Just found this site and I already feel better!

imamess

I am a mother of a 6 year old boy with ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and ODD. I have felt like the only person in the world with a child like this and feel like i'm losing my mind! I have been to so many doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, etc and although they mean well with the suggestions they give to deal with this type of child....THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS HAPPENING AT HOME!!! I live in a small to moderate size city and finding classes/support groups for these types of disorders is slim to none. I am very glad to see that there is a site to come to. If anyone has ANY advice at all for me I would gladly accept it.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>Welcome to the site. You are not alone!!!! There are many families going thru the same thing. There are also many who can offer help and hope....glad you found us.</span>

Wiped Out

Staff member
Welcome,
So glad you found us! One book many of us have found helpful is The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. You are so not alone-you will find much support here-this place is a lifesaver!

smallworld

Welcome! I'm glad you found us. You will find lots of support here.

Is your son on any medications? Is so, what? Are they making things better or worse?

jodyice

Welcome to the board. Sorry you had to find us, but glad you did. There are many that we see in our day to day lives that have no idea what we go through on a constant basis, it's definitely nice to know that we're not alone.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Hi - welcome to our little corner of the cyber world. Most parents here know the ODD symptoms that will drive you completely up a wall.

We'll do our best to help you with any questions - you'll definitely find support here.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Sorry you had to find us but welcome! You will find a world of knowledge and support here. My son is ADHD, BiPolar and ODD. We got him as a foster child when he was 9 and adopted him when he was 10. We have tried just about every technique out there. Some were a disaster, some were ok. We eventually took parts from one, bits from another and used what worked.

As for the lack of resources, there are a few Hoosiers on the board. If you don't mind me asking, what part of the state are you in? You can private message me......maybe we Hoosiers can put our heads together and help find you some contacts in your area. If you would rather not say, that's ok. Either way, know you are not alone.

Welcome again!

neednewtechnique

Welcome, as everyone else has said, sorry you had to find us, but very glad you are here! Our difficult child is 12, diagnosis with ODD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), ADHD, and PTSD, so I am pretty close to knowing what you are going through. Our difficult child only came to live with us earlier this year, though, so I am not TOO familiar with a child your son's age with these diagnosis's, but I know what you have to look forward to...and let me tell you, I will keep you in my prayers and good luck! I live in Illinois, but I am right on the Indiana line, and I actually work in the Terre Haute area, so I am familiar with some of the resources in that area, if you are anywhere near there. Hope everything works out for you...and if you need anything, WE ARE HERE FOR YOU!!!

imamess

Thank you to all of you for welcoming me to the site. I am not on here very often due to a busy schedule, but it is comforting to know that I have other parents to talk to. As sad as it is to say, I am glad i'm not the only one going through this. You would think after 3 years i'd be used to it, but I definately am not. It seems that there is no one who completely understands. I get, "you just need to discipline him" or "he's just a boy". YEAH RIGHT PEOPLE! I'd love for them to take him home for a few days....they wouldn't last! haa! Anyways, thanks again to all of you for your support!

busywend

Welcome!

Oh yeah, I got the 'too strict', 'not strict enough', 'too nice', 'too mean', etc....from everyone around me. I still do. I still get people implying that I have no discipline in my home. It is simply not true. I do not parent like I thought I would. I am less likely to pick on every comment, eye roll, and smart aleck response than I would like. But, it keeps some peace in my home, which I think is equally (sometimes more so) as important as teaching my difficult child how to be respectful.

I learned to ignore people around me. If they have not lived with my difficult child, then they have no say in anything.

sweepymom

Welcome to the site. I felt like the only one in the world that feels the way I do until I found the site. I have 4 and when 8 acts up they all do.I hope you get all the support you need on this site. All I do is take it one day at a time and remember that there is someone out there that cares.