recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh boy Gran, your post is very, very similar to my experience with my daughter, my granddaughter and my feelings. I completely understand where you're coming from. I couldn't possibly put into words what my daughter's choices and lifestyle have cost me, in finances certainly, but emotionally, mentally, physically and in every possible way, she has brought much negativity and pain to my doorstep.

I have had legal permanent guardianship of my granddaughter since she was 11, she is now 17. Going through court, dealing with a divorce at the same time (husband left me when I took my granddaughter) paying for all the neglected dental and medical care, therapy, school, clothes, braces, camps, sports, sigh, just thinking about all of it brings back how incredibly difficult and draining it all was.........so I can empathize with you on all levels. I felt very angry at my daughter for a long time too, she created a lot of struggles for me.

Gran, what I did was to seek out as much support as I could. Since I had no idea what my options were, if any, I got involved in a local group called Grandparents parenting again. They helped so much, I was able to do all the guardianship papers myself, which was an incredible feat and saved me $10,000.00 in legal fees, they had a class which walked you through all the legal forms. Through them I learned a lot about options. I took a parenting class through Social Services that cleared up a lot for me and gave me some tools. I had to do a lot of research, but because grandparents are now a high percentage of who is parenting the children, there are growing resources, but I found you have to dig for them and ask a lot of questions of a lot of people. You could ask the school counseling Dept. I met a therapist through the school who steered me in some good directions. You can ask CPS too, just for resources, systems which may help you, they don't offer, you have to ask. Keep asking everyone.

You can claim the children on your taxes, and my accountant just told me as long as they are in school, you can claim them up to age 24. Having 2 more dependents should increase your cash flow.

After getting my granddaughter squared away, (which took about a year because it was as if she had lived in a cave without any resources at all) when I came up for air, I immediately got myself into a supportive therapy situation. I just told everyone the truth, I said, I NEED HELP! I worked every angle, believe me, to get her care and to get me care, this is no time to be stoic! I got myself into a year (actually it lasted over that because I stayed in the program) long codependency program through a huge HMO's Substance Abuse program. I didn't really fit the profile, but the similarities in recovering from having a child with mental illness was extremely helpful and supported me in letting go of guilt, anger, resentment, a lot of the negative feelings one has from being put into the position you and I have been put in.

Get yourself as much support as you can in environments where others can really hear you and empathize with you. They have grandparenting groups which are very helpful, NAMI has parent groups which are great, 12 step groups, therapy, whatever, but do not attempt to do this alone, those feelings of anger will fester and hurt YOU, you must find ways to release that.

Childcare is expensive, but if you involve yourself in groups with other grandparents, they will offer options. You can also barter, like something you do well, cook, sew, whatever, you do it for someone, they watch the kids for awhile. There are bartering services now in local communities. You can also trade with other parents/grandparents for childcare, you take their kids for a night, then they take yours. You can probably find other parents in the sports your kids are involved in. Look into camps too, some camps offer scholarships and then the kids go away for a week, they learn something important and you get a break. I called a lot of places asking for sliding scale, or scholarships, or bartering, whatever, you'd be surprised about what is not offered, you have to ASK. Do you have a community center in your town? They usually offer stuff for kids and often there are scholarships available.

It is what it is. We made choices to distance ourselves from our daughters and take in our grandkids, not perfect but that's what we chose. Now we have to learn to live with our choices and be okay with it all. It comes with a lot of baggage, our own feelings about our own parenting of our own kids and all the detaching we have to do, the enabling factor, the guilt, the resentment, the heavy financial toll this takes, especially when we are older like we are. I am just way more tired and don't have the same energy or patience I did before.

Each year my granddaughter has gotten healthier and healthier, happier, more secure in herself, really, a regular normal kid but with a lot of wisdom and clarity because of what she's been through. I have always told her that what her parents choices were have nothing to do with her, making sure she doesn't believe any of that was her fault and that she could not have changed anything. She's clear on that now. She's also had therapy, she's gone to church camps which taught a lot about self esteem, making good choices, self respect, etc., she received much support along the way.

I don't know if anyone has told you this, but you are giving your grand kids an incredible gift, a chance at a normal, safe, loving life. YOU made that choice, that hard choice, and they may not see that until they are quite a bit older, but deep in your heart, you know that to be the truth. When my husband left me because I chose to take custody of my granddaughter, his then, 18 year old daughter, my step daughter, told me that her definition of a true hero is someone who saves a child. I never forgot that, out of the mouths of babes.................As hard a path as this is Gran, and it comes with a lot of "stuff" you are a hero for these kids.............because of YOU, they have a chance at a real successful life. God bless you for that.

I put my daughter in the hands of a Higher Power, when I think of her I try to surround her with love and move out of my patterns of enabling and sadness for her................I do my very best for my granddaughter but now I balance all of it with making sure my needs are met, that I am nourished and cared for, that I put myself first and make sure I have enough peaceful time for myself, down time, time for me. If you can balance the needs of the children with making sure your needs are securely met, that you nurture yourself and work on letting go of that anger, I think you can find your joy and enhance your peace of mind.................I wish you peace and send you many, gentle and caring hugs...........I'm right there with you........

Recovering,

Our stories are very similar. I know I have to deal with the anger. My anger is boiling over at this point. It's been stewing and simmering hard for the past three-four years. It has changed me and I want to somehow move past it and let it go.

You had suggested last week about the different types of meetings. I have tried al-anon. My town in very small and the group was small. I never felt very welcomed or that it was a fit. Per your suggestion last week I did look up the NAMI website and found out there is a meeting here on the first Thursday of the month. July lands on July 4th this year. I called the contact number listed to see if it is to be held or possibly rescheduled for another day. So far I haven't gotten a call back. My son said he would watch the kids will I go.

I know I need to network more. I feel like I have been in a whirlwind this entire year. So many doctor visits, lawyer, and all those dental visits. It is starting to slow down so I will certainly take your advise and go to the social service and see what's available. I never thought about the parenting classes or other support classes they might offer. I really would be interested in that. I guess I have a very real but hidden fear I might mess them up. I know they have a lot to overcome. It's not just with their mother. Their father is in jail and facing trial in August. The trial will be a big deal in our small town. I dread it so much. And it turns out, the trial starts on the first day of school. So they will start school with their father in the headlines. If convicted they will be well into adulthood before he is released. They have been through so much. I worry it is all too much for them to have to live here and bear.

I would like to start the kids in counseling as well. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated too. They have changed so much since I have had them full time, for the better. My granddaughter was constantly in trouble at school or having bad attitudes at home, school and play before. Now she is very different and almost easy going. If she is around her mother the attitude comes back and I am wondering if it is anger or just habit. Not sure.

I just think they could use counseling to process all that is going on. I worry they feel abandoned by their parents. We talk about it. They know dad is in jail and it is what it is. Although I am pretty sure they do not understand the seriousness of what his time could be, or of his suspected crime for that matter. I am not sure how to address it with them. They really don't want to talk about it. As far as their mom, they know that she is "out of sorts" (that's what we call it) and it is not their fault or about them. I really think they accept this. I have told them their entire lives that it his something within her, from before they were born even and nothing about them or they have done.

I worry sometimes about the future. Mostly I am just glad they can have one, but it is all still a concern. I strongly want them to know they can be happy and not let others rob their joy or what they can be. I want very badly for them to not to feel like victims. I want to help them to go forward in peace and focus on themselves and not the bad choices of their parents.

To everyone that has gone through this and is taking the time to share with me and others what you have learned, what has worked, and your friendship or for me, companionship in this lonely walk, I just value you all so very much.

Barbara (Scent of cedar)

Thank you for your reply. I mentioned in my earlier post that I tried the 211 number, but no luck. I will keep trying social services and any other outlet suggested.

I will also follow your advise and post in the watercooler section. I appreciate all suggestions. Now that the dust is settling a bit, I want to try and get all information or help I can.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Gran, check in with the school about counseling for the kids, here they have something called SAY, Social Advocates for Youth and the school counseling office set up appointments for my GD with a therapist when she was in the sixth grade and it was FREE. She went weekly during school hours. Also check with the local Mental Health Office, they always offer sliding scale therapy. What most people don't realize is that most therapists offer sliding scale too, but don't offer the info until you ask. A thousand years ago, when I was in Connecticut, I was raising my difficult child and my younger sister and I wanted to be in therapy with this well known therapist who was also a pastor of a huge church. I got a free interview with him for the first appointment and after I told him my "story" he said, "well, what can you afford?" I actually jokingly said, $5 and he said, "sold!" He was one of the best therapists I ever had and I paid $5 an hour! I have actually worked that out well by simply saying what I need, and what I can afford, and there are many therapists who will offer their services for a reduced cost..........ASK! NAMI can probably help with that too. And, if you have insurance of any kind, they often pay for a certain amount of therapy time, like 20 sessions per year. Go online and look up therapists in your area and then call them and ask. Social Services may be able to help you with counseling for the kids too. In my town there are therapists who specialize in treating grandparents raising their grandkids and also working with the kids. Just keep digging, it is possible to find great therapy for a reduced price, but you do have to do some research and make the calls.

I agree that the kids need to process their feelings with a professional. They are still young and so talk therapy doesn't always work, they have art, sand tray, music, all kinds of ways to get the emotional baggage released before they get to be teenagers and they begin to act it out. It is in YOUR best interests to get them help before the teen years hit, that's when all the old angers and hurts surface and the choices of drugs, alcohol, sex and dangerous options start, so you want to get them help NOW. Especially when school begins and they will be subjected to the judgments of others about their Dad's behaviors, their peers opinions loom large when they are pre teens and teens.

Abandonment is a real issue, they WERE abandoned. How they process that is what will make the difference. Abandonment issues can cause the making of bad choices as young people because they will continue to choose partners and friends who will abandon them if that is not addressed, so healing that issue early is in my opinion, very important.

Keep the lines of communication open, give them a safe place to vent their feelings and receive your love no matter what. It sounds like you are doing all of that. I just found that all the professionals could give my granddaughter things I could not, they had the tools to bring out her feelings. Keeping them in sports is important too, the statistics on that is that kids who are in sports do much better in LIFE!

I am happy to offer any help I can since I am at the waning end of my parenting years and have gained some insight and some real tools which I am always willing to share, so ask me anything you want. I received a lot of help along the way and I believe in giving it back...........you have so much on your plate Gran, remember to take time for you................hugs..........

scent of cedar

I'm sorry, Gran. You are right. Not every county provides that service, now. I did learn that the 211 referral service is now connected with United Way. The following sites may give you more information. I hope this helps, Gran!

http://www.211.org/

http://www.211us.org/

In checking to see whether the above links work, I learned that this service is available in some areas of Canada, too. Check the websites above for info on Canada referral service.