John Rosemond: When Kids Became King

BusynMember

Good read :) I am a babyboomer and it wasn't like that in my house. The kids did what they wanted...no consequences. It wasn't good. More structure would have helped everyone in our family.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I was born at the tail-end of the Baby Boom (1960) and was a product of structured upbringing as opposed to Dr. Spock.

My parents didn't believe in spanking, there was a strong family history of autism of various types, and therefore no shortage of adults, including some on the spectrum, to help my family out with raising me.

We had a TV, but it was ancient, a huge wooden console thing with a tiny screen that I had difficulty seeing. One house rule was that for every hour spent watching TV, we had to read for an hour.

I just usually headed straight for the books and cut out the TV along the way.

I think some of this is the whole "self-esteem" movement, and a lot of it is the erosion of boundaries between child and adult.

I remember hitting various milestones on the path towards adulthood, some eagerly awaited and some not. I always knew I wasn't equal to the adults in my life, or any others.

Today's kids miss out on a lot of those milestones, and many of them seem to never grow up,possibly as a result.

BusynMember

I think giving everying a child wants to him or her just because she wants it, or her friend has it, causes poor self esteem. I don't think kids nowadays have particularly good self-esteem. Do they feel entitled? YES! They are two different issues. Self-esteem happens when a person achieves on his own, not just by being told he is wonderful while he accomplishes nothing. At least, that's how I see it...Entitlement happens when we load our kids with toys without their having earned anything...they just expect it to go on a nd on and too often....it does. How many teens work part time in high school these days to buy some of their own things? How many parents think, "B-b-but that will make it too hard for my child in school!"
Yet we did it.

InsaneCdn

How many teens work part time in high school these days to buy some of their own things? How many parents think, "B-b-but that will make it too hard for my child in school!"
Yet we did it.
When I went to school, you could get into a fairly good college with pretty average marks - like, high-70s. Now? You need straight As with a raft of extra-curriculars... jobs don't count. The world has changed, without much thought as to the impact. I don't think we live in a better world for the most part.

Kathy813

Staff member
I have become a big fan of Dr. Rosemond over the last few years. As a teacher, I have seen a huge change in students and parents over the last thirty years and it is not for the better.

I think the self-esteem movement did far more harm than good. It has created a huge sense of entitlement because they have been told since birth that they are wonderful simply because they exist.

~Kathy

New Leaf

I think the self-esteem movement did far more harm than good. It has created a huge sense of entitlement because they have been told since birth that they are wonderful simply because they exist.
So true Kathy, even in sports the idea that everyone needs a trophy, everyone is a winner.
In life there is disappointment and discouragement, kids need to understand and learn that.
Parents want their kids to be happy all the time. This is not life.
I do not know how they will fare in the world with such teaching.
leafy