Joining the GrandParent Ranks

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
difficult child told me about a month ago, his girlfriend is pregnant. I tried hard to be supportive & excited during this phone conversation. I said congrats, and how do you feel about it? And he replied, "I am very proud of myself!" Which made me laugh.

He has been living with girlfriend for six months. I didn't know her or spend more than 1/2 hour with her at the point when he told me a month ago. Since then, they've been to my house a few times for dinner & visit. The first time was a few weeks ago for PCs 17 b-day. girlfriend brought her 5 yr old daughter. I feel in love with her!!

girlfriend, S, seemed to be very nice & friendly, is a cutie pie, very attentive mom. Her daughter, T, is cute as a bug in a rug! Sweet as can be, and gave me a hug when they were leaving.

The 2nd time was yesterday, they came for our Annual July 4th gathering. We met uptown & watched the Parade together first, and S fits right in! After Parade, we do the walk up & down the street. I spotted a couple elderly biker chicks. They had to be mid-to-late 60's. Standing by their bikes, looking all revved up & bikered out. I said, "There, that'll be me in about 30 years....whaddya think?"

S replies, "I'll buy you the shirt." And as she says that, I see one of the gals is wearing a t-top, black, with the word "Hottie" written in flames. I laughed!! Said to S, "You're on!"

So, after the intial SHOCK and freaking out, I am feeling better about the whole thing. Perhaps this will bring on some further maturity for difficult child. Perhaps it will be a new beginning, a new phase of his life. He claims he is sober these days, and going to AA Meetings. He continues to work his full-time job, S also works full-time. Hopefully, they can make it together, and build a life and a home with each other.

Peace

Abbey

Spork Queen
Congrats!! There have been more than one board parent that has had this happen and it is the one thing that has turned their difficult child around. Maybe this is it. Fingers and toes crossed.

Abbey

DammitJanet

Welcome aboard Pony. Parenting was the one thing that really turned me around. Also trust me, the closer it gets to due date the more excited you are going to get. I wonder...we gonna have a mini ponygirl or a little ponyboy?

meowbunny

Good question -- colt or filly. Hope this helps your son grow up. It says a lot that he wants the child and is stepping up to the plate. Wish all of you the best and congratulations.

DammitJanet

Lets hope its a good lil pony but that it gives its daddy just a taste of what daddy put his momma through...lol. I have to admit I have to hide my smirks every time Keyana does something naughty and Cory starts to get exasperated with her. I just kinda smile and say to him that he has no idea how mild this is compared to him as a toddler...lmao.

witzend

I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous! ;) Congratulations, and good for difficult child for finding such a nice girl!

Estherfromjerusalem

Congratulations! I hope everything goes smoothly. As a grandmother to many grandchildren, I can tell you that becoming a grandmother is the most exciting change of status that I can think of.

Enjoy!

Love, Esther

ScentofCedar

Congratulations, Pony!

Oh, and I have the perfect flip flops to go with your biker shirt. (Though I'm a grandma too, you know!)

They are black, with canvas straps that say "BABE" in silver sequins.

You know what they say, Pony ~ coordinating shoes make the outfit!

And here is a story about one of my grand-daughters.

So, I still wear thong underwear, right?

Ahem.

Well anyway, this particular grandchild always sleeps with me when she visits. The insider joke in our family is that I am continually asking husband (who is married to me) whether he wants to get married. He always says no, and we laugh about that. Cami was young enough at the time this story happened that she didn't get the joke. So one day, as I was climbing into bed, she took a serious look at my underwear and said, "Grandma, maybe if you stopped wearing those kinds of underwear, Grandpa would marry you."

And she meant it, too.

You will love being a grandma, Pony!

Barbara

:)

BusynMember

Hey. A baby is a baby. They're GREAT. So this little one is coming into the world before you would like--you'll love this little bundle of joy to pieces. Congratulations! You're one of us now :)

janebrain

Congratulations, Pony! I am so glad you like the girlfriend, that must help a lot to feel that this might work out okay! I will be a grandmother in late November--I am hoping it will turn out to be a good thing, not a disaster--I think it could go either way. That was funny that difficult child was "proud" of himself--takes so much skill to produce a baby, right?!
Hugs,
Jane

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Huge congrats!!! Being a grandparent is the most wonderful thing in the world.

I hope this is a major turning point for difficult child, as it seems to be for many.

((hugs))

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Thanks everybody! I haven't told my Dad the news yet. 3 out of my 4 brothers know. I told 1 a few weeks ago, and I told 2 on the 4th of July. My family's reaction is less than enthusiastic. :stopglass:

I am procrastinating telling my Dad, because I fear he will also be judgemental instead of supportive. While these reactions are understandable to me, it is still hurtful. :capitulate:

So glad I can come here and feel your love & support no matter what! Thank you again for always reminding me, I am not alone. :bravo:

Peace

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
Welcome to the club, Pony! Grandbabies are the BEST:beautifulthing:

And, who knows - maybe your difficult child will be like mine, and the responsibility of parenthood will keep him on the right track :wink-very:

Genny (aka "Nana")