening to him and why ~ that it was drug use, not poor parenting, not family trauma, not the weather the day he was born or his diet that had wrecked his life and our family...things got better. It started with US feeling better. We had words to say, now. I posted those words and phrases by the phone. If I didn't? I would fall back into the old, lost patterns of trying to understand, of trying to help, of taking responsibility for things I hadn't done and had no control over.

What happened next is that, over time, our son changed his life. He is struggling financially now, as he pulls himself out of the hole he dug through his drug use. But he is a fine man, and he will do well.

Here's the thing: If we don't tell our children, in no uncertain terms, that they were raised to know better and to do better...it's almost like we are giving them permission to do what they are doing, instead.

We never stopped believing in our son, never stopped agonizing over him or missing him during the holidays or Saturdays or ~ oh, all the things, big and little, that make up our lives. But we were sure, in our own hearts, that drugs were the problem. There was no one for him to blame, anymore, because we had learned to say "I love you too much to help you self destruct or to watch you do it. You were raised better than to do what you are doing. Stop using."

At the bottoms of our postings, many of us have links to sites we have found helpful. The link "McCoy" at the bottoms of my postings gives us words to use when talking to our adult children who are in trouble.

Barbara

Last edited:

scent of cedar

This was one of the first books I read, it's free and written by a therapist, she gives wonderful advice for detaching and letting them follow their paths.
http://www.support4change.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131&Itemid=177/7/23.html

It is very hard at first, even with all my son has done I still felt like I was turning my back on him.

My son has taught me the meaning of unconditional love.

This site (book) is amazing.

Thank you.

Barbara

1000sunsets

1000sunsets
scent of cedar,
Thank you for your advise and support. I have been reading the mentioned book and it is great. I have been so busy but get to read a page or two every chance I can get. We never stopped believing that our son was going to change for the better, but after destroying various cars, stealing from us and his own son, and disobeying my requests to keep his wife out of our home I just simply had it with him and stopped talking to him. He still calls but I do not answer. He still texts me but I do not reply. Last message he left was about him being homeless (because of course he destroyed the car he was living out of) and out in the streets begging for money to get something to eat and could not believe I would do that to him and leave him out in the streets. First of all I thought of how selfish he can be and that he put himself in that situation and nobody else. Second of all where is his better half? If she is with her mom than what kind of relationship is that where she is having it easy and not supporting him. I think of how many times he would sneek her into our home and why can't she do that for him now! Like I said previously, I have a more stronger heart than my wife and maybe be considered as being too cold but I refuse to give in and let him learn from his mistakes and selfishness. He even mentioned in his message he left me that he was having it hard out in the street and that He would probably die out there and it would be too late to forgive him. Now, is that dramatic or what! My son went to prison a couple of times so I can say he has the street smarts and also went to school so there is no excuse that he cannot make it out there and find some kind of job. I emphasized to him in one of the last open conversations I had with him that he would have to swallow his pride and start from the bottom up and get a job even as a dishwasher or picking up trash or something. Eventhough, if something does happen to him physically, he had many opportunities and the option of making the right choices. Please do not make me out as a bad person. My parents raised me up with good morals and I did make a few bad chioices in life but learned from my mistakes and tried my best to be a good husband, father, and friend. In conclusion, I would like to again thank everyone's support, advise, and prayers. I wish that none of us would have to experience these unfortunate situations but we are and as long as we have our backs we have a chance of gaining back some sort of comfort and happiness.......God Bless

Mechdonna2

Mechdonna2
Hello,

I am so sorry that you had to receive a message that your son may die on the streets. That has not happened to me yet, but I expect that it will eventually. You are doing the right thing by detaching. I hope your wife will join you.

Please keep us posted.

Treasure life.

scent of cedar

he was having it hard out in the street

He would probably die out there

it would be too late to forgive him.

Please do not make me out as a bad person.

1,000 Sunsets, you are doing the right thing. It is so hard for us to know what to do and then, to stick to our guns about what to do, once we finally figure it out. Please take a minute to read through the "McCoy" link at the bottom of my post. She discusses how to talk to our adult children ~ right down to the words we need to use. I wrote them out so I would not forget the emotional tone I am striving for. Sometimes, the worst of all of this is how trapped and angry we feel when interacting with our troubled adult kids. Please do take just a minute to check it out.

:O)

Barbara

SoSad&miserable

Screaming makes me die inside.
It is torture to watch our children self destruct. There are wonderful people here that are dealing with this and doing a fantastic job. They have true gems of advice.
. Help! I am so sad. I finally divorced my bipolar ex of 32 yrs just to have my two bipolar sons by him,ages 25 & 27, move in with me. I just had the 27 yr old legally evicted & he is saying he is moving to Las Vegas to stay with a friend & his family. We know the family and they are decent ppl. Anyway he has always talked about suicide was on medication and seeing a shrink from ages 14-21 when he aged out of my insurance. I'm sick with worry. The 25 yr old still lives with me but has straightened up since he saw his brother evicted. They are both unmedicated. Their father has taken his crazy self and bailed. It's been as bad as it can get.

BusynMember

Hi there.

This is an open forum and anyone can read it. If you used your real name, it might be a good idea to change it.

I am sorry for your pain. You may want to start your own thread if you would like to get more responses. This is a very old thread.