Just picked up the Disability Report: Other Health Impairment form

Chaosuncontained

Ran by the doctors office and picked it up to give to the school--so that they can give to the Diagnostician for Special Education (the county run Special Education office). Doctor listed him as having ADHD (not Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)!? or depression--).

He also marked 'The student has limited alertness' as "yes" and then wrote "Problem focusing and concentrating. Increased impulsiveness. medications help these". He marked "no" on 'the student has limited strength' and 'the student has limited vitality'.

At the bottom of the form it notes *This disability report must be reviewed by the ARD committee to determine if the disability creates a need for special education (ie specially designed instruction) and related services.*

So, now I wait and see what they decide. So glad he has an appointment with an independant Psychologist for evaluations, that will be done on November 29th!!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I don't know what state you are in, but in CA just having ADHD will not qualify you for Special Education. But he did qualify under OHI -emotional imparement which qualified him.

Marcie

Chaosuncontained

My daughter, who was diagnosed with ADD, got a 504, but NOT an IEP with that diagnosis.

That is why, I think, I am so concerned. It's NOT just ADHD--he won't finish his work. He says he "CAN'T" write. He's failing several classes. He sometimes hides under his desk when he feels threatened. Chews on his shirt. Is very aggressive (choking, hitting, kicking, even bit two students this year already). Socially inappropriate--hugging, rubbing backs, kissing on the cheek as well as calling people "morons", "idiots" "butt head"...and more. He has "ran" from the building twice. Once into a parking lot, the other time onto the playground. Something else is going on... Sigh. I can only hope that Carson's evaluation with the Psychologist turns up something.

And isn't that sad? I WANT them to find something. So I have a "reason" he acts the way he does. And I want him to have an IEP so that we can a) have things put in place to HELP him and b) it will be so regulated that they can't NOT do it ==they sure aren't following the 504 plan.

I feel sick.

L

Liahona

It might be sad, but its also completely normal to feel that way. Its validation. And if they don't see the problem correctly then they can't help fix it. They become part of the problem.

buddy

Sad, but normal. It is much harder to not know. I am sorry your pediatrician. is so...ummm, can't think of a nice word.

But it is not just his label you are going by...you said they did testing too. So just wait until you find out what their testing shows. We can panic then. I hope psychologist can help too.

Chaosuncontained

This is all so depressing. Like, three glasses of merlot and counting, depressing. Took us an hour and a half to do 16 problems (homework) tonight. Resulted in him breaking another pencil, yelling at me and me crying. But I'm feeling better now...lol

buddy

yes, well mommy medicine (LOL) can do that for you...haha

the few times we have done homework, just a nighmare. I feel for you. Luckily he gets most homework done at school.