john rosemond....it is not your fault!

Sunlight

http://rosemond.com/index.php?action=website-view&WebSiteID=389&WebPageID=16026

I like this guy and have read his stuff for years. this column was great for parents like us! an excerpt:

Parenting is an influence. It is not the be-all, end-all influence at that. The other influences include peers, genes, diet, teachers, siblings, and accidents—things over which no one had any control. But the greatest influence of all is the child’s own free will, the decisions he makes, many of which have nothing to do with anything his parents, teachers, or peers have done, and nothing to do with anything he has inherited or eaten either. This is why everyone knows of a child who grew up in a “good” home who went astray as a teen or young adult and seems hopelessly lost to this day, much to his or her parents’ dismay. It is also why everyone knows of a child who grew up under highly disadvantageous circumstances—abusive, alcoholic parents who moved from one hovel to another to stay ahead of the rent collectors, for example—who has made a spectacular life for him- or herself as an adult. That’s the way things go.

Accepting that there are things about your child that you cannot change will make for a parenthood that is significantly less stressful, ridden with guilt, and frustrating—a much happier parenthood, in other words. It’s as simple as accepting that you are not a Supreme Being.

everywoman

Amen and amen! I used to think I had some control. That was before when I made myself and difficult child crazy. Now that I've developed a more laisez-faire (sp) approach to parenting, we have a much more peaceful life.

Kathy813

Staff member
I'm glad that you posted that, Janet. I read it in last week's paper and meant to share it.

I really like John Rosemond. I wish I had found him when my children were young.

~Kathy

Kathy813

Staff member
I'm glad that you posted that, Janet. I read it in last week's paper and meant to share it.

I really like John Rosemond. I wish I had found him when my children were young.

~Kathy

Kathy813

Staff member

~Kathy