Job news for Sonic

BusynMember

Sonic (for new posters he is my autistic adult son) has been working at a little kitchen at a small company. Sonic has been there for many years. He found out last month that they were closing the kitchen. We were all sad. Sonic started looking for a new job or more hours at his second part time job. He gets SSI to supplemnt his income.

Today he found out that although the kitchen is closing, the snack bar is staying open and he will be the lone worker to do everything. He was so excited, he was stuttering! Sometimes he sounds like a man abd simetimes like an excited little kid! He sounded like a kid today!

Yet he already had an interview to work somewhere else on a computer. He doesnt want to give up the interview so we will see. He also works at Game Stop, which he loves! Of course. He dies like and overindulge in videogames, but he is 24 and on his own....up to him.

That is just an update on my 24 year old autistic son. He is doing great without a guardian.

BusynMember

He has always worked as do most of the adults from his Special Olympics bowling group. These adults have disabiluties...autism, cognigive delays, mental illness, etc. The ones who I talk to work at McDonalds to other restaurants to car dealerships to housekeeping jobs to janitorial to hard labor and manufacturing. Many are on their own.

There is a job for everyone out there but the person has to want to work and cant always only work if its a high level job. Many of these adults have bipolar to stablized schizophrenia (one schizophrenic takes a shot each month of Risperdal to keep stable) and he was thrilled when he got a job.

Special Olympics is supposed to be for cognitively delayed people, but Sonic has a normal IQ as do much of this group. I have a great deal of admiration for all of them. My autistic son is not a difficult child at all. He is just challenged by being born a bit differently.

My oldest, who has np disabilities and a sky high IQ has always been my diffocult child. By far!!!

A dad

WEll if I remember correctly all your children including your oldest have jobs. From that point of view success all around.

BusynMember

They had to have jobs, adad. We dont have extra money and they knew that if they didnt work they wouldnt have. They worked even for their part of the car insurance on our car. No big presents from us...we lived paycheck to the next.

This lack of wealth yet with loving parents helped shape their work ethics. I am often grateful we couldnt afford to get them cars, fancy name brand clothes or an all paid for college education. I truly brlieve you only appreciate and feel protective of what YOU work for. Making life too easy for our kids in my opinion makes lazy adult kids who know the parents can afford to buy his toys, pay his rent, etc. If they get too much, they seem to expect it. How many of our adult children on this forum wrecked the cars we gave them? Or paid to fix? The apartments for them that were paid for? How many blew off their college educations that parents paid for 100%? Even a few destroyed houses bought for them. Notbonly that, but many abuse the parents because they stop the freebies.

People dont appreciate gifts like if they receive gifts from their own hard work. I totally believe this.

My kids have no such illusions about getting pricey gifts and work hard, like WE always did. They are not entitled. Even Bart pays his own way, except for his court case in which ex is helping him. No...i do not have a problem getting them to work. Never did. They had to work. And it paid off. No, I never had sny problem getting them to work.

My kids are not perfect but none are lazy or entitled. Even Bart works very hard.

Last edited:

february

Sonic (for new posters he is my autistic adult son) has been working at a little kitchen at a small company. Sonic has been there for many years. He found out last month that they were closing the kitchen. We were all sad. Sonic started looking for a new job or more hours at his second part time job. He gets SSI to supplemnt his income.

Today he found out that although the kitchen is closing, the snack bar is staying open and he will be the lone worker to do everything. He was so excited, he was stuttering! Sometimes he sounds like a man abd simetimes like an excited little kid! He sounded like a kid today!

Yet he already had an interview to work somewhere else on a computer. He doesnt want to give up the interview so we will see. He also works at Game Stop, which he loves! Of course. He dies like and overindulge in videogames, but he is 24 and on his own....up to him.

That is just an update on my 24 year old autistic son. He is doing great without a guardian.

february

Good for him, its nice to hear good news!

My son is waiting for his SSI to come through, I did not know they can work with getting SSI.

But unfortunately my son does not want to work he is very picky and will not do fast food etc.

God Bless!

BusynMember

Absolutely you can work up to about $1000 a month.

February, your son is obviously, for his own reasons, happy to do nothing productive each day. For most of us that is puzzling.

Funny that your son is snooty about which job he would take yet has no problem existing on SSI.

God bless you too, february.

pasajes4

I love that Sonic works at Game Stop. He can be first in line for all the new games and earn the money to buy them at the same time.