Just finished saying good-bye to my Mason

Mom2oddson

:sad::missyou:
We knew this day would come. Mason was 14 in December and that is VERY old for a Husky. And he has been losing weight no matter how much we fed him. So we knew we were getting close. We were hoping that Mason would hold on until easy child got home on March 3rd. ...didn't happen.

Mason was acting a little strange when I got home. I didn't think much of it. Then I heard him cry out in pain and ran to see him. He couldn't stand, he was having trouble breathing so I called the vet to the house. While she was on her way, he seemed to rally and I was worried that maybe I was making a mistake. Then Mason had a seizure. It was bad! The girls (Annie & Daisy - the other dogs) were there all worried about him along with me. After the seizure he cried out again, so I knew I was doing the right thing.

It was peaceful. It was just me, the vet and the girls there. My Mom & Dad got there just as Mason left us. They paid for the vet, they wouldn't let me.

Right now, they are having the remains boxed up and we will bury him in the family pet cemetery tomorrow.

husband couldn't be reached on his job, so he won't know until he is able to call me later tonight.

The hardest part though will be telling easy child. It's his dog. And he has worried about this day since he was 10 years old and saw the movie My Dog Skip, about a boy and his dog and how the dog died when the boy went to college. We did talk about this at Christmas and easy child said that he wants me to wait until the weekend before I tell him because he knows he will not be able to handle classes if I told him on a class day.

So, it is just me and the girls sitting here tonight. I think they are grieving too. I've never seen them sit so quiet for so long. Or else they know I'm in pain and are just being with me.

Thanks for letting me share. Guess I'm going to have to change my signature...

nvts

I'm so sorry...sometimes the dogs are the best family members when things are tough. Just know that he's running pain free in heaven and watching over all of you.

Beth

TerryJ2

Awww, I'm so sorry.I've had to do that too many times. They ALWAYS rally at the end. Humans do, quite often, too. It's weird and it really throws you for a loop.Many hugs.

Marguerite

I'm so sorry. It is so difficult when you lose a pet and so often, other people don't understand the depth of grief. They think, "It's only a pet." I grieved for years for some of our pets.

Marg

Jena

im so sorry. yet i'm so glad you were there with-him that way. i hope easy child is ok. it's hard losing an animal they become part of the family.

((Hugs))

DDD

Adding my heartfelt sympathies. Like others who have been there done that the grieving process was lengthly. Hugs. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Oh Honey -

I'm just sitting here in tears for your breaking heart. I wish at times like this; there were something wonderful or really meaningful that a friend could say, or someway that someone could hold you for just a little bit until the hurting stopped. I'd like to think that every tear we shed for our furkids on this side for their pain and missing them? Is an extra hug and love on the other side. That being so? I know Mason is doubly blessed because he had an excellent Mom.

My deepest sympathies honey -
Hugs and Love
Star

tiredmommy

I want to share this poem with you, it's brought me great comfort over the years with my family's many losses:

Gone From My Sight
by Henry Van Dyke

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone"

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.
And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

And that is dying...

Mom2oddson

Thank you for all the kind support. It really does help. It's been a tough day. If I ever own my own company - there will be a day or two of bereavement leave for Furkids!! At least I work with a small group of people and we've known each other forever - so me, crying at the drop of a hat, is understood.

husband and my Dad are digging the grave right now. He will be laid to rest with our other family members. And he will be well cared for. My Mom has beautiful grave markers set for each animal. She has wreaths for each season and everything. It will be nice.

Star*

call 911........call 911
TM - that was a beautiful sentiment. :sad:

Pet bereavement should be a national law. I'd gladly give you2 of my vacation days off Mom2odd- cause I know just how you feel.....

I'm sorry about Mason. He sounds like a wonderful dog. I'm glad you have the comfort of caring for your pets' graves. I've never had the opportunity to bury a pet, on our property, but I do now, and when the time comes I will place stones one on top of the other, like a cairn, and it will comfort me to care for their resting places.

Hugs

Jo

katya02

Solace
I'm so sorry for your loss. It takes time to grieve the loss of a friend who has been with you so many years.
Sending hugs and deepest sympathy.