Just for the heck of it.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Not really. I'm stuck in this state because of the tweedles & their need for the services they receive here. Otherwise I'd be outta here & moved closer to family.

Having said that, I'm taking around $25,000 of husband's life insurance & updating my home so I can function here. I'm ripping out the claw foot bathtubs in both bathrooms & installing showers. The downstairs bathroom will have an ADA toilet; the toilet from downstairs (less than a year old) will be moved upstairs. I'm installing pedestal sinks in both bathrooms.

I need a new roof - that's just plain maintenance.

AND I'm remodeling the 3 season back porch into a heated mud/laundry room. I cannot get up & down the basement stairs safely & laundry is just not being done by kt on a regular basis. (She does her best with help of PCAs) It will seem like a luxury to have the laundry on the first floor. It will be a luxury to have a mud room extended from my kitchen. And I will still have the front 3 season porch (which is the one used the most).

I'm working with a financial planner (one of husband's survivor benefits) & she's helping me work out the numbers & researching reliable contractors & the like. The upside is that I haven't sold my home out from under me by constant refi's & borrowing against the equity. Given that when I go to sell my home (when the market picks up) I will not lose anything on it. I bought my home at a reasonable price & didn't eat up any equity. Thank god for my accounting background.

And thank goodness that husband had the good sense to take care of us even after he died. His life insurance isn't a huge amount given that it must last quite a few years. However, it's given me a life line with a bit of wiggle room.

K

Kjs

Sounds like a plan. We just redid our bathroom floor, walls, new toilet. I love the toilet. It is 17" without the seat. I would of gone even higher if husband and difficult child weren't shorter than me.

I like the idea of a first floor laundry too. Don't take on too much at once. Take some time to relax and take care of you.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ummm...can you send your bathroom person to my house? I'm 7 months into this project.

Glad you have a plan. It might be nice to have some sort of new start.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds like a good solid plan to me. My laundry room is off the kitchen and I love it. Some day I'll add a bathroom to the upstairs and the house will be perfect. lol

Just be careful not to take on too much too fast.

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
Sorry you can't move to where you want to live. I am very glad you can remodel the home so it works for you with your illness.

Have you looked at the walk-in bathtubs? You might ask about those for one bath. It can very helpful to have a tub if you need to soak for muscle pain, and these are special tubs with seats that are designed with a door so you can literally walk in to them. Some even have jacuzzi settings.

Or you might consider a cheap hot tub. That can be an awesome investment if you have pain issues. My doctor strongly recommends them, and I wish we could afford one. It is not to the point that my insurance will pay for part of it, but your insurance might.

Be sure to check to see if the insurance will help pay for some of the remodel (health insurance). Also check to see if there are rebates on items from the government for energy efficiency.

Take it easy, don't do too much at once. I am glad you have help.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Marcie...you truly have been raised in a warm area. A mud room is like an indoor porch where you take off the thousands of layers of outdoor clothing so you don't track it into the house. Boots, coats, gloves...whatever. It's not particularly attractive but useful to keep the rest of the house somewhat clean.

It was also an area when I grew up that the stray dogs and cats slept.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
In our home - the Mud room was where you "slung it" so that your parents didn't hear you and you got in trouble.

Sounds like you have a plan Linda - :)happy:)

When you do have your showers done - since I used to do brick and tile AND since husband is disabled - ask for or check out a shower pan with a bump and not a step over.

SHOULD you sell the home to someone inthe future that is disabled - a BUMP is a lot more conducive to wheel chairs. AND no raising feet over a small 8" block....

Only draw back? No more shower doors - only curtains.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Obviously whomever designed homes with the laundry in the basement, didn't DO THE LAUNDRY!..... When we had our last home built I said I wanted the laundry on the second floor where the bedrooms are and where the laundry goes....... have never regretted that decision, but haven't had to replace the washer and dryer yet either..... I'm thinking they will charge me extra for taking anything up/down the stairs......

What a smart woman you are to have the work done now, people need work and you will get to enjoy the new remodel...... Just don't rip up all bathrooms at the same time! Nothing more inconvenient than having to go down to the nearest gas station for bathroom needs.......