Jigsaw mother in law's and wacky baby shower games update

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ok, so... The baby shower went off without a hitch. The games were great, the girls did a great job hosting, and even difficult child helped and was mostly good for it. He is really into decorating, lemme tell ya.

PS we made the bottle of babies game by taking little plastic babies that you get as "favors" and boiling them til you could bend their arms enough to make them linkable, then stuck them in a bottle.

Bowling was a hit. Love the dirty diaper ideas!

As for the good ol' mother in law...well... I am not sure the last time I actually spoke to her. She was here at my house for the 4th of July but she never got out of her car. She did call me one day a month or so ago and asked me if my mom was in danger of flooding. Literally, that's all that was said when I answered my phone. Not even a hello. (she wants my mom's antiques from her house - keeps waiting for the sale since dad died.) Not speaking to me is typical from her. On Memorial weekend, we drove 3 hours to her dinner for father in law's birthday and the ONLY thing she said to me was to ask where easy child 2 was (we didn't have difficult child 2, either, but she didn't ask about him - nor did she thank me for helping set up or say "hi" or say "bye" or say "thanks for coming" or any other phrase).

So you get the idea. She doesn't speak to me much, and that's fine with me.

So I helped the girls with this shower today for (follow me here) husband's sister's ex-husband and his new wife (my ex-brother in law and his new wife). This is mother in law's ex son-in-law. I got home at 8 tonight, after leaving at 8am, and husband took me out to eat. His mom, dad, and sister were at the same restaurant. Remember how much this woman speaks to me now...

I was no more than seated and she was behind me with husband's sister beside her. Wanna know what she said?

"HOW WAS YOUR SHOWER? DID YOU HAVE A GOOD TURN OUT? DO THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE HAVING? WHO ALL CAME? Did they get nice gifts? How many did they get?" blah blah blah blah...you get the idea.

Of course, sister in law had to ask "who's shower did you go to?" And I didn't want to lie, so I told her. She knows we still see her ex, but we don't bring it up around her and all is well. She handled it ok, but I wanted to wring mother in law's neck. She was stirring the pot and nothing more.

So, being mean like I am, later on I just told them that the last time they ate at that restaraunt with us, they were being observed by the in-home. (which was true - I set it up and didn't tell a soul - I was being observed, too, but I was the only one who knew). difficult child was really good that night, but it mugged the crap out of her. Smack my hand now, cause that was bad, but dangit, she just gets me.

And I think next Christmas, after she asks me to deliver homemade candy to ex-brother in law for her, I'll be sure to tell her, in front of sister in law, that he enjoyed his candy and sends his thanks.

Marked or not, she's a few pieces short of a puzzle...ugh. I am reminded why I avoid her.

klmno

Marked or not, she's a few pieces short of a puzzle...ugh. I am reminded why I avoid her.
:rofl::rofl:

Wow, that was good!! I'm going to have to remember that one!

You know what's going on, you are dealing with it well- hang in there!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, I almost forgot...as we were leaving, she said to wee difficult child "when are you going to come visit me?"

I swear he has not been prompted or coached.

He replied "I guess maybe sometime if you ever ask me to."

F

flutterbee

Way to go, wee difficult child!!!!!! I bet the look on her face was priceless. I would have loved to have been a fly on that wall.

Your mother in law is a piece of work. To put it mildly. Wow.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Shari

The only way to deal with someone like that is to fight fire with fire whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I'm glad you got her back for doing that to your sister in law. Lord, am I truely blessed in the mother in law dept.

Hugs

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Whoa! And I thought MY mother in law was bad! That woman takes the cake for SURE! Geez what a witch! You did very well dishing it back out in spades to her -- and your difficult child's retort was PRICELESS!!! :rofl:

donna723

You know, one of my grandmothers was just like that! Always "instigating", stirring things up, causing trouble. And I always felt a little guilty for disliking her, even after she's been gone all these years. Now I don't! Thanks!

Andy

Sounds like my mother in law - she was so controlling - was mad that I wouldn't allow her a key to our home when we went on our honeymoon (I wasn't going to let that snoop in my house) - "But what if you left an iron on and the house burnt down when you were gone?" "No problem, we will deal with it when we return! No big deal!"

I found that a "It is no big deal" and shrugging it off worked best with my mother in law. What burns them most is when you don't take anything they say as serious, "Well, whatever, if grandchild's clothes get dirty, no big deal. Who cares that milk got spilt on your coffee table? You just clean it up." Then when you know they are going to say something judgemental, you jump in before they can open their mouths and reassure the person that it really is o.k. "Oh, difficult child, I know that was an accident, no big deal, let's find a towel to clean it." (don't forget to smile the whole time and repeat, "no big deal") Some mother in law's want everything to be an end-of-the-earth drama that only they can solve. They are reliving their drama queen teenage years.

Sometimes mother in law's do act like teenagers - Drama queens whose lives are the center of everyone's world and you best do what they say or else. I always opt for the or else and then laugh off the pathetic consequence - so much like a teenager sometimes.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
gee my mother in law is a direct descendant of the Jersey Devil!

I love the dirty diaper game, but it always leaves me craving chocolate!

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'd be devlishly enough to give her a nicely wrapped puzzle that looks like it's never been opened, but missing all the outside pieces. (That's where you always start.)

Give her a good 1000 piece puzzle. It will take her weeks to figure it out.

Abbey

Marguerite

No Abbey, you need to make sure all the outside pieces are there. Remove ONE piece from the rest of the puzzle. That way she will blame it on her own housekeeping!

I know, I'm pure evil.

Marg

Abbey

Spork Queen
I shoulda just gave her back the puzzles missing the pieces and told her someone musta stole them.

You could really unnerve her. Make a fake website about secret puzzle piece stealers gang and insist she look at it. They break into your house while you're away, silently searching until they find your puzzles and take only ONE piece. They might even change the initials on a piece or two just because they're so mean. She's been a victim.

(corner time for me)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I like her devious mind.

Obviously, I need to start initialing everything I own. I went to put our air conditioner in the window, and seems it grew legs and walked off. (YES, an AIR CONDITIONER - not exactly an item that is easily lost) Guess where I found it?...

Abbey

Spork Queen
How do you lose an air conditioner???:surprise:

Yes...1st step: I admit I am devious. And, not willing at this point to go to step 2.

Abbey

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I don't know, but it was in mother in law's shed. Found it when I took mower parts to husband out there.

I guess I shoulda had my initials on it. Apparently theives don't take things that are initialled. Silly me.

Ya know, the next time she's gonna be around any of our livestock, (or maybe even using my trailer) I think I'll paint my initials on the sides - huge and flourescent orange. She won't get it, but it will make me laugh.