Malika

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I posted here though I still come occasionally to read posts. We are still in Morocco - after to-ing and fro-ing about where to go, I decided in the end that continuity was the most important thing. J has started at a new school here, kind of alternative set up run by a French lady with two assistants - school in the morning, activities in the afternoon, no homework (hurray!!), no grades. It's been only three days but so far J is very enthusiastic.
Since posting here regularly we have had two tries with medication. Concerta lasted two weeks... it's only effect seemed to be to make J far more hyperactive and impulsive than he already is and Ritalin lasted three days - as with Quasym and Strattera, scary, horrible, psychotic rebounds, though the Ritalin ones were the worst. It just is not possible to continue with nightly aggressive, frightening rages like that. So J is unmedicated and therefore not able to learn or concentrate very efficiently.
Each time we have a bad experience like this my belief that there is a medication that can help J decreases, my enthusiasm for trying too. Unfortunately in France and Morocco, there is no access to the other medications like Focalin and Daytrana that you have.
What do you all think about the prospect of "doing" ADHD without medications?

pasajes4

It can be done. I did it with my oldest son. He was compliant with a very structured environment. He was also very mild mannered.

TerryJ2

Hi Malika, so nice to "see" you again. :)
It is really hard to work without medications but if you don't have them, you don't have a choice. Maybe the teachers have some ideas?
I know a guy from Zimbabwe who walked 10 miles to and 10 miles from school every day ... I thought it was just because they were poor and there was crummy transportation, but he is definitely ADHD, lol! His mom was one smart cookie.
He ended up moving to the U.S. and getting his Ph.D. So it can turn out well.
The only other thing I can think of, besides changes J's diet (although you have probably already done so) is to go to France, to a big city, for his medications.

Malika

Hi Terry. Nice to "see" you too :) How goes life with you and yours?
The issue, alas or not, is not the availability of medications. The main stimulants would all be available to us - but so far all of them result in J going doo-lally, really, horribly doo-lally, when they wear off. After three days of that, I just view plain old ADHD/ODD with relief...

LittleDudesMom

It can be done with a structured environment, clear expectations (and the flip would be consistent consequences), a strict schedule, closely monitoring his diet, and good sleeping habits. My son was not off his adhd medications until much later in his school "career", but it is possible. Your son is old enough to understand he has adhd. Sit down and talk to him when he is at his calmest point. Let him know that the medications he tried are just not the answer for him. Explain your expectations of him and allow him to make some type of reward systems. For 2 school days without incident a bike ride with mom after dinner or For a whole weekend with no back talk, his choice of a movie and cuddle on the sofa Sunday night, etc. Make sure the goals are manageable at first and the rewards don't cost you any money! As time moves forward, extend the goals by adding more days, etc.

Confused

I also have heard it can be done and from I remember your son is well behaved overall and its the basic ADHD so your already in a great position! My neighbor refused to put her son on medications( didnt really believe in medications for anything) and would have him do more "play" and exercise rite after school then do whats needed. She said she used structure. As the others mentioned. And I think no homework will make a difference, who knows, J might want to review on his own because the pressure isnt there! My son is also on clonidine for his sleep issues but it can also be used for ADHd, so you can ask the Dr. I forgot if you tried that before, its been so long since I read your old medication post, Im now catching up with all of you again. Hugs!

Malika

Strangely enough (as I know sleep disturbance is common in ADHD), J has always slept early and generally goes out like a light. This is important. I can see that structure plays a big role. I'm not worried about him reviewing anything, Confused, as there is nothing he needs to retain at this stage. I know, I'm an old hippy! But I think school is going to be hard with his very limited concentration.