I've Got A Stressfree, Easy Peasy, question for you guys.

DDD

I am letting my hair grow cause I'm sick of having the same short haircut and I'm sick of paying to keep my short haircut looking the way it's suppose to look. :)

SO it's growing like a weed but it's getting thin because I'm an old people, lol. What I want to do is let it grow a bit and instead of having it short around my ears I want to pull it "back" or "up" away from my face. I bought two pkgs of barrets and neither style is working. The ones that work better are the old fashioned kind that are like a simple V style where you slip the end under the curved edge.

Alas, it isn't holding the hair back (yeah, I'm sure it is long enough) before it gets loose. I am not a "hair" or "makeup" kinda woman. I just want to see if I "think" I look better with no hair over my ears or hanging on my face. Sigh! On a scale of 1 to 1000, lol, I'm not sure this qualifies as a 2. But, do you guys have any suggestions. Maybe I'm suppose to spray hair spray? Gel? Something to make it stay in the stupid barret. I missed the courses on Beauty Maintenance 101 and beyond. Ideas?? DDD

InsaneCdn

I can't relate to "growing out" (mine's always been long)... but...

1) Clips instead of barrettes - not sure what they would be called in the US. They are slightly curved, usually kinda v-shaped; put pressure on them one way, and it opens, reverse pressure to close. Fell in love with these when I had a young girl with very fine hair

2) Hair foam - it's kind of like gel, but easier to work with. Put a dab of foam where you want the barette or clip to go, comb in the direction you want it to stay, and fasten back. OR... just comb it back in where you want it and blow it dry.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Bobbi pins? A hair band, they have nice ones that are covered in cloth or leather. Or those things that have teeth on them and you pull the hair up and then back and it stays in your hair, they have really pretty ones too, little and large, all different sizes.

DDD

I'm not sure what a "clip" is if it "closes" but I do know what "hair foam" is...not bad, lol, 50/50. I'm not handy with a blow dryer except just to dry my head. Never have been able to use a "curling iron", I think they're called. Thanks Insane. DDD

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I rather prefer the claw style hair clips, they hold my hair up better (and mine has really thinned out, too). And the new Pantene Silky Moisture Whip Moisturizer & Styler mousse stuff - OMW I love this stuff! Every time there's a $3 off 2 Pantene items coupon in the paper I get a few papers and stock up on the stuff.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
To pull my hair back...........I like it long but can't stand it in my face..........I use hair clips or pony tail holders. My hair clips are plastic with a hinge and teeth. (similar to those a hair stylist will use while cutting your hair to keep sections she's not working on out of the way) My hair is thick but super fine. Barrettes of any sort, including those suggested by IC, slide right out of my hair regardless of any hair product I might try.

This is why I'm not a "hair person". My hair won't hold a curl longer than 5 mins without a super tight perm (which wears off super fast so I gave up on them ages ago). Most hair pretties such as barrettes ect stay in even less amount of time. Aggravating.

InsaneCdn

DDD and Lisa...
If I lived closer, I'd come over and demonstrate at least a dozen different ways of solving the problem...
But creative solutions are difficult to describe in text or even in pictures, and it depends on the particular type of hair to begin with.

nerfherder

I'd suggest finding a cosmetologist, not the most expensive, but not from a discount chain either. If you can afford it (call it personal hair therapy!) figure on at least $25 for a session, explain your situation, and ask for a lesson on how to do what you think you want, and see if maybe she (or he) can demonstrate so you learn, rather than just being "done to." I've done that in the past, and I learned enough to know how to cut my kiddos' hair too!

DDD

Okay, I'll buy the Pantene for sure. My hairdresser hasn't "seen" my longer hair, lol, and I'm sure she'll want to "even it out" as it does look shaggy..understatement. Insane, I would ship my head UPS to your house if I could. I'll look for the "clips" but I know that hairbands, headbands, etc. would look silly on a 72 year old. My hair isn't quite long enough or possibly thick enough anymore to use the backward combs to hold it. I "think" that having metal rubbing back and forth on the hair tends to cut or damage the strands??? Maybe that's an old wives tale??? Thanks for the input. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
DDD, I have a LOT of hair. It is VERY long - almost to my waist. It is SUPER curly and SUPER fine. Recipe for disaster! I frizz when it's not even humid out.

I ponytail or French braid a lot, and even so I have all these wisps everywhere around my face. I use the snap clips that IC recommended... Even then some wisps slip free. I absolutely HATE gels and mousses and hair spray... But I do love butterfly/claw clips. I pull my hair back, twist it up, and clip.
http://www.goody.com/Search-Results?p=claw

They do have slip-proof ones... I've never bought any of those, though. The no-slip elastics slide right out of my hair and get tangled in the curls.

InsaneCdn

The no-slip elastics slide right out of my hair and get tangled in the curls.
Ironic, right? I have the same problem, except when my hair is wet. No idea why... but at least they work at the pool!

trinityroyal

DDD, what about an Alice band? (So called because of Alice in Wonderland)
alice-band-silver-plated-1000x1000.jpg

They come in very simple styles, and many different colours. They even make some that go all the way around your head, so you don't have those pinchy parts behind the ears. The last time I grew my hair out, I wore them ALL THE TIME to keep the short bits on the sides in order. I got a colour that matched my hair, so you couldn't see it unless you looked very closely.

My hair texture is very fine and very curly, and I have lots of it. Most hair doodles fall off, but the Alice bands stay right where I put them, even when I jump around or hang upside down from the monkey bars. (Yes, I know that from experience).

trinityroyal

graphics-alice-in-wonderland-700136.jpg

The Alice band, on Alice. I think they look nice on everyone, regardless of age. You just have to style the front part of your hair in a way that suits you, and then you can push back the sides. Or, you can push back all of your hair if you don't like it touching your face at all.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:rofl: Trinity, they don't stay in my hair unless I pin them in! The very wide ones are better. The ones that go all the way round fall off fast unless they are the ones with teeth, and even then...

DDD, I dunno about stressfree. My hair stresses me out on a regular basis!!!

trinityroyal

I am getting such a kick out of this thread. It's so interesting how many things work wonders for one, and not at all for another. Sort of like our difficult children...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When my hair is short, I have a cowlick at my crown that makes it flip forwards so I must use TONS of styling product which I hate. Takes me less time to brush and ponytail it when it's long. But when I ponytail it I get these wispies - and I have a little dip of babyfine, babyshort hair on the left side of my forehead. This is why I part on the right... WHEN I part...

trinityroyal

I have those wisps around my hairline too. Over the years I've learned to make them into a "style" rather than trying to fight them. So, when I wear my hair in a bun (which is almost always), there are little curling tendrils around my face. They'll be there whether I intend it or not, but by leaving them out deliberately, I can at least ensure they're in some sort of order rather than random.