Just found out my difficult child is Hepatitis C positive :(

amys3yungins

My difficult child showed me his test results showing positive for Hep C today. He is 22. He is currently in a rehab facility which he decided to go to himself about 6 weeks ago. In that regard he is doing well but I HATE that he now is facing this. Anybody out there that has a difficult child with this diagnosis? If so, how is their health because of it?

Thanks,
amys3yungins

Nancy

Oh Amy I'm so sorry to hear this. Us moms especially fear so much with our kids when they get into drugs and as you are now having it face, it's not just the addiction but the physical damage they do to themselves. I know nothing about Hep C so I am not much help but my thoughts are with you and I hope the prognosis is good. I would be reading everything I could online about it which I'm sure you are.

Kathy813

Staff member
I don't know anything about Hep C but I wanted you to know that I read your post and am thinking of you and keeping good thoughts that it can be treated successfully.

~Kathy

grmac

Hello Amys3. So sorry to hear about your son. I don't have a difficult child with Hep C but my hubby just went through a 6 month treatment regiment (not for drugs or alcohol) and he is now Hep C free! It is a long grueling treatment but it does work, at least for my husband. He did have to go on disability after awhile because the treatment is kind of like going through chemo. He had no energy, could hardly eat, and the "brain fog" was bad. May I suggest something I used to get through all this? A forum, similar to this one, where there are people going through treatment, loved ones of those going through treatment, and a great source of info about Hep C. Here is the link forums.delphiforums.com/hepatitiscen/start In case the link doesn't work, just google Hepatitis Central and that should get you to the forum. It was a life saver for me. Wishing you and your son good luck on your journey!

comatheart

I'm so sorry. The good news... Treatment options for Hep C are much better than they were 10yrs ago!!! My dad (former heroin addict) died as a result of the effects of Hep C. I hope your difficult child responds to treatment well and can move on with life. ((((Huge hugs))))))

S

Signorina

I know how scary it is when someone you love is ill. I am so sorry you are going through this but please be assured it is very treatable. Also, I understand that a positive Hep C blood test "just" means that the antibodies are present and does not mean he has or will develop the disease; hopefully that is the case here.

(FWIW - I was really concerned that I had Hepatitis C after a routine blood test showed I had very high levels of ALT (liver enzyme)plus elevated AST as well. My doctor did not perform a hepatitis testing and my levels returned to normal at the 3 month follow up. I had been taking Keflex for a persistent sinus infection and the drug caused the elevated levels. )

diana71

I have a friend with Hep C and has led a normal life for many years with it. But I can only imagine how scared you must be. Has he gotten tested for HIV as well? The earlier you catch these things the better off you are. I am so sorry you are having to face this. You will be in my prayers *hugs*

amys3yungins

Thanks! Well, I don't know if he tested for HIV. I'll see him tonight when I go to visit him at his recovery center. I'll ask about the HIV testing. He has a doctor appointment in 2 weeks to do more blood work at that time.
amys3yungins

rita

inerfuron treatments are much more successful than they used to be. It will depend on his genotype and viral load. There are many good information packages out there. Your local health unit will have various packages available

amys3yungins

:hapydancsmil: difficult child's blood work came back this week for more definitive testing on Hep C and it is NEGATIVE!!!! PRAISE GOD!!
I am so so very thankful to The Lord for answered prayer today!!

Kathy813

Staff member
That is wonderful news! It is always nice to see a post about something good in the SA forum.

~Kathy