It's raining, it's pouring, we're under mandatory evacuation (again!)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
As I was coming back home from dropping my younger two off at school, a squad car was going up and down each street with the lights, siren, and loudspeaker on ordering everyone out because of the rain. There is concern for mudflow and flooding in these hills because of the recent wildfire. Our house is safe, but access to our street is pontentially threatened should mud start to flow down from the hill. it has been raining pretty hard all morning -- I think I heard they expect at least 3 inches, maybe 4.

So I got a neighbor to take difficult child 1 to school since I needed to pack medications in case I can't get back up later today.

We're told this could be standard procedure with the rain for the next 3 years!!! Ugh.

I have to take difficult child 2's medications to school since they ran out on Friday, and since I may be stuck out I guess that gives me an excuse for not doing much housework today!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Just drive out here with your clan and we can have a holiday party!
Give me an excuse to ignore the in-laws!!!
Sorry about the mud...
Ye be needing yer pirate ship, DAR!

Ropefree

Banned
Life,the adventure! Glade to hear your house is not in jeopardy. That IS something. My hearth goes out to you going through this at this time of year.
Vacation time from school ect coming soon.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Where will you go?
Keep safe and just want to say, THAT BITES!!!! I'm sorry you're going through that. I can't believe it may be up to 3 years that you have live through this over and over again.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Yeah seriously, where can you go? Get those back hoes up there and barricades.. block the mud. I hate watching the video of the homes slipping or mud just rushing down over them. It has to be just an awful thing to be around.
We had some of that up in Marin, but nothing like what you guys are experiencing.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, they lifted the evacuation for our neighborhood this afternoon. It poured until about noon and then let up considerably. If we get another band of heavy showers, though, some folks a few streets over will be in a lot of trouble. On one street, they have barricades and sandbags piled up and mud/debris came within a foot of the top of the dam they created!

If this turns out to be a wet winter, I told husband we'll just have to keep a backpack ready with a change of clothes and toiletries for everyone. I just threw all the medications in a grocery bag this morning but it took a while to round up clothing for everyone.

We just planned to stay at a Holiday Inn Express nearby and hoped they'd offer a discounted rate because of the evacuation, since that's what they did for us with the fires. Unfortunately, this time it would not be covered by insurance since we don't have flood insurance (never occurred to me living on a hill!)

Just now it started raining hard again -- our skylights are getting pelted good. Hopefully it won't last long.

One good thing is that difficult child 2's basketball practice is cancelled for tonight, so maybe I can drag our tree in from the garage and start putting it up! I am SOOOO behind on the holiday decorations!!!