Just saying hello

S

Sharon74

I have read posts on this site for quite a while but decided I would join tonight. It is always nice to see that other people deal with the same things I deal with. Talking to friends and relatives is not always helpful as they have no idea.

My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6. Next came Sensory Integration Disorder, then ODD. He currently has diagosis of Asperger's Syndrome and Mild Depressive Disorder. We have been through a Hospitalization and a Partial Hospitalization Program. We currently use a psychiatrist, therapist, BSC, and TSS.

Mattsmom277

Nice to meet you! This is a pretty supportive place full of so many dedicated parents who are just trying to find the right approach to help their kids. You've joined a great environment (as my 9 years of membership attests to lol). Welcome :)

S

Sharon74

Thanks for welcoming me. Everyone does seem to be very supportive here. I hope I can be of some assistance to others at some point.

DS is doing much better now than he was even just three years ago. However, he has been getting some pretty intensive help for the last two and a half years. He has some good days and some bad days, but all in all I enjoy him more and more the older he gets. (Now I wish I the opposite wasn't true for my daughter.)

DS has some bad days when he is horrible. He has temper tantrums and has to be restrained so that he does not hurt himself. I have tried just letting him go, but the results are never good. He can't seem to calm himself down and needs me to help him with that. If I catch it quick enough and direct him to a calming activity or to his weighted blanket he can usually handle it himself but he is not recognizing the need to do this on his own yet. The medications have helped a bit (a lot) in this department.