I've had the hiccups for the last 90 minutes.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Someone give me a dull spoon. Maybe a spork. I could spork myself to death.

I've tried all the suggestions. I'm just sitting here hiccuping about every 5 seconds. I've drank water upside down. I've held my breath for 30 seconds, which is not that easy at my age. I've breathed into a paper bag. They just keep going on and on and on.

I only have them once or twice a year, but when I get them...they are narly.

Abbey

F

flutterbee

I have the hiccup cure. difficult child gets them all the time. Always has - since before birth.

1. Sit down and do a few deep, slow breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Let your body relax. (difficult child and I sit Indian style with our hands turned up on our knees - think of a yoga pose type thing - but as long as you're comfortable and relaxed, that's what counts.)

2. Take another deep, slow breath and this time hold it. While you hold your breath, relax your body except for your chest. Make sure your lungs are really full and you're kind of pushing them out a little.

3. Hold the breath until it starts to become uncomfortable (hint: you should NOT be feeling like you're going to pass out) and then slowly exhale through your mouth. (A controlled exhale - not all the air just gasping out.)

4. Do a few more deep, slow breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth while keeping your body relax.

You might have to do it more than once - especially if you're not very relaxed. It works every time for me and for difficult child.

This is also what I tell her to do when her anxiety kicks up. I tell her to do her hiccup breathing. She's been doing this since she was young enough to mimick behavior and follow directions.

klmno

Cute, Sara! (That has to be one of the few things that is funnier online than it would be in person)

I do what Heather suggested- except after holding my breath instead of letting it out slowly, I inhale more, and inhale as many times and as much as I can before starting to exhale as slowly as I can. This works for me (unless I pass out- just kidding!)

Maybe granny pants guy can come in with nothing on but his underwear????

Andy

Sara took my suggestion.

1st fear, then laughter - yep, you came to the right board for both!!

However, Wyntersgrace suggestion is probably the most effective (though not as fun as scaring you and making you laugh).

:surprise::rofl: Breathe, slowly, slowly breathe

Abbey

Spork Queen
You guys are too bad.

They are FINALLY gone. I just laid down and hiccupped for a good hour, but relaxed. I think I actually dozed off for a bit.

NVTS...a white horse??? I've ridden lots of horses, but not a white one.

Sara, your scaring didn't help. I tried to be really frightened.

Wynter...that's probably worked for me. I just needed to relax and breathe. And yes, they are gone.

Abbey

KTMom91

So you're ready for next time...my brother's sure cure for hiccups. Lay flat on the floor on your back. Raise your arms and legs as high in the air as you can. Then have someone dance around you yelling, "Dead bug! Dead bug! Dead bug!"

Don't know if he still uses this cure, but if he does I'm sure his kids love it!

Abbey

Spork Queen
So you're ready for next time...my brother's sure cure for hiccups. Lay flat on the floor on your back. Raise your arms and legs as high in the air as you can. Then have someone dance around you yelling, "Dead bug! Dead bug! Dead bug!"

Don't know if he still uses this cure, but if he does I'm sure his kids love it!

OMG. First of all, I can't even stand the visual. Then...it's the physical thing. Ok, I'm going to try it right now. First I have to get off of my chair.

Abbey

F

flutterbee

Ok. What did I miss? Who is Granny Pants Guy (can we just shorten it to GPG for those of us who are impatient?)??? Is he the guy that caught Abbey in HER granny panties or is this a guy who wears granny panties?

I'm so lost.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather

I think he's the guy who caught her in her granny panties.

And Abbey I've got the visual going on in my head. Of you on the floor, arms and legs up playing the dead bug with GPG dancing around you. :rofl: :rofl:

Now if that visual give me weird dreams........... :rofl:

Abbey

Spork Queen
They were MY granny pants, thank you. :916blusher:And yes, GPG was dying laughing when I told him your suggestions. He ran around my computer chair (I refused to lie on the floor) yelling BOO, BOO, BOO!!!

He's never seen the CD board. After I fell on the floor laughing, he read this post. He said you're all nuts, and you told them about the granny pants? Ummm...yep. I should hang them on his door so the other roomies can see them.:bigsmile:

I told him he should feel special because he has his own acronym now- GPG.

Abbey

nvts

The way I always cured other people's hiccups was to ask an "out of left field question". They'd be so surprised by the question, that they'd get startled, look at me like I was nuts and the hiccups would be gone.

Give it a try on someone and you'll see that it works.

Another sure fire one is to take a slice of lemon, sprinkle Angustora Bitters on it and **** on the lemon (one of my patented bartenders tricks). It works like a charm!

Beth

OpenWindow

My husband's cure: eat a spoonful of sugar. My daughter gets them all the time when we tickle her, and the sugar trick always makes them go away.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Remember..................the bathroom...............rememmmmmmber the batttttttthhrooooom. :sick:

4sumrzn

nvts mentioned the cure our family uses. The best one I've used is "I know what you did last night".....the person looks at you like they have seen a ghost & it has worked every time. My personal cure is chewing 2 Gaviscon.