It's 4:20am. Is your difficult child asleep?

flutterby

Fly away!
Mine's not. She hasn't been asleep at all tonight.

You know how the school had 2 weeks to assign her to another class instead of Spanish? Well, they haven't. Had she told me on Friday, I would have handled it. I didn't think to ask. I guess she was excited that the week was over and wasn't thinking about school, and didn't mention it.

So, now anxiety has her up all night. And me, too.

I have to be at the dentist at 7:30am for a probable root canal, and have more neuropsychologist testing at 10:00am. :bloodshot: And I'm on narcotics for the tooth pain. It's going to be a very long day.

I am not going to be nice today when I deal with the school.

Marguerite

Let it all hang out when you deal with the school. Point out that YOUR life has been made purgatory in the last 24 hours because of the effect their negligence has had on difficult child's anxiety.

by the way, what are you doing with her tomorrow at school? Are you sending her? Or keeping her home until they get her reassigned? Because if you send her and things go pear-shaped, SHE is likely to get penalised and this will deflect the flak from the school, dumping it back on her.

Not good.

Good luck. Go for it. They're about to get hit with a bear with a sore head, literally.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
Heather,
I'm sorry both you and difficult child are up. The school should have taken care of this already-period. Good luck today with your tooth, appointment, and dealing with the school. Hugs.

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm keeping her home. There is no way she can maintain with no sleep. She went to bed 20 min ago (5:30am).

And I am going to let it all hang out. Trust me....tired and in pain...people really shouldn't make me mad.

flutterby

Fly away!
You're not going to believe this. A sleepless night and there is no school today. And I should have known that. Teacher workday. There is *always* a teacher workday at the end of a quarter.

I have a call into the school psychiatric, but haven't heard back. I've been to 2 dentists - regular dentist and then endodontist because dentist couldn't get me numb - so I haven't had all day to call. I'm dealing with him because the guidance counselor is.....not helpful...and I don't want to deal with her.

I better have answers *today* because I am NOT going through another sleepless night and difficult child is NOT going through another night of angst because of this.

KTMom91

What a mess. Poor difficult child...hope she's able to get her much-needed rest. Can you go down to school and start yelling? I always had better luck when I appeared, loaded for bear. Sending my extra set of Mom armor...I haven't needed it in a while.

flutterby

Fly away!
I could go to the school and start yelling. But, I'm already in my jammies, I had 6 or 7 injections in my mouth today and my face is swollen, it hurts to talk, and I'm so exhausted I don't think I could get my thoughts out in any way that wouldn't make me look like a complete idiot.

I have another message in with the school psychiatric - he's in a meeting. If I don't get an answer today, I will be at the school at 7am tomorrow. And the guidance counselor better hope she's there that early. Because I'm sure the principal will be and I know the superintendent will be in at 7:30am (admin office).

flutterby

Fly away!
SpEd director called me back. She's not the SpEd director for the high school - that one's out today - but she was in on the initial evaluation for difficult child 3 years ago.

She called the guidance counselor and gc said that I am on her list of people to call today.

Ummmm....it's almost 3pm. I have called her 5 times in the last 2 weeks and school psychiatric 4 times and I'm on her "list" to be called??? And still haven't been called???

Oh, it is SO on.

Tomorrow I will be on the phone with *our* SpEd director.

Marguerite

Let SpEd director know how many times you have called and not been called back. Use the angle of, "The staff are obviously so overloaded they just don't get time to even return urgent calls. Can you please put on more staff?"

You sound like you're doing what I do - keeping minutes on when you call and who you call. I keep a log on the computer (a text file, for me) where I also will minute the content of the call. If someone says something that I can write down verbatim, I put it in quote marks. It sometimes helps to be able to say to them, "On x date, you said to me exactly this," and read it back to them word for word. Scares the whatever out of them.

It also helps to include in your message, "I have rung you x times over the past few weeks. I have now run out of time. I am now beginning to call up the chain. I will keep calling the next person up the line of command until I get to talk to a person who can help me. The sooner you call me back, the further I will have to go up the line."

Then do it. Leave the same message each time, modifying it to "I have called the following people x times in the past however long and not received a response. I urgently need help in tis today... and continue with the "up the chain" message.

Don't do this too often or it loses effectiveness. But when a situation becomes urgent, then it is the time. But once you start this, you have to follow through and be prepared to handle the fallout. Stay strong.

Marg

flutterby

Fly away!
GC called at 3:10pm and told me to have difficult child go to her for 11th period (11th period is going to become an academic assist and 12th period was the Spanish issue), and she would show her where her new classes are and help her settle in. I guess the phone call to SpEd at admin did some good.

School psychiatric called back at 4ish to make sure GC had called.

I'm still having a meeting with SpEd Director - I might just put it off a day because I have a day full of appointments Tuesday. If this issue wasn't resolved, I'd make it a priority for the day, but I think it can wait a day now.

It also helps that I slept and am on pain medications. I can be really cranky sometimes. :p