Kanga's on run

JJJ

They tried to subtly hang out for a while but she never stuck her head out the door. I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow. Tonight is night #2 away from her Residential Treatment Center (RTC) bed; at night #14, she loses her place, I know they are going to try everything to get her back there before that admin nightmare.

DammitJanet

Well running away is actually considered a crime and could be charged as incorrigibility I suppose if she loses that spot so if worse comes to worse they could stick her in juvie.

buddy

Is it? From some of the members here, and one new one, sounds like depends on the state and age. What are the rules where she is JJJ? Sorry newbie I am forgetting your name, but the one who said her difficult child can refuse medical treatment at age 12 and at 16 can leave the house. I am amazed when I hear these things.

slsh

member since 1999
JJJ - Glad they have a lead. I figured/hoped/dreaded she'd found someone to take her in. I'm with- you on the BC.

Hope she/they stay put.

Yeah - don't even want to consider what an admin nightmare it could turn into - holding on to good thoughts for a positive outcome.

Buddy - Here in IL the age of consent for psychiatric tx is 12. One of the goofier laws on the books. Written with- good intent, but in practice just makes parenting a teen difficult child who needs treatment that much more challenging.

JJJ

I'm chatting with her ex-boyfriend (the one she ran with in Sept; he made tons of progress and is now home). Kanga's been calling him on and off since she ran. He thinks he has her convinced to return to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) this morning. But he is nervous because he's trying to talk her back long distance and he knows she might just be telling him what he wants to hear. He hasn't slept all night because he knows what kind of trouble she could be getting into and he doesn't want to miss a call from her. He did say that she was with a guy last night but that she moved tonight to some families house.

JJJ

Kanga wanted to get to his house (about 4 hours from the Residential Treatment Center (RTC)) but he refused and said he wasn't interfering in her treatment and she needed to go back.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:hugs:

What a mess... I wish I had a magic wand. I hope she does go back today... Clearly ex-boyfriend has made a LOT of progress!

JJJ

Basically, he said he'd love to still be her boyfriend but he won't until she complete her treatment because she needs to focus on her and not on relationships. At least I know Residential Treatment Center (RTC) does work for kids who want it to work!

Mattsmom277

Ugh. I'm so sorry. I have been a bit self absorbed past days and haven't seen the updates but had hoped she would be back by now.

On one hand it's good the ex boyfriend hears from her. And that he says she sounds fine (safe as in not sleeping outdoors). On the other hand, not so good that she ran but also that she hasn't stayed gone this long before.

Have the staff mentioned anything about management of supervision upon her return? By that I don't mean it is necessarily possible or even their job, to have in place a heightened supervision policy. Some facilities are a lock in type while others have a style more in keeping with trying to avoid runners while also having less monitoring as to allow residents to learn to stay put by choice as a learning too for responsibility etc. but she is obviously growing more comfortable about finding a way to run and stay on the run longer. I would hope the staff can either implement a new method of minimizing opportunity to run , or maybe despite the difficulties it may cause it may be time for a facility with a tighter security approach. In the end though, usually a person wanting to run can find their ways to do so.