Kanga still wants what she wants

JJJ

Kanga was her grand old self the last few days. She is adament that the reason she is still in treatment is NOT that she refuses to meet her goals but that we refuse to change the goals to match what she has chosen to do.

One point made by therapist in the family session was that Kanga could easily end up in jail, that she has been "protected" from that consequence by being in Residential Treatment Center (RTC). She refused to believe that the police would care about her behaviors cause she "only does what I want to do".

Part of me feels sorry for her, most of me just hopes she doesn't hurt anyone else on her way down.

T

TeDo

Isn't it terrible when a kid thinks that life SHOULD revolve around what they want and not that they need to do what is expected? It's so hard to watch. {{{HUGS}}}

JJJ

What is so sad/frustrating is that Eeyore is probably as delusional as Kanga but his choices have allowed him a much better life. Eeyore was violent but chose to do the work to gain control of himself; Eeyore believes that the world should revolve around him but has accepted that it does not; Eeyore does not understand why certain social norms exist but does his best to comply anyway.

While the mental illness is a major factor, so is who she has chosen to be.

T

TeDo

Glad Eeyore is at least seeing some of the "real" world. Gives you SOME hope at least.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
One point made by therapist in the family session was that Kanga could easily end up in jail, that she has been "protected" from that consequence by being in Residential Treatment Center (RTC). She refused to believe that the police would care about her behaviors cause she "only does what I want to do".

And that is the catch-22 of parenting - isn't it?

We WANT to protect our children and give them all the advantages and help we can posibly offer....and we still have to watch them behave as though they were H*ll-bent on going down in flames anyway...

So sorry, JJJ -

(((Hugs))) for you.