Job Corps

DDD

Does anyone know what diagnosis's and medications fit into their parameters? The idea has come up for 18 year old difficult child who is going backwards living with his biomom. I called the toll free for J.C. and the womans said "medications are not against the rules but our personnel checks to see exactly why the person is taking medication before approving them". Makes sense. on the other hand, I would like to know if Aspergers is disallowed and really assume that his schizoaffective disorder would eliminate him. DDD

klmno

I ran across something about medications for regular branches of the military, but am not sure that it would be the same for Job Corp. My guess is that you could find it online if you dig a while with searches on medical or physical fitness requirements.

FWIW, I have heard rumor that job corps is good for kids who can do better around other kids with the same or worse issues, but if the kid does better around others who have not had similar issues, it might not be the right answer for them.

MyFriendKita

One of my son's friends went to Job Corps near where we live (central Indiana), as did one of my nieces. I don't know if they're all alike, but I would not send a kid with Aspergers to this one. I wouldn't send any kid who isn't street tough and street smart to this one, including my own son (he's bipolar). D (my son's friend) was beaten up, and he said it was no big deal, it happens to everyone there, kind of like an initiation ritual. My niece had a drug problem, and was able to continue using while there. D failed drug tests for using pot while there, but nothing much ever happened (I think they put him on restriction). There doesn't seem to be a lot of supervision for the level of problem kids they have. I'll ask my son for more info, but from what I know about this one, I wouldn't recommend it.

DDD

Thanks. Some of the locations are allegedly very rough. Some are really quite laid back and rural. It's a shot in the dark, I guess. One thing that I do know, however, is that they can quit and come home when they want to. I doubt it would work for him but things are getting worse this summer. DDD