I've got a strange feeling in the pit of...

tiredmommy

Waiting for a callback from primary office, already spoke to asthma doctor. We will be getting a nebulizer & probably heading out to the hospital for a chest xray to rule out pneumonia.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Hey TM, I'm sorry that Duckie is so sick.

We have had a nebulizer at home for years, in fact, we're on our third one - it is a Godsend to have that nearby and with 2-3 treatments daily, the symptoms really do improve faster than waiting for the other medications to kick in and using an inhaler. An emergency inhaler should really only be used for that - an emergency. With the neb, you will be able to schedule her treatments and maintain and even level breathing capacity and improvements.

Cephaclor (sp?) was always the best treatment for both my girls when they were younger and had asthmatic bronchitis. It just worked like magic and improvements were usually seen by day 2, along with the neb when needed. They rarely needed pred, but I was always on pred as a kid and into adulthood. I hate pred, but realize that it is necessary at times.

Sending healing thoughts that Duckie improves onces she's on the right stuff! I am currently battling a chest infection myself and have been nebulizing twice daily. Today is an improvement over yesterday. Best of luck - hope you're able to catch up on your sleep too.

lizanne2

Cephaclor worked for my little one with persistent bronchial stuff and it did sometimes delay the need for steroid. Augmentin works well but it will take its toll on gi system.

Take care. I hope Ducckie can get what she needs to start feeling better

tiredmommy

Well, she never ended up getting the x-ray. The asthma doctor thinks she should have it but hasn't seen her so can't order it. He called me at home to encourage me to take her to the ER if she starts to have any trouble breathing. The covering primary doctor (our actual doctor is in another office today) thinks the x-ray is unwarranted and we haven't given the amoxi enough time and that she may have a fever on and off over the 10 day course of antibiotics. This message was delivered by a very condescending nurse. I'm frustrated beyond belief and sent a certified letter to our actual primary doctor to complain about the care she's received since last week. I'm off to nebulize my baby.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Well, hopefully, the nebulizing will show some marked improvement while you wait it out.

The response you've received so far is absurd! Glad you sent a letter. If you don't receive a response from that, send off a copy to the AMA and your health insurance as well!

Back before they had home nebulizers and so many great drugs on the market for asthma, I spent a lot of time in the ER as a kid - A LOT. I cannot believe they aren't being more proactive with Duckie in getting her lungs under control.

KTMom91

Hopefully the nebulizer will give her some relief, and you won't have to make the ER trip! Sending many healing hugs for Duckie.

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope Duckie is feeling better soon. I cannot believe that with all the warnings and problems right now that the doctor/nurse treated you like this. I HATE the doctors/staff that treated you with condescension. in my opinion that should not ever be a part of the way doctors and nurses treat anyone.

Give Duckie a hug for me and keep trying to get her regular doctor on the phone to help. Maybe he will be at your office tomorrow and can change her medications then.

Star*

call 911........call 911
TM,

Since no one's mentioned it and Dude and I both used to suffer from asthma like symptoms - how about turning on tall the hot water you can in the smallest bathroom in the house and letting her breath in some steam? Or using one of those vics Vapo shower blocks to help give her some menthol? It usually helped me and Dude.

Another thing and I know this is going to sound whacky - but coat the bottom of her feet with Vics vapo rub and put on some nice cotton socks. Can't tell you what the feet have to do with the lungs or where the trigger points are feet to lungs or why menthol on your feet help your lungs but I did it with Dude not too long ago when he got a seeming case of bronchitis and it went away almost over night. No joke. Just weird.

Give my little quacker a hug from her Auntie Star. Sounds like she's got plenty of good Nurse Aunties here. And you just send that condescending nurse to us. :mad:

Sheila

Don't worry about being an "overly concerned mother." (I'll share my title with you. lol)

With this flu floating around and her with asthema, I'd pitch a fit if that's what it takes to light a fire under the doctor's booty.

witzend

Hopefully the condescending nurse is right, and she will recover with the treatment she is currently getting. The poor kid needs rest, to be sure. It's unfortunate that they aren't more communicative. By all means, take her to the ER if you think she needs it!

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone. The first nebulizer treatment calmed her asthma cough quite a bit from 4 -8 pm. The cough came back... steadily getting worse and more constant until I gave her another treatment just now at 9:30. I gave it a half hour earlier than I'm supposed to because she couldn't fall asleep due to the cough. It's still there but calming down again.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Can Duckie take something specifically for the cough in addition to the nebulizer?

Star, I will find out the exact name, but there are many homeopathic remedies that are used by putting particular oils on the feet. The mentholatum in Vicks on the feet is very helpful for any kind of congestion in the respiratory system. About that hot steaming shower? Well, if makes my asthma worse. But hey, I hear it works wonders for some, so it's worth at least a try.

graceupongrace

TM,

You probably already know this, but make sure Duckie inhales all the medication in the nebulizer compartment. Sometimes it takes a while. They make a sort of mask that kids can use with the nebulizer if the mouthpiece is too hard for her to use on its own -- the mask helps ensure that the medication goes into her lungs and not into the air.

Many hugs to you and Duckie!

DammitJanet

They used the mask on me when I was in the ICU. I dont remember why I was getting breathing treatments but I was. Now that mask would terrify me but then, heck, I was too out of it to complain...lol.

I have used the vicks on the feet with both me and Keyana before. It works! Have no idea why though.