It's Official.....

Mom2oddson

I've hit menopause!:hot:

I had a few days last week where I was warm....but OMG!!!!!

My glasses steamed up - I was that warm!

We have a fan (floor one, not ceiling) in the bedroom to drown out noise so that husband can sleep. I had it aimed right at me on full speed and it wasn't cool enough!

And I don't know if leg cramps are a part of menopause or if my legs were cramping because I walked the dogs for a couple of hours yesterday.

But between the leg cramps and hot flashes - I didn't sleep at all.

Funny part was I caught Steph sneaking in at the wee hours of the morning. She's not home when I go to bed (I go to bed at 8:30pm because I get up at 3:30am). Steph is always home before I get up. Now that I'm having hot flashes - she'll have to watch her time a little closer.

At least my office is always COLD! Until today, I've always come to work with long sleeves and a hoodie that I would wear all day long. Today, I'm wearing a light weight, short sleeved t-shirt and still feeling warm.

Any advice on how to get through this wonderful stage of life??

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Oh how I know the feeling. Mine started appearing this past October. I will have them several nights in a row and then none for a few nights. I am just dealing with them for now as I didn't want any type of medications or cream when I talked with my doctor in December. Lots of light weight clothing and fans are my best friend ;)

Some nights are really bad and I have all the blankets off and my birthday suit LOL. My husband thought it was all in my head until I placed my leg on his back when I was having one.

witzend

Hormone Replacement Therapy. The sooner the better. It can take 10 years to get through menopause, and the truth is that the sweats don't stop completely after you're done. And to top it all off you get flabby arms and a mustache! :)

I am unable to take these because of a blood clotting disorder, but my understanding is that they're a godsend. I would literally have given my right ear to take HRT.

Malika

There has been a lot in the press recently about the cancer risks of HRT. And my aunt, who took HRT for years, was recently diagnosed with advanced cancer. She is in her 70s. There may not be a link but personally I'm very wary.

buddy

I feel you. Thought I got to skip a month and instead am all goofed up this month. This beginning of menopause is really strange. I had strange hot flashes for a few months then it disappeared (for now I assume)....they are not fun.

I am going to try some of the natural things to start with, dont feel ready for full on HRT. I had such a terrible reaction to bc that I am hesitant but in the end I will do what I need to do.

Hope you get a better night sleep tonight, that didn't sound fun.

shellyd67

I am in the beginning stages as well. I can totally sympathize.

I have erratic periods, large boils on my chin and behind my ears, mood swings that are horrible, etc...

I just want this to be over !!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, leg cramps can be a symptom. I take a calcium/magnesium supplement for them which helps. Otherwise, without some form of hormone help you're doing all you can logically do.

The fan blowing on you is great, lighter weight clothing, use a sheet instead of a blanket (the sheet actually helps keep you cooler, corn starch powder after an evening shower can help with sleep, a large glass of water bedside, cut back on hot foods, alcohol and sugary foods.

Try to get in a good sweaty exercise during the day - it WILL cut down on night sweats and hot flashes while sleeping!

When I have a hot flash come on, instead of huffing and puffing over it, I try to keep my breathing controlled, sort of like breathing through a contraction. I sit down quietly and breathe through it, that helps. If I try to push forth and ignore it that sometimes will help me not think about it, but it can make mine stronger. So far, sitting and breathing through it has helped.

Some lucky women only have the night sweats or hot flashes, some women have every possible symptom and others don't even notice anything is changing except they aren't getting periods anymore. Go figure - it is different for everyone. I try not give perimeno all my power...I've found that the more attention I give it, the more I notice it. When I take the changes in stride, I am less inclined to become overwhelmed by them. So, I have to change my sheets more often, wash my nighties more often because of the night sweats. For me, the worst was the mood changes. I became HYPER-sensitive to every teeny tiny mood I was experiencing. I was put on prozac for those and it was a lifesaver. Doesn't do much for the hot flashes, etc., but that's okay...those I can live with. The moods? Not so much. Just remember it's just another turning point in your life, perhaps even something to be celebrated.

Hugs, hang on!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If you find you're so uncomfortable you want to attempt HRT, be wary and do your research and really have a good discussion with your doctor. For women with severe symptoms of menopause, it truly can be a Godsend, regardless of the cancer risks.

My own journey through menopause was brief by most women's standards. Two years tops. But thinking more around a year or so. It was enough, let me tell you. I empathize with those having to endure it longer.

My daytime symptoms, other than a short temper and a tendency to blurt out exactly what was running through my head without the slightest bit of tact........were non existent. Nights, on the other hand, were horrible. I used to tell people I had the eternal internal flame burning inside me. That's what it felt like. I couldn't bare to have blankets covering my feet, and keeping them uncovered actually helped keep the temp down somewhat, believe it or not. If it was 50 degrees outside, a fan *might* be enough.......if it was directly on me. But I've never run ac like I did during those times. I'd sleep with the window open in 40 degrees and finally be comfortable. It's pretty much a given that poor husband froze to death most of that time period. Insomnia also drove me nuts........and that wasn't caused by the hot flashes either. I think I maybe was lucky to catch a 5 hour night once a week, the rest were 3-4 hr nights with one or two that were nights I just laid there until dawn.

And yeah, there is the mustache thing. Peeves me off even now. Would peeve me off less if I could see up close well enough to actually pluck the darn dark as coal things. ugh

There are herbal remedies that help with symptoms, but be careful using them. People tend to believe such things are harmless because they're herbal or natural.......and most have the same or similar risks as any other treatment. In fact, herbs that help often are ingredients in the regular stuff you'd be buying. Follow directions and get a reputable brand.

This too shall pass eventually. In the meantime those around you will be treading more softly.........if they have a brain that is. :rofl:

(((hugs)))

BusynMember

Well, I was lucky as I breezed through menopause, never had a moodswing or a hot flash ( I did, however, feel warm all the time).
Ont he topic of HRT, it is hard for me to be objective because menopause was so easy for me, however the hearlth risks scared me to death and I had no intention of using it even if things got bad.
Antidepressants can sometimes greatly help menopause. I was on paroxatene the whole time so maybe that's why I barely felt it.
I wish you luck and hope you can find a safe, effective way to help the symptoms.

Mom2oddson

I did better last night - I think sleeping with just a sheet helped a lot.

HRT isn't an option for me. My Mom and Dad's Sister had breast cancer in their early 40's....estrogen based cancer, so I was told NO Hormone therapy including birth control pills.

On the bright side - the Pacific Northwest is always a lot cooler than anywhere else. In fact, so far, we are 5+ degrees below normal for the this month. No chance of even hitting 60 degrees until sometime next week.

10 years??!? Well, it will save on my heating bill in the winter! Flabby arms? Already got those. I tease husband that if his brakes ever fail on the motorcycle not to worry - I'll just hold up my arms and slow us down. Mustache?? I have one hair that insists on being dark. That better be the ONLY one!! (Lisa - the only reason I know about that one is the 10x mirror that I have suctioned to the normal mirror. Can't puck my eyebrows without it).

At least I'm not alone on this journey. Thanks for the support.