It Was a Good Day

HMBgal

And for that I'm grateful. We had a good day, the boy had a good day. Tomorrow could blow up in a big way, but today was good. I'll take it, go exercise, eat a nice meal, take a long, hot shower, and get some sleep. Who knows? Maybe we can string two good days together...

Anybody else have a little battle that was won in the war today?

T

TeDo

Not here. Wish I had though it didn't turn out to be quite as bad as the last 2 days. Maybe difficult child 1's weighted blanket (that he slept under ALL night) helped. Glad you had a great one though. Hold on to that memory just in case.

HMBgal

Not here. Wish I had though it didn't turn out to be quite as bad as the last 2 days. Maybe difficult child 1's weighted blanket (that he slept under ALL night) helped. Glad you had a great one though. Hold on to that memory just in case.

Holding on tight because I know, well, I know. {{{{Happy bubble}}}} and hope your day goes well tomorrow.

BusynMember

Let me offer another perspective.

A child who is differently wired is difficult. but it's not a battle in which you win or he wins. The child never wins if he has differences that make life hard for him and I never looked at it as a battle. I just thought of the days as "easier days" and "harder days" until we got son stable. When my son was small, there were certain things that set him off and we TRIED to avoid them for his sake, although we couldn't always. As he got older, things really improved. His first, but not last, diagnosis was ADHD/ODD.

Cherish every day that is easier for you and your child. And keep searching for answers and helpful treatment.

buddy

great to have days where you can recharge your batteries.... and to remember the little bit of easy child that is in a difficult child! ENJOY

HMBgal

Let me offer another perspective.

A child who is differently wired is difficult. but it's not a battle in which you win or he wins. The child never wins if he has differences that make life hard for him and I never looked at it as a battle. I just thought of the days as "easier days" and "harder days" until we got son stable. When my son was small, there were certain things that set him off and we TRIED to avoid them for his sake, although we couldn't always. As he got older, things really improved. His first, but not last, diagnosis was ADHD/ODD.

Cherish every day that is easier for you and your child. And keep searching for answers and helpful treatment.
I battle for him, not with him. I love him exactly as he is, but I do hope that his life will be easier for him as he gets older. I'm glad to read that things improved for your boy--gives me hope. Stories, we all hear such stories. And some of us get to live them, too.

HMBgal

great to have days where you can recharge your batteries.... and to remember the little bit of easy child that is in a difficult child! ENJOY

True, true. I remember a class on disability that I took in college. It reminded us that people with disabilities/differing abilities are more like everyone else than they are different. But, kids with behavioral challenges are kind of unpredictable and that worries and scares people.

My grandson starts his longer day at school tomorrow. We don't know who the aide will be. The fabulous woman who was with him last week told us that as far as she knew, the SD hadn't hired anyone yet, but if they can get her duties covered at the other school, she would like to come back this week. We are keeping our fingers crossed. He's pretty adaptible, so as long as the person isn't one of those command style old school types he'll be fine.

He's so excited that he will get to stay in school after recess. I hope and pray that he does well. Lots of the cool stuff that he loves (science centers, special art projects, etc) happen after recess and he's missed out on all of that. My daughter got a group email from one of the parents that went over all of the great things the kids were learning and doing and it broke our hearts that he didn't get to participate in any of it. I don't know how to get past that. He doesn't know what he missed out on, but we do.

So, keeping our fingers crossed.

HMBgal

Will be excited to hear how it goes.... really, to deny FAPE wow.... so sad.

Yeah, and when I threw those little letters out, and LRE, their ears perked up and I could see the look on their faces. The looks said: Uh oh.

He did GREAT at school. He marched in and said "Grandma! I had SUPER day!" He was so proud of himself; his sweetness breaks my heart. He was kind of putzy later in the afternoon, but hey, he's five. I could tell the medications were wearing off because he actually ate is dinner. I have to say, the lack of appetite really concerns me. He gets a good breakfast, and Daddy puts him to bed at night, so he makes sure he's had a nutritious snack before bed. We worry that he'll be hungry in the middle of the night and that it might affect his sleep. With all of the colds he's had since school started, he's having trouble sleeping anyway.

The other kids in his class are staying from 8:30-2:40 two days a week, and until 1:10 the other days. I think that's an awfully long day for a five-year old, so we're not pushing for the long days until after January. And the kids are supposed to bring their lunches and eat in the cafeteria with the bigger kids. Ummm. As Lord of the Flies as the playground is, I don't even want to think about what could happen in the cafeteria...

He's pretty emotional (crocodile tears, which is new since the medication) and rigid over the dumbest things (like which car door to use when I was trying to get him and his sister out of the car to go to the movies yesterday) but if I don't rush him, he'll talk himself through the problem--"Maybe I can use that door when we come back to the car." Then he forgot, of course; his head was full of Muppet Movie songs. We have Wonder Woman Aide until tomorrow for sure, don't know after that.

He got his progress report today and he got "needs improvement" on every area of behavior except and "excellent" on complete homework." Huh? Whatever. Academically, he's top of his class, even though he's hardly ever there. So weird.

So, we had a couple of rocky transitions this afternoon, a flipped over plate of food, and a purposely dropped iPad, so he ain't "cured" yet, whatever that means:)