Just struck me funny ... invaded by CLOWNS!

donna723

I've mentioned this before, but I live in a tiny little town - hasn't changed much in years. I live a half-block from our old fashioned courthouse that looks just like the one in "To Kill A Mockingbird". It's surrounded by the Town Square, complete with park benches, the whole works. And on the other side, across from the court house, is a very nice grocery store.

So ... for the first time in years, we have a Shrine Circus in town this weekend and the whole town has been invaded by clowns! I LOVE the Shriners, bless'em! They do WONDERFUL work! And several dozen clowns are out in full regalia, all around the courthouse, giving rides to kids in their souped up dune buggies! They honk and wave at me every time I'm outside walking one of my dogs in the yard!

I went to the grocery store right around lunch time ... just in time to see about a dozen clowns clustered around the deli counter, ordering their sandwiches and fried chicken plate lunches! Darn! I never seem to have the camera handy when I need it! Maybe it was just me, but it just cracked me up! It was such a surreal sight - the grocery store deli counter that I see almost every day surrounded by guys in baggy pants, with huge yellow wigs, white faces and big red noses! The kids in the store were transfixed with joy, but the adults were all trying to be so cool, rolling their carts past them, trying not to look at them, like it was an everyday occurance to have a deli full of clowns!

But what really made me giggle was to think about what someone would think who was just passing through town ... someone who had no idea what was going on, and just happened to see that nice, big grocery store and decided to stop in and buy a few things ... and they get in line at the deli behind a dozen clowns ... and everybody else is walking right past them like they're invisible! What vivid memories they would have of our little town! Then again, maybe it's just me - I've been in a silly mood lately!

:smile: :rofl: :smile:

easy child 2 is deathly afraid of clowns. Always has been. He'd run into a burning building, but if he wandered into that grocery store he'd pass out from fright.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Hmm, I would be indoors with the shade pulled until the circus left town - am so not comfortable even looking at a clown picture - they freak me out :frown:

Marcie

tinamarie1

hehe donna...i totally see the humor in that! I was imagining I was passing through town and came into the store for a few things. I don't know why but the thought came to mind that there is a rubber nose factory and clowns work there. silly silly!

donna723

Tinamarie - I know! The whole time I was watching this, I kept flashing back to some of the "Far Side" cartoons I have seen! And I had all these potential punch lines running through my head!

My son would have loved it!

Lothlorien

Sounds cute! Must be cute, seeing all the clowns all over town. I always loved clowns. Missy has a porceline one in her room.

What would be REALLY funny is if the fire alarm went off...and the clowns came out to fight the fire like they did in Dumbo...

One time I was working at a convenience store on Halloween. Some guy in a clown outfit came to my counter with beer. Since I had no idea how old he was (white face & all), I carded him. The guy was 56. He leaned over the counter & kissed me. He had not been carded in 30 years.

susiestar

Roll With It
Shriners are awesome!! My grandparents were shriners, they loved it! My abso fave Halloween Costume was my gma's shriners' harem girl outfit.

It fit my bffDeb the first year, WAY to big for me. But we used it for dress up, and Halloween for about 4 years!

I owuld love to see the clowns. My nephew on husband's side always said he wanted to go to Clown College. There really is such a thing, and until he was about a sophomore, this was his goal.

So where did my nephew go to school: The Police Academy!!!!

(Not so terribly different from clown college, LOL)

Enjoy your circus!!

Susie

ps. Does everyone know that Ringling Bros will give every child a free ticket to the circus when they are 1?

Just thought it was interesting for those gramma's and gramma's to be!

Susie