It's so easy to get sucked back in

Tiredof33

I have so much to thank the members of this forum for! Learning to detach and for the most part enjoy life is a process, sometimes a slow one.

I know my son is hurting over the emotional draining from losing a loved one. Suicide leaves so many unanswered questions for the ones left behind.

But, he has not changed, he is trying once again to suck me back into the chaos and drama of his life. I have had well meaning friends and family tell me I need to drop everything and go comfort him.

He continues the dark texts and I text him he needs counseling and maybe medications that can help. What does he text back? I have medications, POT.

It's useless, his sister has also tried to convince him that drugs only make mental illness worse. I just text that things will get better and you are loved. To which he replies, I always thought you hated me. I replied, just because people are different doesn't mean they don't love each other.

I refuse to get sucked in, time to go entertain myself with CNN and embroidery lol!

Albatross

He continues the dark texts and I text him he needs counseling and maybe medications that can help. What does he text back? I have medications, POT.

It's useless, his sister has also tried to convince him that drugs only make mental illness worse. I just text that things will get better and you are loved. To which he replies, I always thought you hated me. I replied, just because people are different doesn't mean they don't love each other

Ugh. Sorry, Tired. I think your responses are just wonderful and I think it's great that you aren't getting pulled in.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
To33, You sound very strong!
I'm so glad you are standing firm in your resolve to not get sucked back in. It is hard especially when our Difficult Child is hurting. The important thing that you are doing is letting him know he is loved.

Hang in there!! You are doing great.

pigless in VA

Tired, it is up to each of us to learn how to negotiate life on our own. You can't really teach your son how to do that especially if he's numbing himself with pot. I think the most I would do would be to give him phone numbers for resources. The rest is up to him.

Can you have your husband screen his texts? That way you won't have to read all those dark thoughts. Then if your husband reads something noteworthy that you need to respond to, you can. Otherwise, if you keep reading those negative texts, it will drag you down.

Stay strong.