Jumper will never have a get together at ouro house...I'm angry and hurt

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If she hasn't given you any reason to believe she's involved with drugs or such and she's not hiding anything on her cell or Facebook, I think you need to back off.

If you push too hard, you run the risk of alienating her. And if she's still grieving over the loss of her only serious relationship, she may not turn to you when it's a crucial moment. Tread carefully, mwm. It's a delicate balance, as you know, and I think you may be feeling a bit left out of jumpers life and that's what is prompting these feelings you're having. Hugs, from the heart, not being critical.

Nancy

Hmmm I realize I may not know the background here and so I should probably just butt out. But why would a parent not want to know who the teens are that their child is hanging with? Isn't that normal behavior? Even if that teen has never given you cause to worry why would you not be on heightened alert when you notice they do not want their friends coming to your house? We hear every day from parents who say their child was a easy child until age such-and-such and then they got involved in drugs and turned into a difficult child. I think there is a balance between being over involved in your young teen's life and being a parent who is concious of the temptations in todays world and wants to make sure their child is hanging with good influences. What am I missing?

Also given the fact that obviously MWM's easy child just recently broke up with her boyfriend and is havig a very difficult time, is even more reason to want to stay close to the situation. She is at a vulnerable time and not the time to shut out her biggest support group.

Now I think once you find out that her friends are appropriate then it's time to back off. I know of a lot of parents who just assumed their kid was fine and what they didn't know was quite a different story. I'm not saying that is the case here but why do all the professionals strongly urge parents to keep make sure they know their kids friends if it isn't important?

OK off my soapbox and back to just lurking. I'm sure my experiences have colored my feelings.

Nancy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
MWM has stated that she does trust jumpers friends and that she knows they are a decent crowd of kids.

Mwm's reactions seem to be coming more from her own hurt of feeling left out than out of concern that jumper is in with a bad crowd.

Of course every parent should be watching with both eyes wide open and ears to the walls, etc. However, there also comes a time when as parents, if everything is in order, to back off and allow them to grow and be independent of us.

And due to the recent break up, I would also be on high alert but I would not make my daughter stay home until she agreed to host a party. Not everyone is cut out to play hostess. My easy child, for example loves playing hostess...difficult child? Not at all. Just saying.

InsaneCdn

I haven't had time to read ALL the posts... I read the early ones, then kept this on the 'back burner'...
But there may be an additional factor at play.

At this age, some people are allowed a "free ride" with the group. But among adults, at least in any circle I've been in, that doesn't happen. If you're always a "guest" and never the "host", eventually you stop getting invited.

Not learning how to pull off the 'host' role may hurt Jumper in the long run.

For a minimum, she should be "co-hosting" - even if it is at somebody else's place. For her own good, she has to get past the "free ride" mindset.

JMO... of course.

S

Signorina

Pc18 doesn't like to host. He has 2 super close friends who come here & spend the night -but only these 2 -and they've been best friends since age 4. And he actually likes being at their houses better.

I was DYING to host a x-county team dinner, we have the space, I love to cook; its right up my alley! (I did the FB team dinners for difficult child for 2 years!) PC18 was "no way." He begrudgingly hosted pre-homecoming pictures here but only bc they had nowhere else to go & his girlfriend wanted them here! Same with post prom his jr year, but he refused to do it again his sr year.

Anywho-it's because easy child likes the sanctity of his home. He doesn't want his friends running wild (apparently the X-C team dinners were a mob scene), he likes his home to be his comfort zone. Nothing more, nothing less. He's not ashamed of us or our house, he just likes it to be HIS. He's not one to have casual acquaintances over. I think it's quirky, but it's also just who he is.

PC15 & difficult child had friends coming thru at all times...it's really more of a comfort level/personality thing.

I hope this reassures you a bit.

BusynMember

I'm sticking to my guns. Before my daughter (or any of my other kids) were ever allowed to go over to other's homes, I had to call the parents to talk to them and I wasn't above asking, "There will be no drugs or alcohol and somebody will be home all night?" I had parents who thanked me for calling saying, "Wow. Most parents just drop them off and don't care." In fact, most were very happy to tell me and to complain about the parents who liked them to be babysitters.

There is an element of feeling left out here, BUt I never really pushed it when Jumper was with Joe. Joe is so anti-drug, anti-everything-bad (and this is not an act) that I trusted her completely when she went places with him. He was older and protective and would have brought her home if anything bad had been going on. Now she is on her own, and grieving her boyfriend and in a vulnerable mindset and I don't know any of these kids Joe and Nicole have been hanging around with for the last year. It could be that Joe HAS brought her home when stuff got too heavy. I can't ask him. He's no longer around and since I'm an adult, I'm not sure he'd tell me. I did find out, from one mother herself, that she not only allows her daughter and daughter's boyfriend to sleep together in their home (daughter is on birth control), but that she hands out booze to the kids as long as they stay overnight. Her rationale is, "Id' rather have them drink here than drive."

I hope I didn't look too shocked, and this girl is not Jumper's friend, but they play basketball together. It is common for kids to go for a "team bonding" to somebody's house after a basketball game and I am SURE glad I learned about this kid's home. I wouldn't allow Jumper over there for any reason now. It's illegal to give alcohol to anyone under twenty-one and I don't want any mother deciding that it's ok for Jumper to have a few beers as long as she doesn't drive home. I'm not sure all the mothers whose k ids go over there know what she is doing. She was quite proud of her behavior, by the way.

I really, really, really doubt that Jumper's friends parents do these things, but they are ALL drinkers. And, as a group, they get together to drink and party often. To the very best of my knowledge they would be appalled that this woman is giving alcohol to minors. But I want to make sure that it doesn't happen. Jumper's birthfather is a career drug addict, often in jail, so the gene for alcoholism is likely there and I don't want her pressured to drink. Joe was very anti-drinking (even in some club against drinking) and there was never any hint of alcohol on either of them when they were together. Again, Jumper is in a vulnerable position now. She misses Joe. She doesn't even care about having another boyfriend. She only misses Joe and I know she is very sad about the breakup. She is now only out with her girlfriends, kids that I know casually. Kids whose parents I don't really know more than to say "hi." Some are parents whom I think drink way too much (I have seen no indication that they share with the kids).

Jumper has never been told she can't go somewhere. All she is being told is that I want to meet the parents and get to know her friends. She is talking about throwing a party after volleyball on Monday. That would be a good start. I am going with her tomorrow to buy a volleyball/badmitten set for our back yard. There is no reason on earth why Jumper can't have these get togethers at our house as well as going to other's homes. To be absolutely honest, Joe used to be at our house all the time, and guess who REALLY played host? ME! I could buy a cooler, stash drinks and order pizza and Jumper wouldn't have to do a thing.

I'm sure some of the basketball moms wonder why we haven't had a "team bonding" at OUR house, and this year...we will.

DDD

In the past I have been pleased that you and Jumper do end up sharing your thoughts and communicate pretty freely. I have admired that you acknowledge your own vulnerabilities and use "the family" as a way to seek parenting balance. Now you are in the midst of big changes. You have genuine worries about your son and his family. You are relieved that Jumper's romance is over but conversely you are a little fearful of what her future may bring.

Even though I was older I purposely became part of the parent group for easy child/difficult child. We all attended every game and every practice. We all volunteered at the school together. When they became early teens there was always at least two or three parents in the midst of their parties. The group all were involved in sports, cheer, church etc. The parents were usually social drinkers but not demonstrating poor habits to the kids.

Three of us ended up with difficult child substance abusing kids before high school was over. Probably another four turned to s.a. in college. Even if you are tight as ticks with your teen in my humble opinion there is NO way to "know" what their choices are going to be and if they believe they are loved and trusted....chances are great they will make wise choices. Statistics indicate that "some" are going to go off path. It's hard parenting teens. I have faith in you. DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Ultimately, you know jumper best and are the most qualified on how to proceed with her, comfort her, help her break out and explore areas of life she hasn't experienced and keep her safe. Your immense love for her comes through in ever post; I have no doubt you will know what to do at every turn and she's lucky to have you as her mom.

T

TeDo

I think it's funny how you've gone from
The other moms all know the group of kids, but I don't. . . . . I want to know the kids too and I feel very awful that she will never bring the kids to our house. Are WE so terrible? Is the house THAT awful?
which basically implies that you are feeling very left out since other moms are included and you aren't

to
Joe is so anti-drug, anti-everything-bad (and this is not an act) that I trusted her completely when she went places with him.
I really, really, really doubt that Jumper's friends parents do these things, but they are ALL drinkers. And, as a group, they get together to drink and party often. To the very best of my knowledge they would be appalled that this woman is giving alcohol to minors. But I want to make sure that it doesn't happen. Jumper's birthfather is a career drug addict, often in jail, so the gene for alcoholism is likely there and I don't want her pressured to drink. Joe was very anti-drinking (even in some club against drinking) and there was never any hint of alcohol on either of them when they were together. Again, Jumper is in a vulnerable position now. She misses Joe. She doesn't even care about having another boyfriend. She only misses Joe and I know she is very sad about the breakup. She is now only out with her girlfriends, kids that I know casually. Kids whose parents I don't really know more than to say "hi." Some are parents whom I think drink way too much (I have seen no indication that they share with the kids).
where the focus is now all about knowing the friends to make sure there's no drugs or alcohol involved. It sounds simply like that premise is your guise or excuse to put yourself "in the crowd". I just hope and pray it doesn't backfire on you and I am serious about my concern for you.

BusynMember

There is both. But since the thread started I have learned that it has nothing to do with the house or us.

But I don't usually make myself the center of attention with my kids anyway. I have had lots of kids at my house and I usually leave them alone, just talking when they are around me, but mostly observe and, yes, host.

However, for the first two years of high school, I didn't really care. The first year she was younger and the second year I trusted her (and her friends whomever they were) because I knew Joe would take her home if anything was up. Things have changed. She is vulnerable now. I think it's reasonable to want to know her friends AND their parents. I don't know why you're making such a big deal about it. But thanks for responding anyhow :) If you have any other questions about this issue, you needn't post. Just refer to my answer here. I have had it backfire on me when I *didn't* know the friends (with Julie), but never ever because I did. We just have a difference in philosophy and that's ok.

BusynMember

Today we went out and bought a volleyball/badmitten set and some other kind of game (one I hadn't heard of, but kids like to play it). Hub and Jumper will be putting it up in the back yard later on. It's a nice day and it's cheering Jumper up a bit. She is still so bummed about Joe and they are texting (I don't think that's a good idea, but I can't stop her). She told me they were texting about how much they are crying and how they are doing nothing but sitting home, but they are not getting back together...Joe feels he is no good for anyone and should be alone. Perhaps he is right.

Now, moving on, I hope Jumper gets into the volleyball get together we are supposed to have tomorrow. I will wait and see how aggressive she is about inviting people over. She has a lot of influence with her teammates. If she wants people to come, they will probably come. I guess we'll see.

S

Signorina

Just had a couple of thoughts...I have NO QUALMS about dropping my (non driving) kids off at a friends house and accompanying them to the door and introducing myself to the parents. I have also "brought a sweatshirt" or stopped by "in case they needed a ride home" while I was "in the area"...and once they were driving, I have driven by the place they claimed to be and made sure their car was there...once PC18's car WASN'T there...and I did call and spoke to the mom. Turns out they were on a late night candy run to Walgreens and she verified it...but my heart did stop for a second. <gulp>

I've also copied another mom's strategy - when difficult child (then a easy child)hosted a post homecoming game get together, I had a lovely message from a mom acquaintance on my VM the next day. "Thank you so much for hosting Natalie at your home last night; she said she had a lovely time and it was so nice for you to have the kids over until 2am..."

Of course, Natalie wasn't at my house until 2am. In fact she wasn't there at all. And there was no way in Hades (shout out to Hound Dog) that I would have hosted until 2am. GULP. So, I let Natalie know that she had 12 hours leeway to tell her mom the truth and that I WOULD be returning her mom's call at 9:00 Tuesday morning regardless and I am sure it would go a lot better if Natalie had all ready 'fessed up. Of course, my son tried to spin it that Natalie actually HAD been "AT" out house, just parked on the street with her boyfriend *AHEM*. Nice try LOL

I routinely call other parents and I have often been called by parents when we host. If I don't know the parents, I call and say "thanks so much for inviting easy child tonight, can he bring anything? I made brownies today..." etc. Or I flat out say "Hi, this is easy child''s mom - and I am just doing the "mom thing" because I know he is coming to your house tonight..." Sure, I've embarrassed my kids once in a while - but that's my job! And EVERY parent I have called has been receptive. And frankly, I am more judgmental of the parents that NEVER call. I hosted a coed post prom sleepover and had 2 girls here I had NEVER met. I was so surprised not to hear from their moms. And that evening/morning I had quite a few other moms stop by with an extra pillow, or to pick up the tux or bring donuts...*wink

Kathy813

Staff member
Here's another perspective . . . my easy child rarely had her friends over and mostly hung out at their houses. When I asked her why, she said that our house was boring. We didn't have large screen tv's, we didn't have game systems, and didn't have a finished basement where they could hang out. Her friends' houses had all of those things and some had lake homes with access to boats and jet skis. Our house paled in comparison for teenage fun. difficult child was another concern for easy child. She didn't want difficult child to embarrass her in front of her friends.

It really didn't bother me at all. She never gave my a reason not to trust her and she always let us know where she was and who she was with.

~Kathy

Nancy

Good for you Sig. I did much the same and easy child never minded. Of course I caught difficult child in many lies that way also. When we hosted get togethers here I made it known to the parenst that we would be home the entire time and they would not be allowed to leave. I have had parents call me under the guise of asking a question, just to make sure the get together was actually happening. I applauded those parents. I have also had parents who were non-existant and those were the kids that I had to keep my eye on. I was not above driving past the house where a get together was going on to make sure everything looked ok.

I have a friend who insisted on meeting the parents before she would allow any one of her three daughters to go over to their house. If she didn't know the family from school or church or the community she would call me and ask if I knew them and if it was OK to let her daughters go there. All of her kids were easy child's, all have advanced college degrees, two of them as biomedical engineers. But she needed to know her daughters were safe. There are a lot of crazy things that go on in this world. One needs only look at Jerry Sandusky to see that.

Kathy it works both ways and here's another perspective. easy child was sometimes embarrassed to have friends over because she was afraid they would think she was showing off since we did have a finished basement and fairly new house. Many of her friends lived in the older part of the city and some did not have air conditioning. easy child never flaunted anything and was just as happy to go to their houses as she was to have them at hers. But on more than one occassion she told me she felt embarrassed that she had such a nice house and hoped they didn't hold that agaisnt her. Some did. Like your easy child though she was more embarrassed by difficult child than she was of anything else.

Nancy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I always insisted on meeting friends and their parent if either of my girls was going to be spending any time there at all. Mine never minded-they got it.

flutterby

Fly away!
Nancy, just because I - or others - don't agree with showing up unannounced and hanging around a party doesn't meant I didn't know or care what my kids were doing. If my kids were going somewhere where I didn't know the parents, I called to introduce myself, make sure an adult was going to be there, what was going on, etc. If they were out playing in the neighborhood, they had to let me know before he went anywhere else. They didn't have cellphones so most of the time that meant they had to come home and tell me that the kids were now going to x's house or the field or wherever. It was never an issue with difficult child, but the couple of times that easy child "forgot" to tell me he was going somewhere else (on foot, in the neighborhood) there were serious consequences. When he was older and thought he could fudge curfew by 5 or 10 or 15 minutes, he learned that for every minute he's late he had to be home 30 minutes earlier the next night.

However, making a phone call to verify that there will be supervision, etc, or dropping your kid at the door are vastly different from dropping in unannounced and uninvited - and planning to stay - to someone else's house. It has a huge potential to backfire - if not with Jumper, then with Jumper's friends and parents. Whether MWM cares or not, the parents will talk. There was one mom in easy child's group of friends that we all tried to avoid because of this kind of stuff. Do you think she really knew more about what was going on when we all wanted to avoid her? Especially when there is no concern and a police friend of MWM already said he knew the kids and that they "never" get into trouble. If I had suspicions that nefarious activity was going on, I'd sure as hell drop by unannounced. There don't seem to be any suspicions here.

Just because I think this one thing is a bad idea does not make me or anyone who feels similar a bad or absent or uninformed parent.

flutterby

Fly away!
And that kid whose mom I mentioned? All of these kids had been friend since at least middle school (5th/6th grade) - some since elementary school. They hung out at that kid's house exactly one time between middle school and graduation - for his 16th birthday.

That's what I was thinking of when I responded.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I waited on this one and thought about it for quite some time. I'm a super strict parent 99.9 percent of the time. I knew where my kids were, who they were with, and what they were doing most of the time. Notice I didn't say all of the time, because that is utterly impossible short of stalking them. If they went to someone's house, I had to have met the parents first and knew who was going to be there.......and yes, I called to make certain they were there (not every time, enough to keep them on their toes).

That said.................. No one else has said it so I'm going to put it out there. If a teen decides to do something say drinking, drugs or sex, nothing short of nailing them into a barrel is going to stop them. You can know every single friend they have and their parents and have a good relationship with all of them. Doesn't matter. If they're dead set on doing something, they'll find a way to make it happen.

That is where trust has to come in.

Now I knew my kids friends. Depending on the friend.........they might hang out at my house for a weekend or not hang here at all. Some, like Heather said, still consider me a 2nd Mom, and I had trouble getting them to go home. I never had any issues with any of the kids my kids hung out with regardless of if they were easy child or difficult child. And I know that Nichole's bff was a major drinker/drug user in HS. I knew it when they were basically inseparable. Didn't make any difference. Just because her bff used/drank.........well, let's just say Nichole never touched alcohol until she was over 18.....actually she was nearly 20.......and she's yet to touch drugs. Many of her friends did both or one or the other, including the honor roll students. If I limited their friends due to drinking/drugging neither girl would've had many friends, if any. easy child did manage to go to a few parties in HS where alcohol was served, she thought she was slipping one over on Mom.......but mom knew, and I knew she wouldn't be getting into a car either and there were parents there. But that ended when she took it too far and got alcohol poisoning and the other kids were too scared to go upstairs and tell the parents. She didn't object either, scared the daylights out of her.

I tried to be realistic when it came to my kids during their teen years, not just strict. They were armed with the cold hard facts concerning drugs and alcohol. They also had a free pass to call me if they got drunk/stoned and couldn't get home, or if they didn't want to do either and couldn't get who they went with to bring them home. I knew their friends better than most of the friends parents knew their own kids. I'd have said something to the parents of those I felt had issues......but they were nearly always the "not my kid, they're on the honor roll, foot ball team yadda yadda" and refused to listen. easy child used her free pass once or twice, both times because her ride got zonked, I knew she had drank both times....but she was not drunk so I never said a word. Nichole used hers but because she wanted to leave as a bunch of drug stoned kids were not her cup of tea.

And I'll say right now I kept an eagle eye on Nichole with her now husband. I knew his parents and they seemed like two very responsible adults, no reason for doubt there. They were home when Nichole went over there. And when she was 15 and got preggers with Aubrey?? They had walked in on the kids having sex in his room several times. Did they have a cow? No. Did they put a stop to it? No. Embarrassed they left the room and closed the door and nothing was said. I never heard a word about it until after that pregnancy test came up positive! And heck yeah I came unglued when I found that out........especially after his mom sat there and bawled while I told them Nichole was pregnant. omg

I"m also concerned that your post started out a "I'm feeling left out of the loop" sort of deal to suddenly you don't know her friends well enough to trust them. I'm going to be blunt. You don't need to trust her friends, they're not your child. Jumper will make her own decisions. Jumper is the only one you need to trust and she's given you no reason whatsoever not to trust her. So like Tedo.......I'm worried you've convinced yourself your real worry is over who's she's hanging with. And I'm a bit worried that this sudden change is going to harm your relationship with her.

I understand your worry and you wanting to protect her. That is reasonable and being a good parent. But just dropping in on other parents........... Um, if someone did that to me I'd probably shut the door in their face. No. Correction. I would shut the door in their face. I don't "do" drop ins. Other parents are going to understand your concern, but you are risking alienating them (at best) because if you randomly show up at their house.....it show them with behavior your lack of trust in them as parents. Know what I mean?? It's also rude. And Jumper is at risk of thinking she's done something that makes you not trust her anymore, and it's going to be embarrassing as all get out to have your Mom "drop in" randomly every time you go visit someone. And she may stop socializing outside the home completely.

Kids tend to rebel when they feel smothered and untrusted (because your expectations of them are set lower, so why not?)

Entertain in your home. That's fine. Check to make sure she's where she should be. That's great. Make sure the parents are home. But the rest is quite frankly, over the top.

Sorry if I've made you mad. Not my intention. Just trying to be honest so you can look at it from another point of view.