It's his first day on the job!

Lil

My son started the factory warehouse job today at 7 a.m. It's 40+ hours a week but seasonal, so I don't know how long it will last. Not sure how long he will last for that matter - he's basically a lazy person and he's never worked except a few weeks at McDonald's and got fired from that! But as of now - he's working. We've given him access to the car as no busses run out there - but it's to work and home only until he gets a paycheck and starts paying for his own gas. He was actually offered money for lunch, but said they have a fridge and he took a couple of sandwiches.

Finger's crossed!!! Say a few prayers too!!!

Lil

and he called on his break and will be working overtime the rest of the week! I asked how it was going. His response was, "I'm packing books into boxes mom." To which I said, "No, you're being paid to pack books into boxes." :)

Echolette

Lil,

I'm so happy for you that that bumpy tale of frustration has resolved itself...all the starts and stops, the hard-to-believe explanations, the "where is he really and why did that really happen" stuff is over, or at least on hold. He's at work! He's gotta feel better about himself.

My son never keeps a job for more than a few weeks, so I understand your anxiety about that I ALWAYS get my hopes up, and to date it has never been different. But..I figure each job is a little experience, each job is another few weeks of learning to be responsible...maybe some day it will add up and click in his mind (on bad days I think each job he quits or just fails to show up at is one more burned bridge, surely he'll eventually run out of no skills required work? but those are the bad days).

So...happy for you! Take a deep breath and put him out of your mind today! He is doing what he is supposed to do..working, earning his way. Its a good place to be.

Echo

nlj

"No, you're being paid to pack books into boxes."
Great response!

My son has been doing seasonal work lately, picking apples for the cider harvest. He's being paid well to do this and has more cash than he knows what to do with at the moment. This is someone who despises money and lives a lifestyle that doesn't need any. I saw a spark of pleasure in him in earning his own money when I saw him last week though. It gave me a spark of hope. We went out and he bought himself new boots, an axe, a coat. He bought me lunch!!!!!! Even if it's just seasonal it's still a taste of earning their own money. It's still a positive step. A peep-hole into what their lives could be like if they held down a job.

Childofmine

one day at a time
Lil, just try to relax into this new pattern for him. It is what it is---great!---at least for today, and it will be whatever it will be.

Just for today, at least, he is going to work, having to listen to other people, meet their expectations, and get a taste of the real, live, grown-up, adult world.

It's one step along his journey.

So, now, thankfully, you can get on with your own journey. Enjoy the day Lil!

in a daze

It's a great feeling when they finally join the working world. Be sure to validate his choice / give positive reinforcement.

Lil

Kind of wish I could just delete this whole thread. :( I started a new one. Shouldn't have probably, hate to keep starting new threads, but this one was optimistic...not so much now.