just when I thought the stress was over for awhile

catwoman

easy child daughter called me the other night and said her dog had just been bitten by a skunk in their yard. I told her to absolutely not let the dog in the house and call animal control. The animal control guy who showed up was apparently a complete idiot because he told them that skunks never get rabies and had them bring the dog in the house so he could examine her. He told them the skunk seemed fine, was probably just looking for food, so she thought everything was ok. Well, he took the skunk to have it tested and of course it was positive for rabies. The dog has had her shots but if they touched any area on her where the skunk's saliva was, there's a risk. Now the entire family needs rabies shots and my daughter is 4 months pregnant.

KFld

OMG!!!! Can you say lawsuit??????

How awful for all of them. I heard those rabies shots are extremeley painful and on top of her being pregnant.

Sounds like someone needs to lose their job!!!!!!!!!!!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
How can an animal control person, of ALL people, NOT know skunks get rabies? Good grief. He should lose his job. Hope your daughter's family gets through this ok..

You have GOT to be kidding!!

An animal control guy has ONE job. ANIMALS! It's not like she asked him a question about the stock market and he gave her a bad tip.

I hope everything goes smoothly (esp. for your daughter) and that she sues his pants off.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE

That's just awful. How incredibly stupid! :hammer:

Please keep us posted.

Suz

meowbunny

Does that mean bats don't have rabies, either? Good grief!!! How does someone who works with animals not know how high-risk skunks are? Hope the animal control idiot has to get the rabies shots, too! He did examine the dog, so it is only fair.

Rabies shots are painful. I hope they are safe for your daughter. Best wishes to all (except AC idiot).

ScentofCedar

That is so awful.

Your daughter has done the responsible thing in having had her own animal vaccinated, and in calling animal control when the skunk appeared.

I would never have thought of infected saliva on my dog's coat, either.

This is a good thing for the others of us to know, though.

Thanks so much for posting this one.

Barbara

donna723

OMG, what an idiot! Do they not train these people at all? Just the fact that the skunk went after the dog is a HUGE indicator that something wasn't right with it! Not normal behavior for a skunk at all! I hope too that your daughter sues them for everything they've got!

I will keep your daughter and her family in my prayers. I've heard that the rabies shots are done differently now and aren't as bad as they used to be. I hope so. And thank God that their dog was vaccinated!