It's not always as bad as it seems

LauraH

Yes my son has relapsed a few times since his brother passed away in August. And every time he's relapsed I've thought "this is it, he's going to spiral down into the depths of addiction and all the crap (homelessness, etc) that goes with it."

But every time he's relapsed it's been for a day or two and then he got back into meetings, therapy, etc. This give me more hope than you can imagine. He may spend the rest of his life going back and forth from relapse to recovery...but the moments of sobriety and working the program last longer than the relapses and that gives me reason to be optimistic.

A year ago he was using the "relapse is a natural part of recovery" card as an excuse to use. He doesn't seem to be doing that anymore. Just yesterday I reiterated to him that while I'm disappointed when he does relapse I'm equally or more so proud of the way he responds and the effort he makes to overcome. I'm praying for a full and complete recovery, which may be unrealistic. But while I'm seeing him relapse I'm also seeing progress in his steps to recovery. Maybe he'll find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow after all...even if I'm not around by then to witness it.

JayPee

Sending good vibes...
Laura

I’m glad for this progress. For your sake and his. It would seem that he’s slowly embracing recovery.

Every minute in the halls program or therapy are steps in the right direction.

We must have hope and faith that things can get better for our loved ones.

Blindsided

Face the Sun
Yes my son has relapsed a few times since his brother passed away in August. And every time he's relapsed I've thought "this is it, he's going to spiral down into the depths of addiction and all the crap (homelessness, etc) that goes with it."

But every time he's relapsed it's been for a day or two and then he got back into meetings, therapy, etc. This give me more hope than you can imagine. He may spend the rest of his life going back and forth from relapse to recovery...but the moments of sobriety and working the program last longer than the relapses and that gives me reason to be optimistic.

A year ago he was using the "relapse is a natural part of recovery" card as an excuse to use. He doesn't seem to be doing that anymore. Just yesterday I reiterated to him that while I'm disappointed when he does relapse I'm equally or more so proud of the way he responds and the effort he makes to overcome. I'm praying for a full and complete recovery, which may be unrealistic. But while I'm seeing him relapse I'm also seeing progress in his steps to recovery. Maybe he'll find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow after all...even if I'm not around by then to witness it.
A pot of gold, indeed. Thank you for sharing.

Albatross

Laura, your post shows that it really is One Day at a Time. I applaud your son's courage, and yours. I too hope he continues his path upward.

JMom

Laura,
I'll keep him in my prayers. Enjoy the times he is sober. Take care of yourself, and stay hopeful!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Laura:

Prayers that your son continues to seek a normal life. We have to be optimistic!

LauraH

Yes this whole ordeal has taught me one of the greatest lessons of my life. It's okay to detach...it's okay to block communication when you need to. It's imperative to maintain your boundaries, for your wellbeing and theirs. But never lose hope. Don't close and bolt the door. Leave it ajar. Because you never know when the next time your child reaches out could be something you've been longing to hear. I used to think "I want to see my son happy, productive, fulfilled, and living up to his potential." Now I just pray that he achieves all that some day even if I'm no longer on this earth to witness it.