Just When You Thought YOUR Issues Were Bad

Janna

oh, you were wrong, because we have it so much worse than you (that's sarcasm).

Because, you know what happened with Dylan in school today? He lost 2 points for NOT brushing his teeth. Even wrote on his point sheet, "poor hygiene", ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I let them HAVE it. Didn't fly with me.

LMAO!

He's not in a real school. I just had to chuckle, this isn't a rant, but just something so incredibly stupid to even write home about that I thought you'd all share in the amusement with me on. I mean, lets not worry about grades. Academics. Behavior. Even though the boy brushed his teeth an hour ago, we're gonna make him do it again and then strike him when he doesn't want to.

It's not a real school. LOL! It's a partial. That means he goes and they **** around 1/2 the day trying to get him to do academics, and the other 1/2 is "therapy", i.e. taking hikes, playing games, doing fun stuff! Why learn?

Haha - gosh - petty, petty, petty, simple minded ignorance.

Jena

hi

Interesting, do they "check" their teeth in the a.m.??? Poor hygiene i'm wondering is that supposed to boost their level of self confidence??

ugh. sorry maybe i'm taking this the wrong way, but what's up with that?? Is he listening, is he "doing" work whatever work? Than take your toothbrush and ........... "beep" :)

my umm 3 cents!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wow. The actually dinged him for that?

Why stop there? Do they check to see if he flosses, too? Do they check his fingernails for dirt? Length? What about his hiney? Do they make sure he wipes sufficiently? How about his ears? Are they clean enough or, as my mom used to say, do they have enough dirt in them to grow potatoes?

Geez LOUISE...

Marguerite

Back when I was in primary school (I was in this school from K-2, but it went to grade 6) we all had to line up each morning and show our fingernails. They had to be clean, our hands had to be clean, our shoes had to be polished. Our uniforms had to be in good order, our hair (if long) tied back with school hair ribbons to match the school uniform. F+Duringthe day at school we had to wear a special school uniform pinafore (pilly) over the uniform. The pinny had to stay at school but we had to take it home on Friday (or if deemed soiled, earlier in the week) and always have a clean spare at school. Anyone not considered clean or tidy, lost house points or worse, got a note sent home. Or detention.

In high school, we had to wear hats and gloves to and from school. In summer we wore a straw hat, in winter it was a felt hat. If we weren't wearing hats and gloves, or if our regulation short blue socks were not folded down, we got into trouble (usually detention).

When difficult child 1 was in high school and just after he broke up with his first girlfriend, he was a shocker when it came to personal hygeine. I got notes home as well as phone calls home, saying that he needed to look after his apperance better.

It can get ridiculous.

Marg

LittleDudesMom

OK, now I'm going to offer another opinion here. Perhpas what the goal of this kind of thing is to teach the kids life skills. The remainer of that 1/2 day with the hikes and games could be physical exercise (goodness knows that many of the medications our difficult children are own cause weight gain AND exercise is great for depression) and teaching the kids the benefit of getting out and moving so it becomes part of their life and the games could be socially based - teaching kids to take turns, to pick sides, to share, to loose and win gracefully, etc. Who knows.....

I think the teeth brushing issues is interesting because so many members on this board over the years have complained and bemoned how unaware their difficult children were with hygeine. Perhaps this is a way to teach these kids important it is to take care of their bodies.

Just another perspective - kinda like a half life skills program and half academic program.

Sharon

SRL

I had the same thought and wondered if life skills were part of the curriculum, Janna? Just last week my easy child had a baby tooth extracted because it had a cavity in it and the decay threatened the permanent tooth beside it. Getting her to brush has been a daily battle but you should see the increased compliance since she now has in her possession a tooth with a hole that is blackened with decay.

Janna

Yeah, Sharon, it's not really a lifeskills classroom/program, but I understand what you're saying. They do have issues with hygiene with alot of the other children. They have a 17 year old that is sent home all the time cuz he smells so bad they can't take it.

The part I find amusing is that they are picking this out on a kid that doesn't have this issue. You know, I have to go have an IEP meeting to specifically state he doesn't have to brush his teeth because....? Because, as we all know, an IEP is INDIVIDUALIZED - so, just because every other kid has to do it, doesn't mean D should! Oh yeah, I'm going there lol. Everyone else does.

It's stupid, to me, because it's another stupid thing to trigger another stupid issue that doesn't ever need to happen.

So, of course, this morning D says "I don't need to brush my teeth before school when I do it there". LOL!

Well, gee, I guess I don't have to cook your breakfast seeing as how there are 3 restaurants on your way to school. Have a good one, Dylan!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm really sorry - for the PARENT that WORRIED about loosing 2 points to a baby for hygiene.....OMG THEY need some classes about how to enjoy life.

EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeesch.

Whats next? He has one toe shorter than the others? :surprise:

TerryJ2

Gosh, I wish they'd get a hold of my son. You can smell his breath all the way to Alaska.

Anyway, sorry, Janna. Yeah, that's life. :) I guess they're trying to make him accountable, and instill good habits.

M

ML

Oh boy! Hopefully there is a method to the madness. I'm glad manster's school doesn't take points off for that.