Just a Little Frustrated

skeeter

I crochet, my mom knits. We do prayer shawls for folks having chemo at a local hospital (hospital supplies the yarn) and my mom makes hats for the babies (I'm not good with doing "in the round" patterns).

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
WTheck is a V stitch and double crochet?

I learned to crochet when I was in 4th or 5th grade. It was a week thing at the private school I went to, and I remember the horrible orange wool yarn my Mom had. I made potholders, bookmarks, and a few other things.

I got good enough with a single stitch to make a sweater (as I mentioned before), but I have no idea what all the instructions mean. ???

Mom2oddson

Step, Youtube is great for stuff like that. Just look up whatever stitch you want and there is a video showing you how it works. It's how I learned to do the double-point needle knitting. To read the instructions was to read an alien language, to SEE what they were doing made it clear. Of course I had to watch it 2 dozen times to truly get what they were doing.

Hound, I will send the yarn to H&R's. I always buy an extra skein or two when I work a project. I'd rather have too much yarn then have to find the right color when I'm almost done with a project. One of these days, I need to learn how to do granny squares so I can use up scrap yarns.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Step, Mom2odd is right. UTube is pretty awesome for that sort of thing. Hmm I wonder if I could learn to knit on a circular needle that way? Probably not.....I had mother in law ready to rip out her hair when she tried to explain it to me. lol

Odds are you may already know the stitches, at least the basic ones, but just don't know what they're called. The elderly woman who taught me, also taught me the names. But geez I was like 6-7 yrs old the last time I saw her. So for years I just "did" and those names were buried in my memory somewhere. Then when wanting to do something other than an afgan for easy child when I was pregnant.....I bought my first pattern. I was so excited. Then I got home and opened it up and did a rather loud WTH? At first I thought it was written in another language. Then I found where they had what the abbreviations meant. Not that it helped me much as those names for stitches had been lost in my brain some 10 or more years. Not wanting to waste the money or admit defeat before I got out of the starting gate.....I started trying to figure it out. As I did, the names of the basic stitches came back to me. That helped, but still had to figure out lots of other things too. I did more cussing like a sailor, throwing the project across the room, ripping it out and starting over (although that is why I love crochet) and "quiting" than I did crocheting. omg I'd have given my left arm for UTube back then.

I finally managed to make a baby cape that looked the way it was supposed to and a sweater / bonnet combo that came close (I just couldn't get the fancier stitch down) except the sweater fit a 12 month old instead of a newborn because back then I didn't know how yarn type and needle size affected guage or rather the end size of the project. I was supposed to be using baby 3 ply yarn.....I'd used 4ply worsted weight. lol When I showed the pattern to mother in law after easy child was born she said she wasn't surprised I'd had issues. Seems I'd picked a rather complicated pattern to start with. Leave it to me to ALWAYS do it the hard way first. omg

Here is the very first pattern I did. I actually found it not long ago and did a major happy dance all over the house. I can be a sentimental slob on occasion. But I'm going to make that cape for Oliver as I LOVED it with easy child and used it with the other two. Better than taking a blanket when you take the baby out as it never slides off the head. And I may make him the sweater set too. I think this time it shouldn't take me 9 months to complete it. lol

http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/snoflacap.html