job dilema

Abbey

Spork Queen
After months of searching for ANY kind of job, I was offered two in the same day. Go figure. I am the person when you are driving and not sure if you should right or left, I always chose the wrong one.:furious:

One job is with a well known bank. Not much money and a 30 minute commute to get there. Bottom level, but that's ok.

The other is with a major retail store who wants me to be the home appliance manager. I told her...I don't know anything other than how to make them work. She has a young work force that needs direction from a 'mature' person. Geez... The problem is, it's a completely commision based salary with tons of potential of growth.

I can sell. That is for sure. Monitoring a bunch of 18 year olds who are trying to sell...well, not sure.

So, do I go for the steady-eddie, or risk-take.

Do I go right or left??

Abbey

Coookie

Well Abbey,

The older I get the more risks I take. :) If it were me I would go with the risky one. You would be a fantastic sales person and you have had a lot of experience with .... well you know what I mean. :)

I just don't envision you in a bank... but then I could be wrong... from the tone of your thread the risky one seems to have you more excited. :)

I know I have been absolutely no help but hey... I tried. :)

Hugs

klmno

I may be a little more on the conservative side- but I guess it depends on how much financial risk you are in a position to take. One thing I would suggest- call back whoever interviewed you and asked a few questions- for instance, how loong was the last manager there and why did they leave. This should help you determine a little better if the young sales people are staying on while the store goes through managers for them.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Do you want to get involved with your job or are you looking to pass time and make some $$$? My thought would be if you only want to work a couple of years, don't want to feel tied to your job then take the bank job. If you want more of a challenge and feel you could sell to make commissions and think you could handle a young team, then take the managing position. It actually sounds more challenging (from your description). Good luck with your decision.....it will be the right one for you.......

meowbunny

Banks promote. Plus for them if you're looking at the long-term. You know what your salary and hours/days working will be every month. Makes it easier for budgeting purposes. Zero challenge once you get the basics.

Sales is risky. Babysitting/pushing a bunch of young adults can be shall we say interesting. You'd have the potential to make a very good salary and LV is not cheap. Work schedule will likely fluctuate. A lot of challenges which could be a lot of fun.

I like the idea of finding out why the previous manager left and how long they were there. That would probably be my deciding factor. Otherwise, I'd go for the sales. It sounds a lot more interesting and, thus, I'd be more likely to keep the job. Since you have a background as a teacher and a few kids yourself, managing them shouldn't be that much of a difficulty. You're good at sales.

Oh, one suggestion .......... keep your fingers out of the appliances if you take that job.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Make a list of all the advantages you think the bank would have

Make a list of all the advantages you think the retail would have

Cross out the ones that are the same.

Make a list of all the things you wouldn't like about the bank.

Make a list of all the things you wouldn't like about the retail.

Cross out the ones that are the same.

Which ever list at the end of your exercise has the more positives - Go for that job.

Could steady eddie work into a higher level job?
What benefits are you being offered by each?
Which job is closer /vs/ gasoline prices?
Which one isnt' going to tie up your normal days off?
Which one has better earning potential vs. benefits
Which one lets you dress like you would like to? Does that mean NEW clothes in a smaller size? Will that be expensive?
Which one exposes you to more people, germs?
Which one has a Queen B working in it that you might not get along with?
Which one could lead you to an even better position by contacts?
Does the bank give a discount?
Does the appliance place give free dishwashers?
What's your bonus potential?
When do you get a vacation?
Whats in it for you?
Which job has a safer environment
Which job has the potential to make YOU money?

Abbey

Spork Queen
I need a steady job. They both have that option. They also both have great benefits. I don't necessarily need one for advancement, but am drawn to the challenge.

The bank one is in a not so nice part of town. In fact, the corner has the highest drive-by rate in Vegas. :furious:Unfortunately, whoever you interview with first gets first dibs. The VERY next day I interviewed with the same bank at a location less than 5 minutes away from me. She said she would plead to let me go to her location, but it didn't happen. :(

Bottom line is I need a job. I'll be making some phone calls today.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think the one with the appliances would suit you better - I love to sell - I can sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing a white suede coat on a hot July Day.

I think the bank job wouldn't have as many challenges -

BUT

With the bank job you would KNOW what you are going to do most every day, and there could be room for advancement - always is in a financial institution - and once they saw you mad skillz - you'd move up.

plus the fact that it's on a high traffic drive by corner - unless you're an NRA ninja with a CWP - I think I'd pass on that location altogether.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Mmmm, I would go for the sales. You have a GOOD personality Abbey and that is half the battle when you are trying to sell something.

Although I don't think I personally could handle a young crew (shoot, part of my job negotiation was that there would be no guys in my office - EVER - cause they never seem to be able to do paperwork and look around for a skirt to do it for them LOL) you at least have experience with kids.

Marcie

ScentofCedar

I vote for the bank job. But that is because I wouldn't want to be the one trying to manage or motivate kids and I would make an awful salesperson. Having been a teacher, you might just love the managing/motivating part though.

Isn't that just the way it always goes?

No job offers and then, two on the same day!

Wishing well with your decision, Abbey.

:)

Barbara

Marguerite

Star, you said, "I love to sell - I can sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing a white suede coat on a hot July Day."

husband wants to know - "But can you sell a beetroot sandwich on crispbread to the same woman in an Aussie summer?"

And difficult child 1 asked if you could sell venetian blinds to a homeless man?

Abbey, if you're seriously considering the sales job because the distance is the (almost) deciding factor, I wonder what would be the response if you told the bank, "I would love to work with you, but I do have a different job offer which is closer to my home. However, if you chose to let me work at the much nearer branch, I would reconsider taking that other job and definitely work for you. If not - thank you, but no thank you."

Just a thought.

Marg

busywend

Abbey, you are a teacher. I bet you will LOVE working with the kids - you just said you missed that about your old job.

I vote for the risky sales job that seems much more rewarding to me.

Sue C

Didin't lose it...just resigned. Long story. I miss the kids. :(
Abbey

I'm sorry, Abbey. Thanks for explaining.

I have no advice on which job you should take. I'll throw in a wrench....can you continue watching for another job? Perhaps a different teaching job? I know you loved teaching so much!

sue