Jamie has entered the police academy

DammitJanet

He started a week ago.

There wasnt any room for advancement as a animal control officer so they are sending him to the academy so he can transfer over to the police department. I just know you guys will be so thrilled with me now...lol. If teachers are hard to deal with, the police are even worse! Now one of our own has gone over to the dark side...lol.

One good thing is that Jamie does have a good working knowledge of mental health issues so he will take that with him into his career.

He had the honor of being chosen to be the leader of the Color Guard because of his military experience too.

So looks like change is happening on that front. Now its more for me to worry about. Not much danger as an animal control officer. Much more danger with this.

LittleDudesMom

Janet,

It is understandable why Jamie wants to make the move - worrisome for mom - but understandable for him! He will do well.

At least my difficult child will have someone to look up to and question if he keeps on his career path!

I so, so, so, so, so, so, so enjoyed meeting you and Tony yesterday! Don't you all get jealous!!! I met sweet Janet and her adoring Tony at my house yesterday. It was great! I'm so glad that Tony enjoyed the furniture - it's nice to talk to someone who appreciates the art of cabinetmaking in the old style - hope he gets his workshop going! Big hug to you and Tony.

Sharon

donna723

Janet, I think it's wonderful that Jamie is going to be a police officer! Actually a lot of people make the transition from the military to law enforcement and usually it's a pretty good fit. How many weeks do they have to go to the academy?

My son-in-law, an Air Force veteran, just went through nine weeks of training at the South Carolina police academy and I'm really proud of him! I was a little surprised that he chose to do it but jobs in his field are getting scarce and he's always wanted to go into law enforcement. It's a little rough on the families because they can only come home on the weekends. sister in law has always done his share of the housework, cooking, and baby chasing so my daughter really missed him when he was gone but it will be worth it. Best of luck to Jamie in his new career!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - JUST THE SIZE of this man is enough to make people shut up and behave. And his demeanor? WONDERFUL with people.....you know he can always go back to catching dogs (the 4 legged kind) if he wants to - What a ride huh J? What a ride!

DDD

I'm really happy that he is getting this opportunity. It sounds like (over the years) he might actually be a chamption for justice and we are all in favor of that! I know you all are proud as well as a wee bit concerned. My easy child spent some time with the SO
in our County before he found his niche. All in all it was a positive experience and I know all the people were treated fairly and with compassion. Congrats! DDD

DammitJanet

Well considering that Jamie really blew his opportunity to get his education with the GI Bill, he has to do things the hard way. I guess my boys just have that difficult child gene in them...lol. Jamie didnt check the box to have the 100 bucks a month taken out of his check for the first year of his enlistment which meant he didnt qualify for the GI Bill. I dont think they should give them a choice in my opinion. What 17 or 18 year old kid is gonna think that far down the line? Obviously mine didnt. Mine had a girlfriend who said "But honey, we are gonna need that $100 to live on!" Gag me now!

You do not want to know how many times we have yelled at him about this subject...lol. The mere mention of "You served in the Marines for 4 years and all you got is what?" is met with stony silence...lmao.

Im not sure how long the training is. Guess I will know when its over. This town he lives in is a pretty small town but it backs up to pretty large towns. He is right next door to Fredricksburg Va and Alexandria VA which of course, is next to Difficult Child. This all is in the corridor between Difficult Child and Richmond. He is on 95 which is the cocaine pipeline from Miami to NYC. Being outside of Difficult Child...actually only 40 miles outside...there are plenty of gangs. Not wannabe's but real ones. But Jamie is a big boy. He is also an expert marksman and knows how to handle himself. Though I dont know if being big is good or not sometimes...lol. Lots of body area to aim for. You should see him in a bullet proof vest. Im like, what is that supposed to cover?

Nancy

Good for him Janet, he will do well.

I agree Sharon, Janet and Tony are delightful people and I so enjoyed our time together in Cleveland.

Nancy

Jena

i think it's great news tell him congratulations from all us insane mom's on the board lol. seriously though maybe it'll be good for him. i hope they place him in a safe area. try not to worry easier said than done i know.

((Hugs))

Steely

I am excited for him!!! He will bring one more bright lite into an otherwise dimly lit law enforcement world.
Kudos to Jamie!!!!

Congrats to Jamie and his proud Mom! I can't think of a better way to give back to the community. It's a hard job, but the men and women who perform this job have a strong connection with one another. They really look out for one another, in many ways....

I'm guessing Jamie could be a great school resource officer. Wow, he would really understand the kids, wouldn't he?

Valerie

Mattsmom277

This is fantastic news Janet! Best of luck to Jamie in his new career. I have a feeling he is going to find his perfect niche in this new position. He just sounds the type to make a wonderful officer. I totally understand the mama worrying type thing, but it sounds like he is well equipped to handle himself and I do think he's going to bring something to the table of whatever force he ends up with that is invaluable. Understanding mental health issues will lend a compassion when needed and a knowledge so many officers are not equipped with. This is awesome :)

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
oh sweets it's so encouraging to hear he's doing well and moving in a positive direction :) I needed to hear some good news today, difficult child I pulled a prodigal son (again) and is home....but not for long!