It's back!

Ltlredhen

We went to the pediatrician doctor on Thursday and got a good report. Looked like difficult child's infection all cleared up.

This morning at 4:00 A. M. difficult child wakes up crying with his ear hurting, nose running again, his eyes are red.

Guess we will be back to the docs today.

Donna

Sara PA

My son retained fluid behind his eardrums. Antibiotics neither cleared up the fluid, of course because that's not what they do, reduced the pain, or prevented infections, which were likely viral anyway, that cause the fluid to build up. We had tubes done twice which prevented problems as long as the tubes were in. We had his adenoids, which turned out to be quite large, removed but that didn't seem to help. Eventually, after years of doctoring for this ear pain and fluid build up (the pain is the pressure on the ear drum), we were in the doctor's office when one ear drum burst on it's own, just as the doctor was going from checking that ear to the other one. The relief was immediate. My son was young enough to believe that the doctor did something to make him better when all he had done was examined the ear and was ready to leave the office. That is the last time we went to the doctor for ear pain. We decide that there is nothing that the doctor could do to prevent or cure the problem short of putting tubes back in. From that point on, when my son got/gets that pain, he takes Tylenol and/or aspirin, deals with the pain which goes away just as fast as if we went to the doctor and got an antibiotic.

Ltlredhen

It's pink eye. Antibiotic, eye drops and some drops for the ear pain if needed. pediatrician doctor said ear only little irritated, so that's good.

Any warrior moms out there with some magic spell to help me put eye drops in a difficult child's eye?

Donna

tiredmommy

Donna,
A couple of things may help relieve the pain:
*Try massaging where his upper and lower jaw meet, as well as the notch under his ear and behind his lower jaw. I get chronic sinus and ear infections, massaging these areas (as well as the inner corners of my eyes, my upper cheekbone right under my eyes and the area above my temples) seems to help loosen the congestion and pressure.
*Have him sleep propped up on an extra pillow to promote drainage.
*Have him drink lots of water to help the congestion move more freely.

SRL

Any warrior moms out there with some magic spell to help me put eye drops in a difficult child's eye? :wildone:

How about if four or five of us drop in to hold him down for you?

pigless

Good idea, SRL, except that how would we keep the little guy's eyelids open?

Nana, you can try the big reward idea for his cooperation. At least eyedrops don't hurt. Would he go for a Spiderman sticker every time you give them? All my pre-schoolers adore Spiderman.

I'm sorry about the ear pain. My left ear has hurt off and on for the past month. I finally saw my allergist yesterday and he told me to try nasonex to relieve the fluid pressure.

You may want to consider taking difficult child to an allergist if this persists. There are times when my ear gets so full that I can't hear very well. It doesn't help that two of my kids in class have speech issues.

SRL

Pigless, I'll have you know that I am a seasoned veteran of eyedrops. difficult child got glasses when he was three and we had so many appointments in the those first few years that the doctor let me dilate his eyes at home because it cut the appointment time in half.

Cooperation is always best, so go for that and use bribes if you have to. If that doesn't work then it's best to have two people--one to take on the child and one to do the eyedrops. If you get them flat on their back and get the eyedrops in the inside corner of a closed eye, eventually they open the eye and the drop slides right in. You can pry the lid open a little but it makes the whole business worse.

Of course restraint should only be used when absolutely necessary and this was one of those times where at least for my young difficult child we couldn't get the drops in otherwise.

Ltlredhen

How about if four or five of us drop in to hold him down for you?

Gee, ya ll are soo helpful. I can pretty much manage to hold him down, lots of experience in that department
but as pigless said, it's getting the eye lid open enough to get the drops in.

TM, I will try your suggestions. I may have to let difficult child do it himself because he hates to have his face touched.
Aside from that problem, looks like we are fair game for every little germ out there. Since difficult child hasn't spent much time before now being exposed to everything, is there a good choice out there for boosting his immunity?

I am not looking forward to having to add a bunch of vitamins to our daily regimen. Has anyone tried that Airborn stuff created by the teacher they sell at W. Mart?

Thanks for the help.

Donna

tiredmommy

Ask your pediatrician to recommend a good multi-vitamin. Also, make sure he washes his hands before and after massaging the corner of his eyelid. Especially if he has pinkeye.